"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 03-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Wedding dessert problem

My daughter is getting married in September, and I have agreed to provide the desserts. She wants a selection of mini cakes/desserts which will be presented on triple cake stands. There will be about 90 people at the meal. My problem is that I live in France and will only be arriving in the UK a few days before the big day. I do however have to go over in June, so what I was thinking I would make the desserts then and freeze them. What I am asking the forum for is ideas for desserts that can be made that far in advance, are freezeable and do not need any last minute finishing touches. Thank you.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
Master Chef

Can't you make desserts at home and bring them with you right before wedding? Honestly, that long in the freezer nothing will taste great. Maybe it will still be just fine, but not great. For wedding you kind of want everything nice and fresh. Just my opinion.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks CharlieD, the problem is the fact that is an 18 hour drive door to door and I'm not sure anything I made would look presentable after that! That combined with all the other things that will have to be fitted in those few days means June seems like the best solution, but like you say it is a long time to keep stuff hence my post to the forum!
Old 03-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #4
Wine Guy

Oh my goodness! I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but as the bride's mother, don't you have enough things to worry about without having to make dessert for 90 people, and then driving 18 hours to deliver it?

If it were me, I'd be looking for a bakery or catering company close to where the event is taking place. You would still be living up to your commitment to provide dessert, but simply delegating the responsibility of actual kitchen duties to someone else.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Oh my goodness! I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but as the bride's mother, don't you have enough things to worry about without having to make dessert for 90 people, and then driving 18 hours to deliver it?

If it were me, I'd be looking for a bakery or catering company close to where the event is taking place. You would still be living up to your commitment to provide dessert, but simply delegating the responsibility of actual kitchen duties to someone else.
This was my take on it, too. Or go early and do the baking there. Many bakeries would be happy to make the cake, etc. for you if you want to do the decorating yourself.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
Master Chef

I agree that this might be too big a project for the mother of the bride.

If you feel you must do it then I would use a combination of home baked and store bought items. A good option for the home baked portion is a sheet cake decorated similar to the picture below. Cut the cake and put the pieces in white or pastel colored cup cake papers and place them on the three tiered stand. If you are not adept at piping decorations then use some purchased candies or Jordon almonds as the decoration.

https://bettycakes.files.wordpress.c...5/100_1939.jpg

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:

Agreed! You can get the bakery or catering company to make an assortment of treats, as desired, but without you needing to worry about it. It also means you will have more free time once you arrive to spend with your daughter or getting ready. Congrats!!
Old 03-08-2015, 08:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Can't you make desserts at home and bring them with you right before wedding? Honestly, that long in the freezer nothing will taste great. Maybe it will still be just fine, but not great. For wedding you kind of want everything nice and fresh. Just my opinion.
Charlie, you cannot bring foods, even cooked, into another country. Customs will confiscate them.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:31 PM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Charlie, you cannot bring foods, even cooked, into another country. Customs will confiscate them.
She lives in the EU, not the US.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
She lives in the EU, not the US.
I know that. I did read all of her post. She is going from France to England. The last time I heard they were still separate countries.

Tags
dessert, other