Worst Appliances!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back to the gas vs. electric range. I would love to have a gas range. However, the price of propane (no natural gas out in the sticks) is a deterring factor. It would take a bit to have one installed re: having the "skilled technician" come and do it. Also, one has to special order the propane version vs. the natural gas version. I had a natural gas stove years ago. Other than burning my eyebrows off when lighting the pilot light one time, I loved it. For cleaning, I take my burner rings out every night when I'm doing the dishes, wash those, do a quick wipe underneath, and the stove top before popping the rings and burners back in. Maybe takes me five minutes. Cleaning the rings and underneath is a breeze if it is part of your kitchen cleanup routine. I know most people don't do that. I know at my parents it isn't done regularly. When I'm there, it is (First I go buy new rings with the pans attached...).

Last edited:
Back to the gas vs. electric range. I would love to have a gas range. However, the price of propane (no natural gas out in the sticks) is a deterring factor. It would take a bit to have one installed re: having the "skilled technician" come and do it. Also, one has to special order the propane version vs. the natural gas version.

I cooked with propane for many years (also lived in the sticks). I did notice that pots/pans got more blackened on the bottom than with natural gas. Not a huge deal and certainly better than cooking with electric, IMO.

To the above poster on the George Foreman Grill: I had one of those too, and although I didn't use it much, it did work okay. It now lives at a local restaurant here on the island (Long Island, Bahamas) and is used to make their panini style grilled Cuban sandwich. They have been using it for nearly 2 years with great success.[/QUOTE]

My George Foreman is nicknamed the George Formby - Goofy banjolele/ukelele-playing actor in films in the 1940s one of which was called "Let George Do It" (Geddit?)

George Formby - Count Your Blessings And Smile - YouTube

Last edited:
Back to the gas vs. electric range. I would love to have a gas range. However, the price of propane (no natural gas out in the sticks) is a deterring factor. It would take a bit to have one installed re: having the "skilled technician" come and do it. Also, one has to special order the propane version vs. the natural gas version. I had a natural gas stove years ago. Other than burning my eyebrows off when lighting the pilot light one time, I loved it. For cleaning, I take my burner rings out every night when I'm doing the dishes, wash those, do a quick wipe underneath, and the stove top before popping the rings and burners back in. Maybe takes me five minutes. Cleaning the rings and underneath is a breeze if it is part of your kitchen cleanup routine. I know most people don't do that. I know at my parents it isn't done regularly. When I'm there, it is (First I go buy new rings with the pans attached...).

Believe me, it doesn't get more "out in the sticks" than here in the Out Islands of the Bahamas. LP gas comes in by boat, and it ain't cheap, but then electricity isn't either (diesel runs the generators at the island power plant). So given the choice, I took gas when we built the house.

We are getting ready to move back to the US, and the first thing I'm going to do is replace the electric range with gas in the house we just bought. Despite having cooked with electricity for all but 2 years of my life (67 years young now) I'm a gas convert.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom