Wot's in't pan, Stan? Dinner 12/22/13.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tesco... that's the stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap store. Right? :LOL:
That's how they started but they are getting above themselves now. Trying to be an up-market grocers with expensive goods on one hand and a cheap store with poor quality on the other. ("All fur coat and no knickers" as an old northern English expression puts it). Mind you, they make a lot of money.

Tesco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not a food snob, at least I don't think I am. I'm partial to Morrisons, Aldi (both of whom have a good range, quality and variety of goods) and the Co-operative (mainly because of the Co-op's ethical sourcing policies for its own brand goods and its profit-sharing arrangements with members. It's own brand goods are, in the main, very good quality.) To be fair I like Waitrose and Sainsbury's too but they aren't as conveniently sited for where I live and they are a bit more expensive.

Tesco are poisonous in their treatment of their smaller suppliers and not much better with their staff.

That's how they started but they are getting above themselves now. Trying to be an up-market grocers with expensive goods on one hand and a cheap store with poor quality on the other. ("All fur coat and no knickers" as an old northern English expression puts it). Mind you, they make a lot of money.

I'm not a food snob, at least I don't think I am. I'm partial to Morrisons, Aldi (both of whom have a good range, quality and variety of goods) and the Co-operative (mainly because of the Co-op's ethical sourcing policies for its own brand goods and its profit-sharing arrangements with members. It's own brand goods are, in the main, very good quality.) To be fair I like Waitrose and Sainsbury's too but they aren't as conveniently sited for where I live and they are a bit more expensive.

Tesco are poisonous in their treatment of their smaller suppliers and not much better with their staff.
So, maybe they are more like a North American Wallmart.

I had some more turkey to use up( leftovers from the work potluck on Friday) so I made a tetrazzini and DH made a nice green salad. We taste tested the white chocolate cranberry fudge for dessert. Yummmm!

Scored a veal strip loin from work. I tied it up and rubbed it with a paste made up of parsley, rosemary, herb du provence, garlic, pepper, truffle oil. Now, let it sit out for another hour then slow/low roast it using the reverse sear method. Serving it with a mushroom/demi glace sauce and going to have double stuffed potatoes, and some kind of veg that I will probably leave on my plate...[/QU...OTE]
nice job:chef:!looks deelish & i'm luvvin' the use of truffle oil,one of my favs:yum:!!

firstly all of the big 5 have their "budget range" & their "finest range",including waitrose & sainsbury.tesco introduced their finest range at least ten years ago to my knowledge.tesco,led & the other 4 copied/followed.same with the budget range.one of the keys to tesco's success is that they are innovators.
all of the big 5 pressurise their supplies on prices/margins.the answer is simple.if you don't want to deal with tesco,then don't.if it wasn't for the big 5,how many farms,bakeries & clothing manufacturers etc would still be in business,both here & abroad?not many i'll wager,and where would their workforces be.unemployed.
i have close ties with tesco on a number of levels,in addition to being a shopper for some 40 years.they are no worse an employer than any of the other major supermarkets in my experience.they pay the national average for the appropriate job.the hours are long,the work heavy at times & of course,EVERYONE would like to earn more.but that's retailing.
the bottom line is that tesco is a model that many retailers here & abroad have tried to emulate.having been in marketing & sales myself,for nearly 40 years,i can tell you that their marketing/brand awareness is second to none,their store placement strategy is superb(apart from the american disaster!) & they offer the best range out of the big 5 on both food & none food.all of this results in huge footfall & customer loyalty.
finally,if it wasn't for tesco & the other 4 supermarket brands adopting charities,where would an awful lot of needy/unwell people be?tesco give massive support to the trussel trust who are the charity that runs the food banks that i volunteer for.
it's nearly 2014,it's the real world.you should join the rest of us.

Last edited:
Roch, what's the "reverse sear method"? Whatever it is, that roast sounds yummy.
mornin' tax.most people sear the meat at a high heat,then finish the cooking at a lower temp.this is the reverse,you cook the meat at a low temp to a desired point of "doneness" then whack up the heat towards the end of cooking,to sear it.some chefs cook meat sous/sans vide in a waterbath then finish off by searing in a hot pan.same thing.

That's how I cooked my steak the other night. Indirect heat, then over the coals to finish. It's a good way to cook a thick piece of meat and achieve the same doneness all the way through, but also have that color we like on the outside.

mornin' tax.most people sear the meat at a high heat,then finish the cooking at a lower temp.this is the reverse,you cook the meat at a low temp to a desired point of "doneness" then whack up the heat towards the end of cooking,to sear it.some chefs cook meat sous/sans vide in a waterbath then finish off by searing in a hot pan.same thing.
Thanks Harry.

Back
Top Bottom