Can eat pickled garlic after expiry time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irbluesky

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I accidentally found a pickled garlic in the cabinet. (It's not homemade and produced by factory)

Three years have passed since its expiration date, but it has not been opened.

Can I eat it? Is it safe?

Screenshot 2024-05-05 205154.png

If that picture is your jar, they look OK. Open it - if you faint I suggest you dump them.
If the lid was not swollen, good sign.
Open and stick a fork into one. If they are still firm, I would think they should be OK.

When trying to open a can or package, take a look at the garlic's consistency. If it's too soft, mushy, or has an unusual texture, that could be a sign that it's gone bad and you shouldn't eat it.

Whether it's 1, 2, 3 years since expiration date, same holds true. I doubt it has gone bad, simply past its optimum taste and texture. Plus, once opened it may possibly deteriorate much faster than normal.

Hello,

I accidentally found a pickled garlic in the cabinet. (It's not homemade and produced by factory)

Three years have passed since its expiration date, but it has not been opened.

Can I eat it? Is it safe?

View attachment 69122
Can you eat it, of course!

Should you eat it? 🤷‍♀️

Should you take the advice of random strangers on the internet? 🤷‍♀️

In situations like this, I think that we should all use our own judgment.

Good luck!

Can you eat it, of course!

Should you eat it? 🤷‍♀️

Should you take the advice of random strangers on the internet? 🤷‍♀️

In situations like this, I think that we should all use our own judgment.

Good luck!
So what do I do in this situation? Who should I ask?

Yourself, of course. You've had the advice, now take what you think is relevant, process, choose and go for it. There is no right or wrong answer. Only you can open the jar and decide. We've given you what we think, choice can only come from you.
If you are asking us to decide for you and be held responsible for the end results, that's not going to happen. This is how a forum helps each other, all give their opinions and then you make your choice.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

1. Open the jar
2. Smell it
3. If it smells terrible - throw it away
4. If it doesn't smell of much - take out a piece of garlic and cut it in half. If that smells terrible - throw it away.
5. After that, it is up to you. Are you willing to take a risk and eat the garlic, or are you averse to risk?

If you are averse to risk. Don't open the jar. Just throw it away. (Well, empty it, rinse it, and put the glass jar in the recycling bin.)

1. Open the jar
2. Smell it
3. If it smells terrible - throw it away
4. If it doesn't smell of much - take out a piece of garlic and cut it in half. If that smells terrible - throw it away.
5. After that, it is up to you. Are you willing to take a risk and eat the garlic, or are you averse to risk?

If you are averse to risk. Don't open the jar. Just throw it away. (Well, empty it, rinse it, and put the glass jar in the recycling bin.)
I think that most of the regulars on this forum would do that. We do have at least one regular who will write, "When in doubt, throw it out." And that is certainly good advice.

I think that most of the regulars on this forum would do that. We do have at least one regular who will write, "When in doubt, throw it out." And that is certainly good advice.
I am a "low risk" sort of person. I would throw it out!

(I had food poisoning once - it was not fun and I don't want to go through that again - nothing I cooked by the way!)

Food goes bad well before it starts st smell bad. So if it smells, definitely throw it away.

But if it doesn’t it still may make you grotesquely sick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom