"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-04-2004, 02:01 PM   #11

The kind of restaurants I don't like are the ones where the servers seem like they are reading from a script when they wait on you.... they just seem very plastic and artificial.

I like the restaurant employees to show their real personality, not the management's scripted manners.

Old 10-04-2004, 02:19 PM   #12
Cook

Favorite Restaurant

:D I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve Olive Garden, testing to see if I can post here.

Singbird

Old 10-04-2004, 02:22 PM   #13
Executive Chef

My favorites are italian,mideastern,chinese,and mexican restaurants that displays decor and music that matches its specific culture. I don't really care for the Fast Food(except Mcdonalds,and White Castles). I hate KFC because of the service but love the chicken. Red Lobster sucks. Red Robins burgers and fries rock :!: Every time I eat aat a buffet I say its the last time. Bigboys has great onion rings to eat while reading the paper. I eat alot at Delis that serve those giant corned beef and pastrami sandwiches. I am drooling now. I guess I am on my way to the Deli for a hot Pastrami and corned beef sandwich with a bit of yellow mustard and a pickle.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:53 PM   #14
Master Chef

Small mom & pop restaurants run by immigrants and featuring their native cuisine. Just about any cuisine. I can do steaks and burgers and anything on the Weber myself.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:47 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I love a restaurant that offers seasonal menu changes. I appreciate a waitstaff that doesn't look they are in a circus. I look for linen napkins and table cloths and I especially like a real wine glass - not those stipid tulip stem glasses that would work better as an eye cup.

I like a restaurant with atmosphere - That's when I give up my "need" for linens....like at seafod places with the brown paper table covers, or late night bars that have a grill for the best steak sandwich you ever had in your life.

I like service, Its why I went out in the first place - a real smile, some personality...Like when the waiter said "I won't let you have that dish, the chef throws cilantro in it like its confetti!"

I have lots of criteria for Favorite restaurants - It depends on what happened when I went there for the first time...Just my take
Old 10-04-2004, 07:42 PM   #16
Certified Executive Chef

I cannot really say I have one favorite restaruant. I like a variety of foods from most all countries. I look for good service, friendly servers and value. I am fussy and cook every night from scratch so I can get rather critical in a restaurant.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:51 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
There is a place in Naperville Illinois called Sakura of Tokyo. They have the BEST sushi I have had! Its better than a good relationship!
Old 10-04-2004, 08:27 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
I cannot really say I have one favorite restaruant. I like a variety of foods from most all countries. I look for good service, friendly servers and value. I am fussy and cook every night from scratch so I can get rather critical in a restaurant.
Exactly! I am too critical in most restaurants unless I see some aspect of heart and soul - Like the small restaurant in Irving, NY - been around since the 30's or 40's....and the cook is in her 80's!

They know me and ask about my parents, my sister's kids and coax me out of my usual fried chicken dinner (not happening). The bartender is great and makes me a perfect vodka martini....I sip it on the porch, in a rocker while my table is being preped.

That's it! I am going there tomorrow! Pizzolanti's, here I come! LOL@me
Old 10-04-2004, 09:36 PM   #19

BigKnife said, "I like service, Its why I went out in the first place - a real smile, some personality...Like when the waiter said "I won't let you have that dish, the chef throws cilantro in it like its confetti!".

stupid quote button went all funky on me.

I totally agree.. like if they wouldn't eat it, they wouldn't serve it to someone else.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:42 PM   #20
Master Chef

I have had some of the best meals I've ever had at little out of the way mom and pop resturants we've discovered while out taking long car rides. Simple decor and friendly service are just a part of it. I'm not one for fancy resturants I just don't feel comfortable there even though I could fit in with the best of them. I'd rather eat in a place where if I want to relax and lean into a conversation I don't want to worry that my elbows may or may not be on the table :D

Favorite Fast Foods: McDonalds, Fazoli's, Arby's, and Wendy's.