Your Steak — Medium, Rare or Cloned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a bit. The cloned meat would be identical to the meat from which it sprang.

Medium rare to rare, please.

My preference is that the animal is grass fed with plenty of room to roam. If it's cloned, just make sure the field is big enough for the both of them.

Rare please, with a side of still mooing.

I'm not sure if I would eat cloned meat immediately. I have no issues with the concept of cloning, but it's my understanding that cloned animals have a high degree of genetic abnormalities, probably due to the concentrating of a single gene "pool" (since everyone has some genetic abnormalities or propensities. I guess I'd probably wait to see if this presents any issues along the line.

I have one questions: The article says that a cloned cow costs between $10,000 and $20,000 while a standard cow costs about $50. The article also says that cloned cows will never amount to more than a minuscule part of the market.
So what are the benefits if cloning costs so much more and will never account for a majority of the meat sold?
I know the article says the benefit is that cloning can do in a short time what has taken breeders decades to do, but if breeders have been doing it for decades, how much more can there be left to breed out?
But, it also says that what they hope to do is improve the animal thru genetic engineering. I thought these were too different things? One being a GM cow and the other being a Cloned cow.
I know this may sound stupid to those with more knowledge about this stuff, but it seems to me that cloning is not the end result of what they want, but more the means to get to what they want quicker which is GM cows.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, just saying it seems to be the goal they are working towards.

Other than that, medium rare please. And if you can get me the cow from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, the one that can point out what it's best cuts are for you, that would be way cool too...

Remember when color TV's cost a mint. Now they are dirt cheap. Same goes for calculators, computers, you name it.

With cloning, over time, maybe all of us can enjoy Kobe beef.

Right now I have no problem with eating cloned beef. But order mine on the rare side unless the chef really knows what medium rare means.

cloning

i guess i don't care where it comes from. we are having a big beef recall here in calif. only trouble is they say the bad meat probably already been eaten. lol

rare, rare, rare,

babe

My preference is that the animal is grass fed with plenty of room to roam. If it's cloned, just make sure the field is big enough for the both of them.

Rare please, with a side of still mooing.

I'm with Vera. Slightly mooing, please. Love, love, love rare beef. My daddy taught me to like it that way.

My birth mother, on the other hand, preferred her steak to equal a roofing shingle. Yum. Not!

As for cloning, bring it on. I have no problem with that.

I forget exactly how the process works, but my understanding is that once they get the process down to an exact science, that they'll be able to crank out tons of embryos in a short amount of time. I think the thing that might hold back the rapid spread of cloned beef is finding enough cows to birth all of those embryos.

MR, by the way.

When I order meat out at a restaurant, I go with chef's recommendation...The chef knows how the meat he or she uses cooks best through experience, and how it will be on the tenderness scale. Generally med rare is the recommendation and that is fine for me.

As for cloning, kinda like multiple posts isn't it?
As for cloning, kinda like multiple posts isn't it?...

When I order meat out at a restaurant, I go with chef's recommendation...The chef knows how the meat he or she uses cooks best through experience, and how it will be on the tenderness scale. Generally med rare is the recommendation and that is fine for me.

As for cloning, kinda like multiple posts isn't it?...
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ok. I know I'm a bit out there. But YT, you have to back me up here. I'm going to take the next step and remove "life" from the process of producing muscle tissue. This is pure speculation, folks, born from reading and writing too much science fiction. That being said, I'm all for artificially grown meat, but not the cloned variety. I think we can do it one better. Let's say you have a piece of perfectly marbled Wagyu or kolbe beef. Let's also extrapolate a bit here. Now I know that skin can be grown in special nutrient rich baths from a donor's skin, and is used for grafting where skin is lost due to abrasion and burns. This creates skin that is identicle to the donor's own skin and so elliminates the possibility of rejection. So, why couldn't we do the same thing with muscle tissue? Grow it on a prepared matix in a nutrient rich bath that provides all of the chmicals, minerals, enzymes, hormones, carbs, etc. that normal muscle tissue gets from the blood and endocrine systems in the cow. You could hten taylor the flavor and texture of the meat to the customer's needs. You want flank steak, Ok, the manufacturer grows flank steak. You want rib-eye, then he grows rib-eye. The beauty of this is that it elliminates the need for slaughtering a living creature. There is no life, just working muscle tissue. After all, our bodies are organic machines used to house our intelligence and allow that intelligence the ability to interface with the physical universe (or so I choose to believe).

If the conditions for muscle growth could be exactly duplicated, then why not grow meat?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Think about it... you find the PERFECT steak.. perfectly marbled, the perfect
size, taste, etc...

and you can eat it forever, as long as you cook it perfectly every time, LOL!
;)

A nice Rib Eye, Short Cut Rump (Butchers Steak) or Flat Iron Steak a tad above Rare, salt & pepper only w/a decent Chicago horseradish on the side.

As far as cloning, I've already put in my request for a pig with 4 shoulders and 4 set of ribs.

Cloned if it`s not more expensive.

Rare for me, you know, the sort a good Vet could bring back to life after a session in a burns unit ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom