"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 04-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
Easter desserts for the diet-conscious

This is more an opinion question than anything else. My grandparents are having the family over for Easter. It'll be roughly 10-12 people, including two children under 10. They know I've got a knack for desserts, so they've asked me to come up with a few to serve. The only limitation working against me is that at least 4 or 5 of the people included are trying to lose weight and don't want anything too heavy. Considering there are only 10 adults, that's a pretty good chunk of the total company.

Someone suggested ambrosia, but if I made the ambrosia parfait I love so much I'd need a bunch of parfait glasses, a way to transport them without everything turning extremely messy, and lots of fridge space once I got there. I'm thinking I might have to rule that out.

My next idea was a layered fruit salad of oranges, pineapples, grapes, strawberries, bananas, kiwis, and a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head, all topped with a light sauce made of brown sugar, lemon juice, and orange juice. It's hard to imagine at first but this recipe really comes out nice. Recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/32424

If I serve that, I'm thinking of adding a lemon trifle on the side. I haven't yet tried the recipe I'm planning to use, but it looks like it should be fairly simple and will present beautifully. Recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/115886

I really would've loved to make one of my now famous cheesecakes or a more indulgent dessert, but these two sound refreshingly delicious as well as relatively light. Do you think this will go over, or can you suggest something else?

Any help or comments would be much appreciated!

Old 04-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Everymom

Hmmm. I think I'd go with a fruit salad (or a fruit plate with a flavoured yogurt for a dip), and maybe an angel food cake?

I'm planning on making a strawberry pie. Pastry shell with a little bit of custard and then topped with fresh berries and glaze or whipped cream. I can find you the recipe if you like and you can modify it to make it dieter friendly. Shouldn't be too tough.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Senior Cook

After just having come across a biscotti recipe my stepmother gave me, I think I'm also going to make that.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Hmmm. I think I'd go with a fruit salad (or a fruit plate with a flavoured yogurt for a dip), and maybe an angel food cake?

I'm planning on making a strawberry pie. Pastry shell with a little bit of custard and then topped with fresh berries and glaze or whipped cream. I can find you the recipe if you like and you can modify it to make it dieter friendly. Shouldn't be too tough.
Mmmmmm, strawberry pie!

My original idea was fruit with angel food cake, but my mother is really insisting on the lemon trifle. I've still got a few days to think about it though.

If you could find me the pie recipe you have, that would be great. No rush or anything - whenever it's easiest for you works for me.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
Executive Chef

This is a great crustless strawberry pie that I've made for diabetics.

STRAWBERRY PIE

1 pkg. sugar free strawberry Jello
1 pkg. sugar free vanilla pudding
1 qt. fresh strawberries
2 c. water

Add Jello and pudding to water. Bring to a full boil. Slice strawberries. Add strawberries to hot Jello and pudding. Pour into 9" pie pan that has been PAM'd. Refrigerate.

I've doubled the recipe and put it in a 13x9 pan. It's even better with a spritz of whipped cream or ff cool whip.

I tell you - this is really good.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I like to make Knox gelatine "It's a Snap Cheesecake" substituting a cup of cottage cheese, whirled in the blender for one of the cream cheese packages.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I have this really great strawberry glazed cheesecake recipe that everyone begs me to make. It's amazing, and it was the first cheesecake I ever made. I can post it here if any of you are interested. Just let me know!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I am trying to decide on an easy dessert that can use some of the wonderful strawberries showing up at the farmers' markets. I am considering doing an icebox cake using angelfood cake torn into bite sized pieces and then tossed with a mixture of cut up strawberries, gelatin, whipped cream. Then refrigerated to set up. Chopped walnuts could be sprinkled over the top. Cool whip could be substituted for the whipped cream and it would not be too high in calories. (I realize that the words "too high" are relative!!)
Old 04-04-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
This is a great crustless strawberry pie that I've made for diabetics.

STRAWBERRY PIE

1 pkg. sugar free strawberry Jello
1 pkg. sugar free vanilla pudding
1 qt. fresh strawberries
2 c. water

Add Jello and pudding to water. Bring to a full boil. Slice strawberries. Add strawberries to hot Jello and pudding. Pour into 9" pie pan that has been PAM'd. Refrigerate.

I've doubled the recipe and put it in a 13x9 pan. It's even better with a spritz of whipped cream or ff cool whip.

I tell you - this is really good.
I've got a BUNCH of people to send this to! And I'll make it for myself as well. Thanks, Jan!

Lee
Old 04-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Thanks Half Baked! I'll definitely have to try that out.

Tags
None