"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 07-29-2004, 07:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How to take out cheesecake out of the springform to serve?

Hello there, I'm new to this forum and learning how to cook. I love cheesecake. I've made my own cheesecake and it didn't turn out so bad. My problem is, I don't know how to take the cheesecake out to serve. Is chesecake always serve off of spring from bottom? Or we actually can take the cheesecake out and place it on a flat plate to serve.

Help me!
Thanks!

Old 07-29-2004, 08:02 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We always set the springform pan bottom in a pretty plate for serving. I guess you could use a large flat knife, or floss or something to carefully take it off of the pan bottom. Or (this just came to me) you could line the pan bottom with parchment paper or some of that new stick-free foil, then carefully slide it off when it is done.

:) Barbara

Old 08-04-2004, 06:12 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Line the bottom of the pan with parchment baking paper. When the cake is finished, invert it onto a cooling rack. Peel away the parchment paper, and then invert it back onto another cooling rack, so the cake is now face side up.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:01 PM   #4
Everymom

That last method might be messy with a cheesecake though...
Old 08-05-2004, 06:23 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Yeah, I have never made cheesecake, nor even eaten it, so I admit that my suggestion may not be appropriate. However, it is the standard way to deal with Genoise, sponge cakes, and just about any kind of cake I have made in a springform pan.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:22 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr
Yeah, I have never made cheesecake, nor even eaten it, so I admit that my suggestion may not be appropriate. However, it is the standard way to deal with Genoise, sponge cakes, and just about any kind of cake I have made in a springform pan.
Since you didn't know, you are forgiven. LOL It would be about like inverting a lemon meringue pie to take it out of the pan. They are very soft and creamy on top.

Now the real question--Why have you never tried cheesecake? I have a great recipe (the one from Aunt Emma's Pancake House in San Diego, CA--no longer there) if you want to try it. My mom always thought cheesecake sounded disgusting, but my uncle (who managed Aunt Emma's) brought her some of theirs, and gave her the recipe. She found out how wonderful it was! Ours is a little fluffier than the New York style ones, which are also good.

Old 09-07-2004, 11:54 AM   #7
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr
Since you didn't know, you are forgiven. LOL It would be about like inverting a lemon meringue pie to take it out of the pan. They are very soft and creamy on top.

Now the real question--Why have you never tried cheesecake? I have a great recipe (the one from Aunt Emma's Pancake House in San Diego, CA--no longer there) if you want to try it. My mom always thought cheesecake sounded disgusting, but my uncle (who managed Aunt Emma's) brought her some of theirs, and gave her the recipe. She found out how wonderful it was! Ours is a little fluffier than the New York style ones, which are also good.

Please, please, please post it?? Fluffy cheesecake sounds heavenly!
Old 09-07-2004, 11:58 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

You can either use parchment paper, cake liners, or line the whole inside with foil. Once you chill the cake "completely" then you can just gently lift the cake and peel away the lining. I've done this many many times and never had a mishap. I don't like serving cheesecakes on the springform pan either.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:38 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
heres an easier way you take a big pan well i think its a wok put one of those oven grill thingies on top to hold the cheesecake and and the pan so its not touching the water that is being boiled. let it be steamed for like 5 minutes or so and the cheesecake should be loosened to be flipped over on a plate then flipped back on another
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:27 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Hi -
I always put a parchment paper circle in the bottom of the pan. Once the cheesecake is completely cooled (overnight is best), remove the rim, then take a long spatula and slide it under the parchment paper to remove the cheesecake from the bottom. As you're doing this, as you're sliding the cheesecake & lifting it up with the spatula (ever so slightly), begin to slide your serving plate under it at the same time so that the cheesecake is always supported.
Nothing wrong with just leaving the cheesecake on the pan bottom to serve (with or without the parchment), it's just that I find I never get the bottoms home if I've taken the cheesecake somewhere. Something like Tupperware...it never finds it's way home!
Good luck!

Tags
None