Worst Food Memory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
We have all had them at one time or another. A bad experience with food. What are some of yours?

My worst food memory was when I was younger (probably about 8 or 9). I can't stand eggs. It is the one food that I can't eat at all. My mom knows this and would usually never force them on me. Well for whatever reason one night she decided that dinner was scrambled eggs and that was all she was making. I would have been happy to go to bed without dinner, but that was not an option. I was forced to sit at the table and eat a whole plate of them and I could not get up until I was finished. I sat at that table from about 5:30 until probably 9pm or so. The rest of the family was in the next room watching TV and I had to sit at the table starting at that plate of yellow. Mom eventually got so fed up that she turned off the kitchen lights on me and I sat there in the dark looking at my full plate.
Something else must have been going on that I was unaware of because my mom was usually a very nice and understanding woman, but this one time she really lost it IMO. I will never forget that meal. Now that I am having my first child, I will use that experience to make sure that if my daughter doesn't like something that I will not force her to eat it. I WILL make her try new things, but just a taste and if she doesn't like it, well that is OK.

The funny thing about my children is how their tastes changed over the years. Getting them to try new things as tots was futile. Now they will try absolutely anything and consume every morsel I put in front of them. I'm a much more less insecure cook these days...

For me, my worst food nightmare was combining red grapes with chocolate milk at the age of about 12. Got sicker than a dog for a while. Mom, of course, suspected a stomach virus and I didn't have to go to school the next day. Tried the trick a few days later and was again violently ill. And went to school. Nowadays, I still can't stand red grapes. Green are great, but not red. (Still adore chocolate milk, though...)

Mine involves chicken and pineapple together. For some reason my system WILL NOT tolerate any chicken dish with pineapple anything in it. I have had nasty reactions. I continue to try though. I keep hoping some day things will change. More fool me I guess.

I was craving chicken wings really, really bad. A friend and I went to a local place... first time I had been there and the last. The wings were almost raw on the inside... it looked like they only fried them for about 5 min. I didn't have wings for awhile after that.

School, mashed potatoes tasting of detergent, and suet pastry/pudding.

I refused to eat them, so no playtime.

Darkstream said:
School, mashed potatoes tasting of detergent, and suet pastry/pudding.

I refused to eat them, so no playtime.

I had a couple incidents like that involving tomato soup and macaroni and cheese. I got the paddle. :LOL:

Two that I can think of ...

My body refuses to accept beef liver. Mom tried everything to get me to eat it ... I tried but it just wouldn't stay down.

Another faux pas was when a nurse I worked with gave me a bread recipe on a 3x5 card .... I didn't think to turn it over and read the rest of the directions on the back ... worked the 2nd time when I did.

One time at band camp.............

ok seriously, my grandmother used to babysit us. She is of German decent. Well I could not for the life of me figure out why she would make these awful meals and expect us to eat them. One of these was Borscht...GACK!!! I wil not EVER eat that again NEVER!!! She would make us as well sit at the table till it was gone. If mom came to pick us up it didnt matter we still sat there. Clod Borscht is grross...same goes with vegatable soup, I couldn't eat that for the longest time.

When I was about 9ish and my mom was working me and my sis would come home frfom school to have a snack. I wanted Shreddies and you HAVE to top shreddies with brown sugar..NOT white, but brown. Anyways, we were out of milk. So I phoned mom at work to tell her to bring some home. She miss interpetted me and told me to have juice. I dont think she realized I wanted cereal but jsut a drink. Well bottom line is....Orange Juice and Shreddies with Brown sugar DO NOT mix!!!!!!

Lesson Learned!!!

My grandma has a bad habit of storing mothballs in with her tupperware. She used to send me leftovers in tupperware & the food would taste liks mothballs! It was NASTY!!!!

Mine was sauerkraut aparently my mother didn't know anything about cooking so from as far back as I can remember (about 4 years old) my sister, brother and I were fixed nothing but plain ole sauerkraut with weiners for supper every night and to this day I can't stand even so much as the sight and smell of sauerkraut.

My mom had a habit of making a double recipe of mashed potatoes so some would be leftover for lefse (Norwegian flatbread). SHe would also use them the next day for potatoe patties. One night my brother came home and found this rolled up package in the fridge and assumed it was potatoes. Soooo he added pepper, made the patties and floured them and fired them in the skillet, and opened a can of gravey. He did not realize until he took a bite that the stuff was sugar cookie dough. I found that very funny even though he did not. He must have had a nasal problem because I would never take forgranted stuff in a package in the fridge, sniffing works. He did not do that again, and my mom was really angry as she was to make the cookies in the morning to take to her ladies club meeting.

While it's not a worst story, it is something I find really bothersome.

I went to a child's birthday party a few years ago. Lots and lots of people there. When I saw the cake, I couldn't get over the fact that we were eating a cake with the face of the kid on the cake.

I just find it so unappetizing to be eating a cake decorated with the face of a real person, much less the child of honor...

"Oh! Look! I'm eating your nose!"

So many stories, so little time!
My mothers dompf noodle..a strange heavy yeasty bread thing with CANNED peaches!

When I first dated my husband his mother was just venturing into chinese food. I come from a metropolitan area with some finer dining chinese restaurants so I really enjoy Chinese...and Thai and Sushi and...oh back on track, anyway I was game for a home cooked Chinese meal.
It turned out to me chow mein from a CAN! Yuk. She has since improved!

When my sister and I were teenagers our neighbors invited us over for spaghetti. I LOVE garlic. However, this spaghetti had SO much garlic that it almost made us sick. We both ate our whole plate of food, to be polite. No matter how many showers we took, our pores oozed strong garlic for days! No one could stand to be near us. The good news is that we were also not bothered by vampires or werewolves!

:) Barbara

Barbara L said:
When my sister and I were teenagers our neighbors invited us over for spaghetti. I LOVE garlic. However, this spaghetti had SO much garlic that it almost made us sick. We both ate our whole plate of food, to be polite. No matter how many showers we took, our pores oozed strong garlic for days! No one could stand to be near us. The good news is that we were also not bothered by vampires or werewolves!

LOL Barbara... I posted a recipe over in the "Sauces, etc" category.. you won't want that then..that has 10 cloves"

Juliev said:
Barbara L said:

LOL Barbara... I posted a recipe over in the "Sauces, etc" category.. you won't want that then..that has 10 cloves"
I love garlic, and I use a lot of it myself! But this spaghetti was absolutely bitter with it. It didn't have that good garlicky taste. It was awful! When people can smell you coming because of the garlic smell coming from your skin, that's not quite normal!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom