Your favorite TV cheff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buckytom......never heard of her, lidia matticchio bastianich from lidia's italian american kitchen, what station is she on and when? I love Italian cooking so I'd like to watch this one.

I love Nigella Lawson, she is my absolute favourite, I use her recipes a lot. She is realistic, clever and witty.

I can't stand Jamie Oliver, I used to love him when he was younger, but we get Jamie overload here, and I am fed up with him now. All his recipes seem variations of about 5 themes.

I have a love hate relationship with Garry Rhodes, I really like his recipes, but as a presenter, he annoys me. I do love his Autumn into Winter, Spring into Summer series, as he does a lot of recipes with just a music background and no talking, which works really well.

SizzlininIN said:
Buckytom......never heard of her, lidia matticchio bastianich from lidia's italian american kitchen, what station is she on and when? I love Italian cooking so I'd like to watch this one.

sizz, i catch her on pbs like gb said. i have to try to look up her show schedule, but you can go to her website, i think it's www.lidiasitaly.com

she cooks both authentic italian regional dishes, as well as italian american favorites. it is a no bs kinda show, just good plain directions on how to prepare and serve great meals.

Lidia reminds me of everyones grandmother. You know, the one who is the best cook in the world.

The TV chefs I mss the most are Pierre Franey and Justin Wilson. Those two guys were compelling in their own ways.

Pierre Franey was a classically trained french chef who had some really neat tricks that I use to this day.

Justin Wilson was a hoot with his belt and suspenders. His cooking may or may not have been the best, but he sure was fun to watch. I loved his little stories and descriptive language.

Of the living, Rocco Dispirito is my favorite. Shocker, huh? I like him because he down right makes this novice (me) look like a pro. :P

BTW, I think Bobby Flay gets a bum rap. I have yet to see Tony Bourdaine cook anything. Paula Deen's finger licking and double dipping drives me up a wall. Rachael Ray's recipes are not always tasty. Alton Brown's recipes don't always work and he says a lot of misleading things.

A chef is what he (or she) cooks.

Any who appear on a television have lost the art of cooking in favour of the art of self publicity.

Darkstream said:
A chef is what he (or she) cooks.

Any who appear on a television have lost the art of cooking in favour of the art of self publicity.

So - You're saying people the caliber of Jacques Pepin, Julia Child, James Beard, have 'lost the art of cooking'? I have to say I must most emphatically disagree!!

To all the 'Liddia' fans - her cookbooks are fantastic - I have 'em all, and they're all very 'user friendly'!

Bangbang said:
I wish Racheal Ray would wear hot pants on her show.
rrr.png

buckytom said:
some of my favs have been mentioned here, but i really enjoy lidia matticchio bastianich from lidia's italian american kitchen.

tutti a tavola a mangiare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me too, buckytom :) I have several of her cookbooks and enjoy and use them a lot.
kadesma 8)

Sorry I did not read all the posts...but caught the idea of where you guys are going...(I've watched cooking TV since Graham Kerr, so you get where I come from!)

I believe that Emeril is\was the best, in that he showed a lot more than do others, and if you didn't like the "chattiness" well, too bad, does anyone not have a "mute" function on the remote? His recipes taste great, and you could watch a show, and replicate it fairly easily...

I also got to eat his product back in the early/mid '90's when he worked at KPaul's in New Orleans, and granting the point that us Canucks seldom get "crawdad's", his were an epitome...

Jaimie Oliver is probably a good cook, and we'd like him if we ate his stuff, but agree he isn't a showman on TV, not is the dialogue that interesting...

Rachel is nice "eye candy", but as far as offering recipes that you can bridge from, its not happening, even if the dialogue is pleasing...

Michael Smith is a bit more interesting, in spite of the weird hair, every once in a while he really does expose how to "do" it...

"Iron Chef" (NOT THE MEMBER!) is getting tiresome, tho' it was interestesting a few years ago...nobody has those ingredients to work with or from, and I think they tip off the contestants...the judging panel has zero knowledge of NA tastes ...

Okay, I've spouted off enough...

Lifter

I can only just tolerate Bobby Flay's programs whren he has his fiancee on or when Jackie Malouf was on with him. The show where he had the butcher, fish monger, etc.( I understand they were actors) and his "friends" hanging over his shoulders while a select few got to eat was asinine in my opinion. I only watched when I was really bored and had nothing to read.

I like him when he is on his own and have made some of his recipes with good results. He has given some really good advice about grilling, which I used to dislike doing because I didn't know how.

Jacques and Julia are still my faves. Classic food, classic techniques, classy people.

Lidia and the blondes who work for Christopher Kimball are next. Chris and his bowtie I can do without.

Clarissa and Jennifer, the Two Fat Ladies, were a hoot to listen to, but I didn't always want to eat the food they prepared. I did love all the locations they went to.

Alton Brown is fun to watch, kind of like the geeky next-door neighbor
guy who shows you how to fix your computer with some rubber bands and paper clips.

Rachel Ray is too perky for my taste. Sara Moulton is almost there too.

Emeril has about wore my butt out, but I usually like what he's cooking.

psiguyy, I loved "zhoo-stahn"! He had his shtick going too, but it's my kind of shtick.

Have only seen enough of Michael Chiarello to know I need to see more. Seems to have a laid-back approach that appeals to me.

Ming Tsai - waaaaaaaaay cute. Doesn't matter what he's cooking.

The ick factor - Bobby Flay, Yan Can Cook

Iron Chef - so corny it's cool.

Mario was better when he did the other show where he traveled around to different places in Italy. I wanna see those orange clogs again.

Back
Top Bottom