"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-12-2004, 01:44 PM   #11
Head Chef

I use them, too, but the Japanese style, which are strongly tapered. (I think that's fairly exclusive to Japan and would appreciate the correction if wrong.) And we use them at home very often.

Of interest, perhaps, is that the Japanese are the only culture I know of who use chopsticks exclusively (no spoons, etc.), unlike other Eastern cultures.

As far as food is concerned, there is a huge world far beyond sushi that everyone should explore, given the chance! I can't recall a single Eastern or Indonesian food I didn't enjoy.

Old 11-12-2004, 01:47 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

i use chopsticks when i eat chinese, japanese, or thai. have been since i was a kid. never had to use the rubber band thingie.

you are proficient with chopsticks if you can eat fried rice with them, without "scooping"...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 05:21 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audeo
I use them, too, but the Japanese style, which are strongly tapered. (I think that's fairly exclusive to Japan and would appreciate the correction if wrong.) And we use them at home very often.
You are correct. The tapered jobs are Japanese. The long cylindrical ones are Chinese. The funny thing is, Japanese have a hard time eating with Chinese chopsticks and Chinese have a hard time eating with Japanese chopsticks.

I use both, but really hate the slippery plastic chopsticks in Chinese restaurants. Ever try to pick up a slipper black mushroom with them? Near impossible. I usually ask for wooden disposable chopsticks. On the other hand, I have no trouble with slippery Japanese style chopsticks.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:28 PM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I don't think the Chinese restaurants around here even offer chopsticks. We always use them at the Japanese restaurant though.

:) Barbara
Old 11-12-2004, 06:25 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Absolutely... Chinese food MUST be eaten with chopsticks. It just doesn't taste the same if you use spoons, forks, etc. And, to be a "purist" rice MUST be served in a side bowl and eaten from that bowl and not dumped on your plate with the other food poured over.

I too have a hard time using the Japanese pointed chopsticks... the best kind for me are the Chinese style made of wood (not lacquered wood or plastic, etc.) so a grain of rice can be picked up and not slide off.

"When in Rome, eat roman food as the Romans intended it to be eaten" Jude 2:5

Same concept with Moroccan food, it MUST be eaten with your fingers.. no silverware allowed. Can you imagine eating couscous with a fork? or spoon? :)
Old 11-12-2004, 06:48 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Chposticks - the Japanese ones - when I can - unfortunately, arthritis from years of martial arts have done in my thumbs .

And Japanese food is #1 w/me - love its simplicity and bright tastes!
Old 11-12-2004, 06:53 PM   #17

I'm using my chopsticks right now eating my szechuan beef stir-fry... I also got fried rice and an egg roll.. except for breakfast, I starved all day for this!.. it's yummm, yummmm yummmmmmm! lol
Old 11-12-2004, 07:14 PM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I can play chop sticks! :D :P

Hee hee hee....

Well I always use DA sticks. It DOES taste better to me for some reason too. Go and figure. My favorite food ofcourse is SUSHI!!!
But I also really enjoy Thai food. I would like to try more Korean though.

One thing I dont like is that coconut milk with basil leaves and beef swimming in it. BLECKKKK!!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 07:25 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I think I could kill myself usin chop stix. My favorite soup is Egg Drop with lots of salt and pepper.I like to dip bread or a roll in it too. I love fried rice with lobster,shrimp,and pork. For the main course....Crispy Duck.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:28 PM   #20

lol .. I love sushi too! :D

lol bang.. you better not use chopsticks then! My fried rice had pork in it.. it was yummy!