you can teach an old dog new tricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millicent

Assistant Cook
Hi, ive decided to join this site as my cooking has gotten boring and theres quite a few things i cant make and i think its about time i learned as its very restricting.

I hate eating in Restaurants and would rather eat at home. I dont mind the odd take away but mainly i like traditional food.

Ive got a lovely recipe for a cut and come again cake (unless youve already got it) I got it from an elderly lady (rest in peace) who i used to visit.

Im most proud of my gravy...........thats about all im proud of :)

Welcome, millicent! You've come to the right place. Please share the recipes for the cake and your gravy with us. I'm sure there are many here who would love to try them.

Join in the fun. It's great here at DC.

millicent said:
Hi, ive decided to join this site as my cooking has gotten boring and theres quite a few things i cant make and i think its about time i learned as its very restricting.

I hate eating in Restaurants and would rather eat at home. I dont mind the odd take away but mainly i like traditional food.

Ive got a lovely recipe for a cut and come again cake (unless youve already got it) I got it from an elderly lady (rest in peace) who i used to visit.

Im most proud of my gravy...........thats about all im proud of :)

Where there is smoke, there is fire. Where there is gravy....there might be roast, duckling, lamb......Yum!

I do some cut & color parties around the holidays and I would love to have your cut and come again cake especially for the reunions and community neighborhood welcome block parties. It would also be nice to have some for the fall festival. And welcome to DC....with the buzz about food, I feel like I know you already!

thankyou

What a lovely welcome. Ive posted the recipe in the cake section.
I do hope you can find the same ingredients in your country. I dont mind posting some out to people, as long as its light.

Theres a few items in America that id like so maybe we could swap through the post? just a thought. There are cooperatives in the us among the british community, and they import many products from the uk, they can order for you if they dont stock it.
I lived many years ago, in adelanto, california, only for a few months, but i still miss the Betty Crocker (im sorry its just a mix) vanilla cake and banana cake. You can get the fudge cake here but thats all.

And the pillsbury dough cinnamon biscuits? unheard of in the uk.:(
I havent tasted these for about 20years.

There are actually some good places you can get lots of US things by post Millicent, usually designed for the American expat market, annoyingly I have lost the links I used to have, but I'm sure google would bring them up. Essentially, they are what you describe for the UK market in US, have a look, I think you'll strike lucky! Although, I'm surprised you can't get Betty Crocker vanilla cake easily in Sussex, you can get in some w.sussex supermarkets (or used to some years ago) and if you ever drive into Surrey the Sainsbury's there stocks LOADS of US things (it is not far from the American school).

Also, if you are really craving Betty Crocker cake mixes and are prepared to pay a postage check with Selfridges and Harrods, both of whom should post to you if they have in stock. :)

cor

ooooh, thanks for that info Lulu. Ill definately look up that shop in surrey. I will telephone them and see what they have.
Ive posted my award winning gravy (i havent won any awards, its just a nickname)in the sauce section, i do hope you like.

erm are there many brits on here?

Welcome Millicent. Lovely to have anothe UKer here.
This site is NEVER boring and there's always so much to find.
I'm quite sure you'll enjoy it. I'm off to look for your cake recipe!:)

A few, including someone lovely who come to think of it hasn't been oon for a while. On top of the Brits in Britain there are a couple of British expats and Americans/Canadians/other international members who know Britain well.....which is great too. There are, I think, more Europeans here than when I joined, in any case, I just get over excited when Brits join, lol! Its great talking to people outside the geographical confines because you get different ideas about what to do with the same ingrediants...which is a huge plus point. In any case, apart from my initial excitement, it doesn't matter so much, we are a good community and it doesn't matter where the mambers are from for that!

Should have said the Sainsbury's is the Cobham one....M25 junction....er, 9, I think? Near RHS Wisely if that helps. If its for postage though I'd go for one of the London foodhalls....and DO google for USA food supplies. In the SE it should not be so hard!

i certainly will

thanks for the support. You just made me remember a recipe i got while i was on holiday in Portugal. I must put it on this site.

Hello Millicent, and welcome to DC. :)

Your cut and come cake recipe sounds wonderful!! I'll definitely have to give it a try.

But I've got a question. I've never heard the term "cut and come" for a cake before. I suppose it's an English term? What exactly does it refer to? It makes me think that it means that a person gets a piece of cut cake if they come to get it?? :ermm:

Hi Garry, i think it means if you cut your guest a slice, he will want to come and visit you again. It certainly worked with me, visiting this little old lady.
It took me a year to get this recipe from her. She was a little lady and very mild and gentle. I loved her. Thankyou Vera Race RIP

Hello and welcome millicent to DC. I know you will find our fantastic Cooking Site be filled with lots of receipes and our wonderful members are fantastic chefs.

Have a great day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom