Would you buy a '71 GMC 2500?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn White

Sous Chef
Hey I noticed some of the members are into vehicles so I'm looking for some input. I don't know a lot about vehicles, but I could do most of the maintenance on this rig.

I have a chance to get a 71 GMC 3/4 ton truck, original owner (from family) for a couple of thousand bucks.

original motor, 350 big block, 4 bolt main, 350 Invader on valve covers, 4 barrel carb (newer)

3 speed auto ... 16" split rims (tubed tires) + a set of 16" rims for tubeless tires

130,000 original miles, only 2000 miles since engine was rebuilt ... not sure about tranny, I think he said it is but has been rebuilt ... runs Amsoil in tranny, rear end, engine and air filter ... great compression all cylinders.

The seats have always been covered. The vinyl dash piece needs to be recovered. Electrical is all working. Original bumpers and grill. Front and rear hitches, custom spare tire mount on front of truck. 3 fuel tanks (I forget the capacities).

As for the body it needs some work. Some new steel should be welded in driver's side 'door jam' at the floor. Also passenger side of the outside of the box could be replaced (new 1/4 panel?). The box is in good shape, it's been covered by a camper most of the time. The whole truck needs a paint job.

I know of someone who does great body and paint work in his garage on his own time for peanuts.

I want a truck for hauling stuff around, so that I can buy and pull a holiday trailer for the family, maybe to pull a smoker around someday, and occassionally to use as a second vehicle.

Now I was thinking I'd get the body work and paint job done. Maybe put a newer 4 speed transmission in for better fuel economy. Maybe get the box sprayed and put one of those locking hinged box covers on with struts.

Whatchya think?

While I'm on it ... he's got a 70 1/2 Camaro RS sitting in his quansit that his son found in a field. It needs MAJOR body and interior work. Frankly I think it should go to the bone yard. Needs new body panels all around, the trunk has holes in it, the interior is trashed. Even if it has original power train is it worth trying to fix or sell?

Shawn,
I wouldn't buy a brand new GM product, much less one that's 34 years old. I'd buy a 71 Toyota though!!! (Larry's ducking for cover from all the Ford and GM fanatics)!

Susan, I do like the look of it and I love the sound of that V-8 purring along :( ... as for 'working truck', I live in the city and I'm a programmer ... the most action this thing is going to see until I can get a holiday trailer is a trip to dump, hauling a few 2X4s around, maybe a bit of furniture or firewood ... that sort of thing.

The BrotherIL thinks he has something really valuable in that Camaro but I agree with you. Part out what he can and be done with it. I just cringe when he starts talking about fixing it up cuz I know what it'll be like when he is finished with it. Sheet metal, pop rivets & lots of Bondo.

Larry, do any of these used imports float your boat? Aren't import more expensive to fix when they do need work? How about finding parts for older imports?

Jersey BBQ said:
I am with Larry through and through. I wouldn't
think about buying a new GM product much less an antique. Find yourself a TOYOTA and enjoy trouble free dependable transportation.... :(

(ps. The Chevrolet 350 is not a big block... :eek: )
:) ..... oops ...

In general so far it sounds like it's too old to be practical. :-( My Father IL bought it new and I know it's been looked after which is a big plus for me. :-k Still undecided :-k . I'm going over there tomorrow, I'll take some pics and post em. Thanks for your comments!

Shawn White said:
Susan, I do like the look of it and I love the sound of that V-8 purring along :( ... as for 'working truck', I live in the city and I'm a programmer ... the most action this thing is going to see until I can get a holiday trailer is a trip to dump, hauling a few 2X4s around, maybe a bit of furniture or firewood ... that sort of thing.

The BrotherIL thinks he has something really valuable in that Camaro but I agree with you. Part out what he can and be done with it. I just cringe when he starts talking about fixing it up cuz I know what it'll be like when he is finished with it. Sheet metal, pop rivets & lots of Bondo.

Larry, do any of these used imports float your boat? Aren't import more expensive to fix when they do need work? How about finding parts for older imports?

[quote="Jersey BBQ":dwseeo9y]I am with Larry through and through. I wouldn't
think about buying a new GM product much less an antique. Find yourself a TOYOTA and enjoy trouble free dependable transportation.... :(

(ps. The Chevrolet 350 is not a big block... :eek: )
:) ..... oops ...

In general so far it sounds like it's too old to be practical. :-( My Father IL bought it new and I know it's been looked after which is a big plus for me. :-k Still undecided :-k . I'm going over there tomorrow, I'll take some pics and post em. Thanks for your comments![/quote:dwseeo9y]

Shawn, I don't see anything I'd invest my money into. If you are looking to spend $2-$3K for something dependable, look for a Toyota with a 22RE motor in it. They are practically unbreakable. Not the most powerful motor by a long shot. But if you wanna get from point a to point b withoug spending alot of money, they're a great investment.

Shawn, Realistically it's worth about $500.00 (IMHO) Not to mention the damage it will inflict to your cash at the fuel pump. The split rims are bad news. You may end up with a money pit. Don't forget about the age of the brake system and brake lines, How old are they? Would you trust your family's safety hauling a trailer with a truck that old? So you replace the whole brake system, Get 4 new tires, Oh yea, What about the radiator? Belts, Hoses, Trans cooling lines. Well just replace all that stuff too. Don't want to brake down going on a camping trip on a long week end. Humm, So you spend about 3 grand to fix it up, On top of the 2 grand you bought it for and what do you have? A 1971 3/4 ton pick up for 5 grand that still looks like crap with over a hundred thousand on the trany. I'd pass.

Ok guys, here are the pics.

Also posted some pics of the FatherIL's '56 Pontiac and the BrotherIL's junky '70 1/2 Camaro RS just for fun.

I guess I'll probably let the truck go, but MotherIL is on the case now and wants to GIVE it to us. Might have a hard time saying no. :grin:

Edit: correction ... it's a '56 Pontiac, sry

Shawn White said:
Ok guys, here are the pics.

Also posted some pics of the FatherIL's '56 Pontiac and the BrotherIL's junky '70 1/2 Camaro RS just for fun.

I guess I'll probably let the truck go, but MotherIL is on the case now and wants to GIVE it to us. Might have a hard time saying no. :grin:

Edit: correction ... it's a '56 Pontiac, sry

Shawn, since it's free what do you have to lose other than the money you put into it. If it's free, it runs and you have a couple extra bucks to get it running better, I'd prolly do it. Free is good. Good luck buddy!

Back
Top Bottom