"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-06-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Product Report: Lindt 70% Dark Chocolate Bar

I had to do some running around today. My first stop was at Bed Bath & Beyond. As I was checking out, I spotted a display with several different brands of Dark Chocolate bars. Now, I'm a big fan of Dark Chocolate. I noticed a few things right off the bat:

Ghiradelli 72% $2.79 + tax
Lindt 70% $2.19 + tax
Hersey's 60% $2.59 + tax

I settled on the Lindt, as I doubt I could taste a difference in 2% of the mix, and the fact that Lindt is cheaper.

The sales clerk was obviously concerned about quality of the product, as he didn't want me to accidentally drop and break the bar. Of course, I told him I was going to break that bar as soon as I could

This is DEFINITELY Dark Chocolate. It's not to bitter, and not to sweet. It took me a bit to get used to it, then I started noticing a "sweet" taste that was somewhat like honey or raspberry.

I would definitely buy this again, especially if I was making something that calls for dark chocolate.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Hershey's is now making a dark chocolate cocoa powder that is good also. If you are a purist and use the big name cocoas, then you may or may not find it to your standards. But I made a chocolate cheesecake for T'giving that was certainly over the top using it.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
Head Chef

I love dark chocolate and I haven't been to Bed, Bath & Beyond for quite a while. Now I do remember that they carry candy.

They have a Nutrition Bar that is the best and it is mixed with dark chocolate and nuts. I always buy about 10 when I am shopping there.

It is interesting how your were able to see the percentage of dark chocolate that were in the 3 bars.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I'm a big fan of El Rey chocolate from Venezuela, from their milk chocolate all the way to 70%. Over 70% gets a bit bitter for my tastebuds.

I usually buy a couple hunks of random chocolate from the chocolate section at Whole Foods every couple weeks. They have a lot of stuff. Picked up some Valrhona hunks a few weeks ago...
Old 12-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

How did you like the Valhrona, Nicholas? Miss Martha is always listing it in her recipes.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
Cook

I had a neighbor who went to Switzerland and, knowing I was a dark chocolate fan, brought back a huge bar for me.

Couldn't read a thing on the package, not that I took the time, but it was delicious. Somehow I even saved four squares for my sister in law.
(they were small squares)

I wonder what percent they use there in the heart of chocolate heaven?
Old 12-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #7
Head Chef

I just read about the Amadei brand of chocolate from Italy. It beat out Valrhona for several awards for the year.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:36 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Valrhona was good, but not exactly spectacular in my book. I'm not a big fan of Lindt either. The best chocolate I've had was the Venezuelan El Rey brand.

Here is their site...
http://www.chocolates-elrey.com/home.html

I hate to say it, but Hershey's new "Cacao Reserve" line of dark chocolates are actually quite tasty! They have a bar with cacao nibs throughout the chocolate that is very-good/excellent in my book. You can't find 'em everywhere, but my local grcoery store actually stocks some.

They made a great website for 'em...
http://www.hersheys.com/cacaoreserve
Old 12-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
I'm glad my husband is computer-illerate, he'd have me out buying this stuff. He's a chocoholic!!! I bought him two big bars last night, he does NOT need anymore. LoL
Old 12-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
I hate to say it, but Hershey's new "Cacao Reserve" line of dark chocolates are actually quite tasty!
Sorry Nick, but I have to call you on this just a bit. Why do you "hate" to say it? What's wrong with admitting that an American (vs. a European or other) manufacturer makes a decent product?