ISO ideas/help with Mother's Day Weekend Boat Picnic Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
My friends, help me out with this?
One of my favorite things is to go fishing and there's nothing better than taking my grown boys fishing, so that's what we will do for Saturday this Mother's day week-end. Two boats, 5 people, 2 coolers.
I need a little help on the menu. I'd like to have two coolers packed and ready at 2-3 pm, so we can get out on the lake. I've got all morning to make food and pack it together. I'm SO looking forward to the time with the boys.
Any ideas for a menu? We'll probably eat around 5 pm, I could probably bring hot or cold food, but, hot would be a challenge unless we go to shore. We'll eat on the lake tethering the boats together for a little while.
Bring:
Fishing licenses
boat lights
10 rods and reels ready to go
anchors and life preservers
Beverages: Beer? Soda, Water
Food: suggestions?
We'll fish until just after sunset.
So, can you help me out with some suggestions? Thank you in advance, ~Bliss

My dh and boys love it when I take a round sour dough loaf cut it through and take out some of the bread from the bottom, then I coat with a mix of creamy horseradish and sou cream with some mayo all mixed together, add salami,mortadella, ham, provolone, a good mix of chopped olives, shredded dressed lettuce, I just use red wine vinegar and evoo,put on the top wrap well with foil and weight it down and refrigerate. The sammie I make the day before so the juices from olives and dressing get all through the sandwich.. usually make 3-4 or these with all 12 of us..I make both macaroni and potatoe salads, chips a container of cut fruit dressed with lime juice and honey I pack this so it wil stay icy cold...cupcakes or Katie E's devils food cake..
kadesma

What a great idea. That sounds like great fun to me! If you want something special maybe you could do a seafood themed dinner.
Some ideas:
Spicy boiled shrimp with some dipping sauces
A really nice relish tray
Shrimp or crab dip with assorted crackers
Shrimp salad (I love this!)
Marinated crab claws (Yum-o)
All of the above :mrgreen:

I like just cold fried chicken with potatoe salad too! Have fun!

Wow!! Can I go??? I wanna go!!!! Here's what I always used to take on all day(s) fishin trips

Fish Cleaning Stuff
Cast Iron skillet
Small Bottle of Oil
Small Bag of Meal
Small Bottle of Ketchup
Salt & Pepper
Loaf of Light Bread:ermm:
2 or 3 Gallon Size Zip locks...
Roll of paper towels...
Propane Stove...

Frying fresh fish on a sand bar on the river or the bank of a lake...Does it get any better??? --- Of course for those times when they ain't bitin...better take along a couple of baloney sammiches...Or a can of sardines, and a box of crackers...:LOL:

I like the spicy Swimp idea too!!! Yum!

Great suggestions both of you, thank you!
Kadesma, you are the second person to suggest a muffelatta type sandwich. (i asked my work mates) I LOVE them, but, I made some 2 weeks ago and got the stomach flu or something and honestly, I need a break from it if you know what i mean, just for a few months.
Seafood is great but I'm in the midwest so seafood is expensive and not fresh........I'm leaning toward turkey or chicken. Fried chicken would be something special for us.
I'm sorry, those are good suggestions though. Veggie, pickle trays make sense too. And I think a dessert would be good too.
DANG uncle bob, I can't imagine coming off the lake at 9 and cleaning and cooking......I'm gonna be too worn out. This will probably work for the younger crowd though lol!

Sure, you got your rods and reels ready? Would you bring dessert?:LOL:

You bet!! Will brownies with lots of pecans be Ok???

blissful said:
DANG uncle bob, I can't imagine coming off the lake at 9 and cleaning and cooking......I'm gonna be too worn out. This will probably work for the younger crowd though lol!

You will notice I said "used to" ....:LOL:

You bet!! Will brownies with lots of pecans be Ok???

You will notice I said "used to" ....:LOL:
Yes and lol, I expect pecan brownies, but I'm not going to clean fish AND cook after dark. Thanks for the laugh! !! I 'used to' walk 8 miles a day, that just ain't happening either.

Dessert: UB brownies w/pecans

Fried chicken sounds wonderful..I get tired of sandwiches. I do have a lovely picnic orzo salad that we all enjoy. If interested let me know and I'll send it along.If not have a wonderful time with your family and enjoy fishing. Happy Mothers day.
kades

Omigosh, sounds like some of the "watery" trips Buck and I used to enjoy. We spent many days shooting the rapids on the Potomac River and many of the Maryland and Pennsylvania riverways.

We regularly took cold fried chicken and deviled eggs along, as well as something Buck called "gorp," which literally meant good old raisins and peanuts.

However, Buck was never one to do things halfway. He made gorp his own way.

In a "huge" mixing bowl, he would combine lots of shredded coconut, salted peanuts, raisins, M&Ms (plain and peanut), cashews, dried apples, etc. and whatever dried goodies could be found in the market. Tossed it and put it into large zipper-lock bags.

Yum.

That's funny, Katie. In a previous life, I always took fried chicken and deviled eggs when we went camping. It all went into the Current River (Ozarks, SE Missouri) one year.

For things like this, I make potato salad with quartered or halved (depending on size) red potatoes that I boil and toss with very thinly sliced red onion, minced garlic and chopped green onions, in a dressing with a little champagne vinegar, mustard, olive oil and salt and pepper so I don't have to worry about the mayo sitting out all day ... even in a cooler, that always makes me a little nervous!

For things like this, I make potato salad with quartered or halved (depending on size) red potatoes that I boil and toss with very thinly sliced red onion, minced garlic and chopped green onions, in a dressing with a little champagne vinegar, mustard, olive oil and salt and pepper so I don't have to worry about the mayo sitting out all day ... even in a cooler, that always makes me a little nervous!

Your potato salad sounds good. Care to share the recipe?TYIA

Just wanted to mention, you don't have to worry about mayo sitting out any more than any other food. The idea that it spoils easily is a leftover from the days when it was made with raw eggs. Commercial mayo is made with pasteurized eggs, so it's no more dangerous than anything else. My uncle sailed around the world without refrigeration and ate sandwiches with mayo quite often with no ill effects.

I was going to mention the same thing, GGarlic. Commercial mayo is quite stable and safe.
I always take a nice pasta salad along when we go camping/boating. I also have done a pressed sandwich with salami and cheese. When we go out for a long day on the water, I make sure I have coffee and cookies for mid-morning, and mid-afternoon snacks.
Have a great day!

How about these? They are easy to make and are great picnic food. You'd probably need to triple the recipe.

Deviled Chicken

1/4 c. Dijon Mustard
1 TB vinegar or lemon juice
1 TB. oil
Cayenne to taste
Salt and Pepper
6 chicken drumsticks

Mix together and rub under and over drumstick skin.
Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature or refrigerate up to 2 hours covered.
Grill or bake, turning often, for about 40 minutes or until done.
Serve warm or cold.

OKAY my buds........I made the chicken last night. 5 lbs of baked leg quarters (with thighs) and 5 lbs of fried leg and thighs. We had some last night and we will take the rest on the lake. (Aldi's had them for $3.66 for 5 lb bags-yum)
I've got the potatoes boiled. I have a request to make the potato salad, 'not too oniony' and 'not too much vinegar' and no direction for making it nice except, not too oniony and not too vinegary! :ohmy: I'm leaving in a couple hours, any suggestions? Something to make it a little more sweet maybe? MIne is usually tangy and savory so I'll have to tone it down a bit.
I liked all the suggestions (as we will have many more boat trips and I'll have to try everything out). Thank you!
Uncle Bob hasn't arrived yet, :LOL::LOL::LOL:, he called and said he had a flat tire;), dang those tires, so we might have to make our own dessert and miss his company.
Katie m'dear. gorp is a great idea! It is so reminiscent of my girlscout days.
I'll catch you all up after the trip!
Hey check this out! http://news.cnnbcvideo.com/?nid=j3TkYaXVP.r466WkX__AKjI4Mjc4NDM-&referred_by=15974713-n9m_aSx
Hugs, ~Bliss

Back
Top Bottom