"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
. True, Aunt Bea. I've always continued these little things not because I'm particularly superstitious, but because they're things my Mom did, so I look at it as a connection to her. Mom really wasn't superstitious either, but she did have a few "can't do's" on her list. Number one? You CANNOT go to the bathroom during a baseball game or card game if your team is winning. NEVER. Bad, bad, bad. Guess it applies to college football, too, since Notre Dame scored on our Buckeyes a couple times after my trip to "The Library". At least OSU still won. *phew*
This made me laugh!!!

When we were kids we could not use the bathroom at my grandmother's house during a thunderstorm, in case the lightning hit the house and traveled through the pipes. It was the same with using the telephone, doing dishes, watching the television, etc... I have often wondered how many people she knew that were killed that way.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #32
Master Chef

Mom wouldn't let me use the phone, but I think we still watched TV. I know during one really bad electrical thunder storm I was sitting on the couch about two feet from a floor lamp, which was on. We heard a crack of lightning, the bulb blew out, and I got a tingle in my elbow and lower arm. Found out years later, when I was having Mom and Dad's house fixed up for sale, that my dear Dad never grounded the outside receptacle that was tapped off of the same line as the living room outlets.

Tags
shrimp