HELP! Another Brownie question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I have a TNT Frosted Brownie recipe which calls for unsweetened bakers chocolate, sugar, shortening etc. I would like to cut the sugar (in the brownie AND the frosting) so as to get a less sweet brownie BUT I don't want to hurt the integrity of the finished brownie (IE I don't want the texture and mouth feel to suffer). Can this be done? And do I have to compensate in some other way for the decreased sugar volume?

Last edited:
I cut down sugar all the time, up to about 25%, especially in American recipes, which I find too sweet. I always have good results. How much unsweetened chocolate, sugar, and shortening is called for in your recipe?

Last edited:
4 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened bakers chocolate
2/3 cup butter flavored shortening
2 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder

4 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened bakers chocolate
2/3 cup butter flavored shortening
2 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder

I use a brownie recipe with the same amounts of chocolate, sugar and fat as yours, but it uses butter instead of shortening, has no leavener, and uses 3 eggs. I always cut down the sugar by 25%, to 1 1/2 cups. It tastes great, and is at the perfect sweetness. The original 2 cups is much too sweet for me.

I use a brownie recipe with the same amounts of chocolate, sugar and fat as yours, but it uses butter instead of shortening, has no leavener, and uses 3 eggs. I always cut down the sugar by 25%, to 1 1/2 cups. It tastes great, and is at the perfect sweetness. The original 2 cups is much too sweet for me.
Could I cut the sugar by 1/2 and leave everything else the same?

Could I cut the sugar by 1/2 and leave everything else the same?

I don't see why not. There's enough shortening in there to keep it moist. If you're concerned, maybe start with something in between 25% and 50%. The only thing that might get affected is the crackly top, since it depends on sugar.

Last edited:
I don't see why not. There's enough shortening in there to keep it moist. If you're concerned, maybe start with something in between 25% and 50%.
It's frosted so the top is covered up. So maybe 1/2 the sugar in the brownie and leave the frosting unchanged.

What kind of frosting is it? I usually put less confectioner's sugar in butter creme frostings. I put the minimum I need for consistency. I start with a lot less and add more until the consistency is to my liking.

What kind of frosting is it? I usually put less confectioner's sugar in butter creme frostings. I put the minimum I need for consistency. I start with a lot less and add more until the consistency is to my liking.

I don't like butter cream much.

3 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened bakers chocolate
3 TBSP butter flavored Shortening
2 c. powdered (confectioners superfine) sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

I don't like butter cream much.

3 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened bakers chocolate
3 TBSP butter flavored Shortening
2 c. powdered (confectioners superfine) sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Other than melting the chocolate, does that get heated at all?

If not, I would measure out the 2 cups of confectioner's sugar and try with one cup and add more as needed for taste and consistency. Then measure what's left so you know for next time.

I think you are fine cutting the sugar in the brownie by half with no changes but, the frosting will not work unless you cut back on the milk or even eliminate it.

Thank you for the help. If I make them with reduced sugar I will let you know how it works out. At the moment I think I will just make them as is so family won't get peeved and try to cut the sugar next time when no one is around.

Mocha Brownie

I used white whole wheat flour and walnuts and reduced the sugar by ½ cup in the brownie and left the frosting unchanged. It could have used a bit more coffee flavor. Very good!

img_1001799_0_2213aff716cb717187d416a29616f227.jpg

Mocha Brownie

I used white whole wheat flour and walnuts and reduced the sugar by ½ cup in the brownie and left the frosting unchanged. It could have used a bit more coffee flavor. Very good!

img_1001802_0_2213aff716cb717187d416a29616f227.jpg

That does look yummy. How was the texture?

Thank you TL. It was fine not difference. Still pretty sweet. Next time I will try using some or all sugar sub.

Those look great!

I have been able to gradually reduce the sugar in most things so no one notices. It is kind of like that old dance the Limbo, how low can you go. Usually you can cut it in half without a problem. I have not had great results with sugar substitutes and I am a little bit leary of them. Please let us know how you make out with them.

Mocha Brownie

img_1001909_0_2213aff716cb717187d416a29616f227.jpg

rather than adding more coffee, try adding a teensy pinch of salt to the frosting. That usually pulls all the flavors together in a very good way. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom