Worth taking the risk? Refrigerator door accidentally left open.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
forgot to close the door of refrigerator for about 2 hours. Eggs are imported from Japan and supposed to be kept between 0 to 4 degree C. They are really nice eggs. But looks like it is advised to toss them after 2 hours of taking out to the room temperature if they are supposed to be kept chilled. What do you think?

How about boiling the whole eggs together with the outer shell for 10 minutes? Will it be safer because the whole shell is also boiled.

Last edited:
Was the door open all the way or just slightly. Keep in mind the refrigerator will run longer to keep the temperature inside at the right level. So it's not as if the refrigerator stopped working, it was working extra hard.

I would assume everything is still good.

Personally, I wouldn´t throw them out after such a short time - and they were still in the fridge, even though the door was open.

Was the door open all the way or just slightly. Keep in mind the refrigerator will run longer to keep the temperature inside at the right level. So it's not as if the refrigerator stopped working, it was working extra hard.

I would assume everything is still good.

The door was open just slightly but a lot of water was already seen to condense on different containers and my can of coke was not cold anymore when I found the problem so I believe most food inside went up to more than 20 degree c already. The eggs are still kept there now , waiting for decision.

What is the best way of cooking them in order to be more safe? I used to fry scramble eggs so this is not my option now for these eggs

Last edited:
The door was open just slightly but a lot of water was already seen to condense on different containers and my can of coke was not cold anymore when I found the problem so I believe most food inside went up to more than 20 degree c already. The eggs are still kept there now , waiting for decision.

What is the best way of cooking them in order to be more safe? I used to fry scramble eggs so this is not my option now for these eggs

kenny, you don't have to take any special steps. The eggs are safe to eat cooked any way you like.

In many parts of the world, eggs are not refrigerated at all. So two hours with the door slightly open is NOT AN ISSUE. Relax and enjoy your eggs.

kenny, you don't have to take any special steps. The eggs are safe to eat cooked any way you like.

In many parts of the world, eggs are not refrigerated at all. So two hours with the door slightly open is NOT AN ISSUE. Relax and enjoy your eggs.

I agree.

Kenny, I say this with a gentle nudge, you first asked on the 3rd, today is the 8th. So cook those eggs however you wanted to and be done with it. :LOL:

Answers will change with time! Don't over think this and don't work yourself into a tizzy! LOL - no matter the decision you make... I'm pretty sure it will be the right one!

Yes, I would take the risk. The fridge must have compensated to keep everything cold by working harder.

Kenny, I say this with a gentle nudge, you first asked on the 3rd, today is the 8th. So cook those eggs however you wanted to and be done with it. :LOL:

Answers will change with time! Don't over think this and don't work yourself into a tizzy! LOL - no matter the decision you make... I'm pretty sure it will be the right one!

The eggs have not yet expired, and I don't urgently need to eat an egg. Then, why not asking?:cool:

Hi Florence, yes, as medtran has said, this thread is from July of this year. When you look at the postings you can see in the coloured bar above the posters name and avatar, the date of post. As you scroll thru the Thread you will notice all the different times other posters add in their comments.
It's not a problem to add to an older post, often a really old post (maybe even a year old?) is added to. Sometimes called "bump" by bumping it up into the foreground. New advice and ideas are often added this way.

And BTW - WELCOME to DC!

Back
Top Bottom