Ides of May Dinner - 5-15-2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
I have some foodgasmic sound inducing Crockpot Thai Peanut Chicken in the slow cooker. It's the recipe CG posted on Friday's dinner thread, along with her recommended changes. Brown basmati is in the Zoji, and a green salad is in the fridge. Time to sit back and enjoy some wine.

Silly me, I gave SO a list of dinner choices and she picked pulled pork sandwiches. I'll whip up some BBQ beans and a salad to make it a complete meal.

DH went grocery shopping this morning and came home with a nice salmon filet that he wants to grill. I'll season it up and make my fresh ginger remoulade. Also going to make a copycat Uncle Ben's Long-Grain & Wild Rice dish. I have some frozen snap peas; I think I'll simmer those in some chicken stock, maybe with some sliced onion and a Penzeys seasoning, on the side.

We had Costco samples, when we could reach them without being trampled. Midwest nice isn't always nice. DH also got his favorite turkey provelone sammy on our way out.

Craig roasted a gorgeous whole chicken, with fresh sage butter. I made sides of a potato, fennel gratin with gruyere cheese and home grown swiss chard sauteed with sliced garlic and red pepper flakes. We have some huge beautiful strawberries for dessert either chocolate dipped or with balsamic TBD.

Using up fridge leftovers. I made a flour tortilla wrap this afternoon with a spread of Neufchatel, thin sliced deli turkey, avocado, and tomatoes and could only finish half. I'll have the rest of that for dinner with a bowl of watermelon and some cherries.

I was planning yesterday to make a Morrocan chicken with dates and shallots. It was something that DW saw over my shoulder and said 'that looks good, why don't you make it?' I should have read it first........

At 5:00 yesterday, I mixed the spices, then checked the next step. 'Marinate 4 hours or overnight.' Oops!

So tonight we're having the Morrocan spiced chicken.

No foodgasmic sounds coming from my kitchen tonight! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

A cheeseburger, a Claussen dill pickle, and a dish of strawberries.

We've been experiencing an extended "blackberry winter," so I thought comfort food would fit the bill.

We're having country-fried/chicken-fried steak with white gravy, mashed potatoes, buttered baby peas and iced tea. I think there'll be some steak and gravy left for tomorrow's lunch. Yum!

The Thai Peanut Chicken is really good stuff! The snow peas and radishes (both raw) really make this dish pop. It's a great entertaining dish, as everything can be done in advance. Thank you, CG!

It was stir fry chicken (cubed b/s chicken breast marinated with rice wine, salt, pepper, sesame oil then poached in just enough water to cover. I also added some whole almonds at the end so they got a bit soft and easier to chew for hub) and veggies (crinkle cut carrots, celery, bok choy, mushroom caps, fresh garlic, onion and scallions). I used the poaching liquid to make a cornstarch slurry for the sauce. Served with jasmine rice and toasted sesame seeds for garnish. Sounds boring but was very tasty.

It was stir fry chicken (cubed b/s chicken breast marinated with rice wine, salt, pepper, sesame oil then poached in just enough water to cover. I also added some whole almonds at the end so they got a bit soft and easier to chew for hub) and veggies (crinkle cut carrots, celery, bok choy, mushroom caps, fresh garlic, onion and scallions). I used the poaching liquid to make a cornstarch slurry for the sauce. Served with jasmine rice and toasted sesame seeds for garnish. Sounds boring but was very tasty.
I am sorry, but that sounds anything but boring

DH went grocery shopping this morning and came home with a nice salmon filet that he wants to grill. I'll season it up and make my fresh ginger remoulade. Also going to make a copycat Uncle Ben's Long-Grain & Wild Rice dish. I have some frozen snap peas; I think I'll simmer those in some chicken stock, maybe with some sliced onion and a Penzeys seasoning, on the side.

We put Penzeys Chinese Five-Spice Powder on the salmon and 4/S Seasoned Salt on the peas. Turned out great :yum:

Attachments

• 1463365153994.jpg
    1463365153994.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 146
I had my heart set on oven baked BBQ chicken tonight. I have potato salad, cole slaw, Hawaiian sweet rolls, but no BAKED BEANS damnit ! I hate having to go to plan B. Note to self...buy 5 cans of Bush's baked beans.

Last edited:
Looks delicious. Where's the melted cheddar cheese sauce to go on top? :LOL:

I've been meaning to try and re-create my moms simple salmon loaf. It's not that hard and starts from just a simple can of salmon. Melted Cheddar cheese sauce to pour on top was crucial. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom