Your opinions on laundry detergent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
Do you guys feel there is much of a difference between the expensive brands and the generics?

What is your favorite brand? Do you only use one kind or do you buy what is on special?

I've used name brands before, but I've used the cheapest generic kind for years now and see no difference. I do pretreat spots with Shout spray. Another tip, I hang dry cotton and nylon clothes on plastic hangers or folding racks instead of the drier, too. They seem to look like new so much longer.

we don't use a clothes dryer. since i finished our basement and have heating/dehumidification installed (my parrots live down there, so it's like another living room), we hang all of our clothes on lines. you'd be surprised at how much better it is for your clothes.
and it saves a load of energy.

as far as detergent goes, my wife swears by tide or all. no generics or low cost stuff for a clothes horse.

We use alot of "on sale" liquids....I see very little difference...We have an electric-holic dryer, but there is nothing like sheets hung on an outside line all day in the fresh breezes and sunshine...Wow!!!

I've used liquid Tide for over 40 years and wouldn't use anything else. I've tried other detergents, generics and others and feel Tide does the best job.

I don't use powdered detergent because of the additives that are in them to prevent them from caking in the package. I'd rather not have that in my washer "gunking" up the works.

I don't use any of the "added" versions, just plain old Tide. The only thing I add to my wash water is 1/2 cup of Arm & Hammer baking soda. I believe it helps the detergent do a better job.

I, too, rarely use the dryer. In addition to saving money/energy, our clothes smell better and last longer when I line dry them. Think about it. All that fuzzy stuff in the lint trap is really tiny bits of what was dried in the dryer.

I use a brand put out by Costco. It's a powder and it doesn't have fragrance or additives in it. I've been happy with it.

I use liquid Era and it does a very good job.
I add Borax powder especially to whites, bed linens and towels. Can't hang laundry where we live..deed restrictions.

I was taught when I went to appliance repair school back in the 90`s that tide was the
worst thing you could put in your washer, I dont know if they have changed the formula
or know I don`t use it. I use mainly a generic, and a sears solar dryer.

I use surf. At first it was because I just liked the name(ans I surf a lot), but I like it above other brands. Does a great job of getting stains out of mu coats, and smells great.

Tide makes my arms itch for some reason...just my arms.

I have used Arm and Hammer for years. Some prefer the perfumed soaps, but I just can't justify the difference in price. A bottle of good perfume would probably go a long way, in the rinse water. I have on occasion tried the more expensive ones but they didn't make any difference in the way they cleaned.

Dirt can't hide from intensified Tide!

I prefer the Tide with the color-safe bleach, but regular Tide, and all the other flavors of Tide, are the best on the market as far as getting things clean. Liquid or powder doesn't matter.

In tests that rate detergents, Tide in one form or another usually is head and shoulders above all the others.

That being said, unless you have family members who regularly get clothes VERY dirty with ground in dirt, grass stains, etc., most detergents eill work just fine.

I use generics in some things, but I have not had any luck with generic laundry detergents. If I use them too long the clothes seem to get dingier, and I have had the agitator on the washing machine turn orange from some of them.

I do buy what is on sale, but only within a few brands. I really like liquid Tide, but I also use Era, Whisk, Cheer, Bold, Surf, and Gain. As with shampoo, I think it is good to change now and then, but I do only use name brands.

:)Barbara

Last edited:
As with shampoo, I think it is good to change now and then, but I do only use name brands.

:)Barbara
I've been using Tide exclusively even longer than I have been using Tres Emme exclusively. I've tried most available brands of both laundry detergent and shampoo, and I have learned to stick with what works best.

In fact, I first bought Tres Emme shampoo not only becuase you get a quart for the same price or less than you pay for 16 ounces of any other sahmpoo, but also because it was the only name brand on the shelf who's instructions did not specify "Lather, Rinse, and Repeat. I figured if it can't get the job done the first time, I'm not interested.

That being said, unless you have family members who regularly get clothes VERY dirty with ground in dirt, grass stains, etc., most detergents eill work just fine.

When I first started doing my own laundry I had a son who could mange to get dirty in a cacoon (he could also manage to lose a sock without taking his shoes off, but that's for another time). That, plus a budding ice hockey career (stinky equipment and uniforms) and an adversion to bloody noses when the humidity dropped or the elevation changed dramatically, caused me to switch to Tide with bleach permanently. I've had women marvel at how easily I can get blood out of stuff!. There's just me now, but like I said, I have a tendency to stick with what I find works best, so whenever I see Tide on sale, regardless whether it's liquid or powder, I buy it and stash it in the garage. I currently have one box and two bottles down there.

I'm a Tide girl too. I tend to use quite a bit less than it suggests though. When I worked in retail, the P&G salesman used to tell us that you only need about a 1/4 of the soap that they suggest you use. (Which accounts for many allergic reactions) So...I hardly use any detergent at all. I DO use OxiClean to boost whites, or bleach sometimes, and I also like the new dual action Spray and Wash stain remover thingy.

I'm a Tide girl too. I tend to use quite a bit less than it suggests though. When I worked in retail, the P&G salesman used to tell us that you only need about a 1/4 of the soap that they suggest you use. (Which accounts for many allergic reactions) So...I hardly use any detergent at all. I DO use OxiClean to boost whites, or bleach sometimes, and I also like the new dual action Spray and Wash stain remover thingy.

Yes, Alix, I use less than is recommended. I did so even when our children were "dirt factories." Read that working for lawn services and being car mechanics. Even resorted to black hand towels in the downstairs bathroom because of the automotive "challenge."

Since we have 4 sons, our laundry was quite a challenge. Although, I have to say, it was one Tide always met with success. I've never had to use special spot additives, etc.

As long as I washed their duds with Tide and added my trusty Arm & Hammer baking soda, everything came out good as new. Too many years later, I'm still getting the same results.

Back
Top Bottom