Your top 5 spices not including salt and pepper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My sister had 3 turntables and they were all specific to the alphabet. They may not have been in alphabetical order on the tables but spinning certainly made it easier.
I also have 3 turntable (one is a double decker) and they are all helter-skelter.

Over time I generally know where, however, they do get mixed. If I need a bunch from different shelves then they might not go back the same way. I put them however they fit, with the tallest in the centre, of course.

TTT - other than baking and some Asian ones, I could probably throw away 75% of them and not notice, maybe. :rolleyes:

Spices:
Sumac
Nutmeg
Mustard
Cumin
Coriander

Herbs:
Thyme
Sage
Rosemary
Dill
Lovage

Mine are in a corner cabinet with a three-tier lazy susan that houses the spices. Also around the edges of the lazy susan for things like peppercorns and salts and misc. blends.

My top 5 spices, excluding salt and pepper, are cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, paprika, and garlic. Cumin adds a warm and smoky flavor to dishes and is commonly used in Mexican and Middle Eastern cuisine. Cinnamon is a versatile spice that can be used in sweet and savory dishes and is known for its warming and sweet aroma. Turmeric is a vibrant yellow spice used in Indian and Middle Eastern cooking and is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Paprika adds a smoky and sweet flavor to dishes and is commonly used in Hungarian cooking. Garlic is a staple in many kitchens and adds a pungent and flavorful kick to dishes.

I have a number of turntables. One of the ones for spices is two tiered. It's on the bottom shelf of the cupboard over the wee bit of counter to the left of my stove. Above it, there is one shelf with a one level turntable, for slightly larger jars of spices. Those first two shelves also each have a long, thin, rectangular container with a lot of flat spice bags, mostly for topping up the jars. Top shelf has stuff that is used for refilling other jars and a bit of stuff that almost never gets used. On the other side of the stove, there is a similar, but wider cupboard that has two turntables, both one level. One has "sweet spices", cloves, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, cardamom, etc., as well as baking powder, and (a currently empty jar of) salt of hart's horn (baker's ammonia). Then there is a row (front to back) of EVOO, the fancy EVOO, and rice wine. And then, another turntable with other oils, vinegars, hot sauces, Worcestershire, fish sauce, tamari, and shoyu.

My top five - hmmm. What I use the most right now is garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, bay leaves, and paprika. Then it depends on what I'm making. I keep dill, thyme, oregano, basil and tarragon handy for general Italian meals and Chinese five spice for when I want to make Chinese food. My baking spices are ginger, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg. I have cumin and cilantro for Mexican dishes. And I keep some dry mustard because I use that fairly often. Chef John, forgive me, I don't have any cayenne pepper because I don't like cayenne, black, or white pepper.

Oh, I also keep Old Bay Seasoning around because I make cheddar garlic biscuits a lot.

I also have one vanilla bean somewhere and I still can't quite figure out what to do with it.

When I got the vanilla bean, it was only $17 for two and a friend bought the other one from me (we split the price). Now the things are $30. I figure before I buy any more vanilla beans, I'll buy gold dust first.

Back
Top Bottom