"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-31-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

New Year's Eve Dinner 12/31/2014

Last chance to share your dinner plans for this year. Act now or you'll be too late.

SO and I will be spending a quiet night in front of the fireplace enjoying a variety of appetizer type foods. We'll have shrimp cocktail, marinated herring, champagne, tempura shrimp, prosciutto and cheese, etc.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Enchiladas, the tortillas get dipped in a guajillo chili sauce, then the tortillas kiss the griddle on both sides for a few seconds and get stuffed with TexMex picadillo. Baked until the cheese melts on top. Sides of Mexican red rice and refried black beans.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I am making Chicken quesadillas and taco salads at Dx's. Plenty of guac, sour cream and salsa for either/ both. She is making a surprise dessert. We will meet up later this afternoon for a movie Before dinner. We are not late not people. Happy New Year !
Old 12-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

New Years Eve Dinner 12/31/2014

We have a big bottle of Prosecco from our last trip to Trader Joe's. As for food, I'll need to go freezer spelunking. Hoping to find some black beans and rice.

We've been on vacation for the last two weeks, and prefer to avoid Amateur Night, so will be staying home.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
Wine Guy

Hear ye, hear ye! As mandated by Kroll family tradition, the last day of the year shall be designated "ButterFest," whereupon copious amounts of any food substance that can be dipped in butter shall be consumed. In the past, we've limited it to crab, lobster, shrimp scampi, and artichokes. This year we're adding scallops to the mix. Champagne or some similar sparkling alcoholic beverage will also be imbibed.

Following the festivities, Mrs. K will likely toddle off to bed around 9PM, and yours truly will fall fast asleep in his oversized easy chair while watching one of the NYE specials. Midnight will come and go without anyone in the house being awake to witness it.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Master Chef

I'm having cataract surgery this afternoon, and Steve has a really bad cold so it should be lots of fun tonight.

The SousChef has been planning to make Steve Krolls recipe for Oyster Stew for dinner, so I'm sure he'll make a report later.

Happy New Year everyone!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Head Chef

Ball drops at around 9:30 at our house. We are playing golf this afternoon with friends, then will stop in to the Tiki Bar for a toast to 2015 and a snack. Home by 5 pm, probably.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:18 PM   #8
Head Chef

Haven't heard back yet from the guest I'm going to feed.

It's been narrowed down to either pizza and a salad or pork loin chops, taters, and a salad.

Well at least I know I'm having a salad.

Happy New Year to each and every one of you zany folks.

And many happy returns.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm having cataract surgery this afternoon...
Good luck, Kayelle!
Old 12-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #10
Master Chef

Snacks tonight.

Wings, kielbasa coins, shrimp, crudités (pronounced crud-ites in my family), dip, pistachios, rye and diet ginger ale or maybe a Manhattan.

I'm going to try making pepperoni crisps or chips tonight. Paper thin slices of peperoni baked and then cooled to form a low carb snack chip of sorts, we'll see!

Tags
dinner, new year