Your best marinade for pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
What is the best recipe you've came across? I usually buy boneless pork chops, however, if I'm frying them then I always get the ones with the bone.

I don't usually do anything much to pork. Sometimes teriyaki...I am anxious to see what people come up with for you. I will be waiting to copy and paste myself.

teriyaki is what I mostly use. sometimes i use adobo seasoning with pepper. basically it is salt , pepper, oregano, it also has msg so i use it sparingly. garlic powder, black pepper, rosemary is another good combo. If you want to give your chops a little kick try crushed red pepper. i also use the sauce below. pardon the typing it isn't easy one handed.

Sohan Sauce

3 tablespoons soy sauce
9 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger root
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons honey or sugar
Wine to taste

Mix all ingredients together. Marinate meat overnight.

Nice sauce, sierra! Minus the oil, I add all of these to a brine that I soak chops in for four hours or so and it's really good. Brining, of any nature, has totally prevented dry pork and poultry across the board for me. I'll never be the same after learning about brining here!

Try this next time over a bed of rice w/ a fried egg (over easy), picked carrots, slices of cucumber & tomato & Vietnamese fish sauce (the home made stuff, not the bottle)

-thick soy sauce
-garlic powder/minced garlic
-seasoning salt
-a splash of thunderbird

Yeah, I said it!!! THUNDERBIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :LOL: My Dad is the one that introduced me to marinating my pork with the BIRD. Pan fry the chops like you normally do

From all kinds of marinades for meat-to-be-grilled the simplest and the most favourite one of mine is

Onion juice marinade.
3-4 lbs onions
whole and freshly ground pepper
salt

Peel and juice onions, add other ingredients (i sometimes add other favourite herbs and spices, 1 small bay leaf), stir and cover prepared for marinating meat (washed, dried with a towel and cut). Cover. Let stand for 2 hours in a cool place or refrigerate overnight (you may put onion rings on top of meat making an additional cover.
Onion juice preserves meat and you can keep it uncooked refrigerated for up to 3 days in this marinade.

The recipe is good not only for pork. I use it for beef and chicken also. Chicken is ready to cook within 1 hour. :)

Another marinade i like to use is a buttermilk marinade.
2-3 medium onions (cut into rings)
1-2 cups light buttermilk (quantity depends on qty of meat)
salt, ground pepper, curry & chili powder, bay leaf

Combine all ingredients, add meat, cover. Refrigerate overnight or let stand 2-3 hours in 65-70F.

Last edited:
I usually just marinade mine in Italian dressing and leave some in the pan to keep moisture in. Any of the pork steaks or pork chops come out very tender with it.

Try a rub. There are thousands. Emeril's Essence any of dozens more in the spice section of the market or, if you use Penzey's (penzeys.com) try their pork chop seasoning.

Here's my basic marinade. I usually make a sauce for it so heavily seasoning the marinade would be a waste:

Basic Marinade

Yield: 1 cup of marinade

3/4 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. Fresh Rosemary
2 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme
2 Tbsp. Fresh Parsley
2 cloves Fresh Garlic
1/2 tsp. Red Chili Flakes
Juice of one Fresh Lemon

Combine in food processor or blender and blend until all ingredients are incorporated. In a ziploc bag or shallow marinating dish, rub marinade into meat and let sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Season with kosher salt right before cooking.

I came across this recipe years ago in a Better Homes and Garden BBQ book. I've altered it a little, but it's still the best rub and sauce I've ever tasted. Hope you all like it too!

BBQ Rub and Sauce for Pork

Dry Rub:
2 tbl sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp dry mustard

Mix all together, sprinkle generously on meat, and rub in thoroughly. Let stand two hours.

Sauce:
1/2 cup catsup
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tbl soy sauce
2 tsp ground ginger (or fresh or jarred)
1 tsp granulated garlic (or fresh or jarred)
1/2 tsp Tobasco sauce

Combine ingredients in saucepan. Cook and stir till sugar is dissolved. Brush mixture on both sides of meat and grill until done. Heat remaining sauce and serve on the side.

*I make up 3-4 batches of the sauce and rub at a time, storing spices in a shaker jar in my cupboard, and the sauce in the fridge.

*This method is good for any type of pork. My husband likes to crisp the meat up on the grill and let some of the fat drip off before he brushes it with the sauce.

Try cardamom

Andy M. said:
Try a rub. There are thousands...
I agree. :) Even though I spent a lot of time a few years trying to find the perfect rub on the Internet, I usually just round up some spices out of the cabinet, and grind them in a dedicated coffee mill.

For pork, I like to add cardamom to the mix. In fact, for frying chops, my family appears to enjoy a flour coating which contains only seasoned salt, pepper, and cardamom.

Tom

I was watching Michael Chiorello yesterday, and after he uses his coffee mill to grind spices, he runs some bread through it to clean it.

Constance said:
...he uses his coffee mill to grind spices, he runs some bread through it to clean it.
I grind uncooked rice to clean mine.

Tom

Yesterday I used
about 3 - 4 TBLS Jamaican Jerk seasoning
a couple TBLS soy sauce
a couple TBLS vinegar
about 1/4 vegetable oil
marinade over night, turning a few times
grill until 'just' done (defintely not cooked well done)

Everyone loves these!!!

(I served it with Zatarain's Carribean rice... that stuff is great!)

A very basic rub I love to make in my mortar and pestle is

1 tbsp black pepper corns
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp fresh thyme
salt to taste
1/2 tsp lemon juice
olive oil to bind into a thick paste

Mash it all up and spread it on thick. You could probably marninate the pork for a while in a simple brine of 1/2C sugar, 1/2 C salt, some garlic cloves, half a lemon, and water.

The mortar and pestle makes herb/pepper rubs like this shine.

Drew

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom