"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Omigosh, sounds like some of the "watery" trips Buck and I used to enjoy. We spent many days shooting the rapids on the Potomac River and many of the Maryland and Pennsylvania riverways.

We regularly took cold fried chicken and deviled eggs along, as well as something Buck called "gorp," which literally meant good old raisins and peanuts.

However, Buck was never one to do things halfway. He made gorp his own way.

In a "huge" mixing bowl, he would combine lots of shredded coconut, salted peanuts, raisins, M&Ms (plain and peanut), cashews, dried apples, etc. and whatever dried goodies could be found in the market. Tossed it and put it into large zipper-lock bags.

Yum.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #12
Master Chef

That's funny, Katie. In a previous life, I always took fried chicken and deviled eggs when we went camping. It all went into the Current River (Ozarks, SE Missouri) one year.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

For things like this, I make potato salad with quartered or halved (depending on size) red potatoes that I boil and toss with very thinly sliced red onion, minced garlic and chopped green onions, in a dressing with a little champagne vinegar, mustard, olive oil and salt and pepper so I don't have to worry about the mayo sitting out all day ... even in a cooler, that always makes me a little nervous!
Old 05-07-2009, 04:04 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynseysnatural View Post
For things like this, I make potato salad with quartered or halved (depending on size) red potatoes that I boil and toss with very thinly sliced red onion, minced garlic and chopped green onions, in a dressing with a little champagne vinegar, mustard, olive oil and salt and pepper so I don't have to worry about the mayo sitting out all day ... even in a cooler, that always makes me a little nervous!

Your potato salad sounds good. Care to share the recipe?TYIA
Old 05-07-2009, 06:04 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynseysnatural View Post
Just wanted to mention, you don't have to worry about mayo sitting out any more than any other food. The idea that it spoils easily is a leftover from the days when it was made with raw eggs. Commercial mayo is made with pasteurized eggs, so it's no more dangerous than anything else. My uncle sailed around the world without refrigeration and ate sandwiches with mayo quite often with no ill effects.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 AM   #16
Head Chef

I was going to mention the same thing, GGarlic. Commercial mayo is quite stable and safe.
I always take a nice pasta salad along when we go camping/boating. I also have done a pressed sandwich with salami and cheese. When we go out for a long day on the water, I make sure I have coffee and cookies for mid-morning, and mid-afternoon snacks.
Have a great day!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
Senior Cook

How about these? They are easy to make and are great picnic food. You'd probably need to triple the recipe.

Deviled Chicken

1/4 c. Dijon Mustard
1 TB vinegar or lemon juice
1 TB. oil
Cayenne to taste
Salt and Pepper
6 chicken drumsticks

Mix together and rub under and over drumstick skin.
Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature or refrigerate up to 2 hours covered.
Grill or bake, turning often, for about 40 minutes or until done.
Serve warm or cold.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #18
Executive Chef

OKAY my buds........I made the chicken last night. 5 lbs of baked leg quarters (with thighs) and 5 lbs of fried leg and thighs. We had some last night and we will take the rest on the lake. (Aldi's had them for $3.66 for 5 lb bags-yum)
I've got the potatoes boiled. I have a request to make the potato salad, 'not too oniony' and 'not too much vinegar' and no direction for making it nice except, not too oniony and not too vinegary! I'm leaving in a couple hours, any suggestions? Something to make it a little more sweet maybe? MIne is usually tangy and savory so I'll have to tone it down a bit.
I liked all the suggestions (as we will have many more boat trips and I'll have to try everything out). Thank you!
Uncle Bob hasn't arrived yet, , he called and said he had a flat tire, dang those tires, so we might have to make our own dessert and miss his company.
Katie m'dear. gorp is a great idea! It is so reminiscent of my girlscout days.
I'll catch you all up after the trip!
Hey check this out! http://news.cnnbcvideo.com/?nid=j3TkYaXVP.r466WkX__AKjI4Mjc4NDM-&referred_by=15974713-n9m_aSx
Hugs, ~Bliss
Old 05-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
One of the ways I make my potato salad is to sub some of the mayonnaise/salad dressing with sour cream. Really tastes yummy.

Have a great time and have some gorp for me.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Wink Wow Bliss!

That video was so great!!! I sent it to my mom and my mil!! I hope you have a great Mothers Day weekend!!