"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 12-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Cappuccino Brownie Bars

I make these only once a year during the holidays... too bad, 'cause they're so darn good...

Cappuccino Bars

8 oz. Bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 Tb. instant espresso powder dissolved in 1 Tb. boiling water
1 ½ C. sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla
4 large eggs
1 C. all purpose flour
½ tsp. Slat

For cream cheese layer:
8 oz. Cream cheese, softened
¾ sticks (6 Tb.) unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ C. confectioner’s sugar
1 Tb. vanilla
1 tsp. Cinnamon

For ganache:
6 oz. Bittersweet chocolate
2 Tb. unsalted butter
½ C. heavy cream
1 ½ Tb. instant espresso powder dissolved in 1 Tb. boiling water

Make the brownie layer: In a metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, melt the chocolate with the butter and the espresso mixture, stirring until the mixture is smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat, let the mixture cool to lukewarm, and stir in the sugar and the vanilla. Stir in the eggs, 1 at a time, stirring well after each addition, stir in the flour and the salt, stirring until the mixture is just combined. Line a 13x9 inch baking dish with parchment, and then butter and flour the parchment. Pour the mixture into the parchment lined baking pan, smooth the top, and bake the brownie layer in the middle of a preheated 350 F oven for 22-25 minutes or until a tester comes out with crumbs adhering to it. Let the brownie layer cool completely in the pan on a rack.

Make the cream cheese layer: In a bowl with an electric mixer, cream together the cream cheese and the butter until the mixture is light and fluffy, add the confectioners sugar, the vanilla and the cinnamon, and beat the frosting until it is well combined. Spread the frosting evenly over the cooled brownie layer. Chill the bar for 2 hours or overnight.

Make the ganache: In a metal bowl over barely simmering water melt the chocolate with the butter, the cream and the espresso mixture, stir until the glaze is smooth, remove from heat and let cool to almost room temperature. Spread the glaze over the cream cheese layer, cover and chill for at least 3 hours.

Unmold the bars by pulling the parchment lining from the baking dish, should pull out easily. Cut the bars while they are cold with a sharp knife and serve chilled or at room temperature.

Makes about 24 bars depending on size.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Thanks! Sound great!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 03:36 AM   #3
Senior Cook

This sounds wonderful! - thank you - definitely making it for the holidays! Is confectioners sugar like castor sugar ?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
Sous Chef

oh good Lord...I thot I was done... ;)
Old 12-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaK View Post
This sounds wonderful! - thank you - definitely making it for the holidays! Is confectioners sugar like castor sugar ?
Never heard of castor sugar, confectioner's sugar is the powdered sugar here. Hope someone helps with that one, I'd like to know too.

Thanks, this recipe does not disappoint!

Tags
None