"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Everymom

Saturday June 16, What's on your plate?

My kids are at dance recital right now, I'm headed to work shortly and I haven't given a single thought to dinner! OOPS! I've got to go grab something out of the freezer for them to munch on. We've got key lime pie for dessert though!

What's cooking in your house tonight?

Old 06-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Executive Chef

We're trying a Moroccan chicken dish that uses preserved lemons. Our batch of preserved lemons were ready just this past week. Couscous to go with.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Gigundo Caesar salads.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

We've both been busy with other things all day so a quick light dinner is on tap for us.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I was out the door at 6:00 a.m. so I could do my thing as a director of a local charity. The 1.5 hour drive each way as not fun. I thought I had some extra-firm tofu in the fridge--thought I'd oven roast it and do a stir fry. Wrong, silk tofu. 360 degree turn--I added gama marsala to the drained tofu, some chopped jalapeno peppers, 1/2 lime fresh squeezed lime juice, 1/2 lemon fresh squeezed, lime and lemon zest, some EVOO. (I used my hand mixer to "blend it up.") Set that aside. This is going to be the "sauce" for "creamed" swiss chard. I like the tofu sauce...hopefully it will be okay tossed with the steamed swiss chard. I can guarantee you the tofu sauce doesn't taste like fake chicken. I have some fresh tomatoes--not from the garden, but might toss those in at the last minute or so of tossing the steamed swiss chard with the tofu cream sauce.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
We're trying a Moroccan chicken dish that uses preserved lemons. Our batch of preserved lemons were ready just this past week. Couscous to go with.
Remind me how to make preserved lemons--I always buy mine...expensive!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Master Chef

We had mushroom-Swiss chicken and corn.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I was out the door at 6:00 a.m. so I could do my thing as a director of a local charity. The 1.5 hour drive each way as not fun. I thought I had some extra-firm tofu in the fridge--thought I'd oven roast it and do a stir fry. Wrong, silk tofu. 360 degree turn--I added gama marsala to the drained tofu, some chopped jalapeno peppers, 1/2 lime fresh squeezed lime juice, 1/2 lemon fresh squeezed, lime and lemon zest, some EVOO. (I used my hand mixer to "blend it up.") Set that aside. This is going to be the "sauce" for "creamed" swiss chard. I like the tofu sauce...hopefully it will be okay tossed with the steamed swiss chard. I can guarantee you the tofu sauce doesn't taste like fake chicken. I have some fresh tomatoes--not from the garden, but might toss those in at the last minute or so of tossing the steamed swiss chard with the tofu cream sauce.
Okay--I added some cracked wheat (couldn't find the bulgar--think that might be at the house in the city), added grated carrots and some currants to the swiss chard--boiled it in a curry-based chicken stock I made on the weekend (reserved the stock yet again). Tossed the tomatoes with the tofu while it waited for the Swiss chard. I must say, quite tasty. I could've put it on rice, but I was too tired to do that and I don't usually eat white rice, so would've had to wait a bit longer for the brown rice or barley (my other choice when it comes to putting a dish on something). No onions, no garlic. I did squeeze some more lime juice over top. This was a tofu experiment. I liked it--I liked it a lot--just the right amount of heat and sweet. I don't know what to call it--Swiss Chard with Tofu sauce? Creamed Tofu-Swiss Chard?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CWS_Tofu_experiment 002.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	13933   Click image for larger version

Name:	CWS_Tofu_experiment 003.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	13934  

Old 06-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Okay--I added some cracked wheat (couldn't find the bulgar--think that might be at the house in the city), added grated carrots and some currants to the swiss chard--boiled it in a curry-based chicken stock I made on the weekend (reserved the stock yet again). Tossed the tomatoes with the tofu while it waited for the Swiss chard. I must say, quite tasty. I could've put it on rice, but I was too tired to do that and I don't usually eat white rice, so would've had to wait a bit longer for the brown rice or barley (my other choice when it comes to putting a dish on something). No onions, no garlic. I did squeeze some more lime juice over top. This was a tofu experiment. I liked it--I liked it a lot--just the right amount of heat and sweet. I don't know what to call it--Swiss Chard with Tofu sauce? Creamed Tofu-Swiss Chard?
Forgot--I also added 2 leaves of freshly chopped mint as a garnish.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Baked cod with rice at our house tonight.