Today's vittles? Sunday, 11-24-13.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Comfort food today since it's so cold.

I just put on a big crock-pot full of meaty short ribs, along with a mess 'o onions and some garlic. Taters are peeled and cut ready for when they become mashed taters. Haven't decided on a green veggie yet, but I'm leaning toward baby lima beans. Iced tea, as usual and more of our yummy coconut cream pie for dessert. That should cover it for today.

Going to make "a little of this and a little of that" chicken pasta with smoked motz. Have some grape tomatoes, fresh basil and fennel leftover from other dishes. Might even have some other things to toss in.:yum:

It's cold and windy. I have a headache from the wind. Comfort food here. Making Himself's college favorite, tuna/veggie/mushroom soup/rice casserole. Quick, easy, one pot (or two, since he likes way more rice than I so I mix it the bigger casserole dish, take some out, and add more rice to his). Might sprinkle a bit of cheese over the top just before it's done.

Spending the rest of the day laying in my chair, cat on my lap, trying to forget that I get a bad headache every time the wind is strong. 40 MPH gusts an it's gusting all the time. :(

Pizza and wings, Papa John's style. A bit tired today and will be working tomorrow, so not much time for the kitchen the next couple of weeks.

My boss quit and they haven't replaced her yet, it's going to be fun with me running two desks. No, I don't want the position...too many headaches and it's another step away from patient care.

Beer can chicken (done in the oven) with cheesy mashed potatoes.

img_1321840_0_7c4648a98186abaccd24f53b48b2c9e9.jpg

Pizza and wings, Papa John's style. A bit tired today and will be working tomorrow, so not much time for the kitchen the next couple of weeks.

My boss quit and they haven't replaced her yet, it's going to be fun with me running two desks. No, I don't want the position...too many headaches and it's another step away from patient care.

Oh no! Not Patron's mom? Great. Just what you need.

Sure wish Cruella DeVille, my boss, would quit....

I think I'll go ahead with the previously planned chili. Unfortunately, we're down to the last onion.

Defrosting some chicken wings for dinner tonight. I was going to do them on the grill but it's still quite windy here. We've had two brief power interruptions today. If the wind continues, using the gas grill may not be the best idea. I may have to use the oven.

Oh no! Not Patron's mom? Great. Just what you need.

Sure wish Cruella DeVille, my boss, would quit....

I think I'll go ahead with the previously planned chili. Unfortunately, we're down to the last onion.

I was going to cook, until I realized I was out of onions. Really don't feel like shopping today.

I would have thought with the power interruptions that using the gas grill would be your best option.
I've been noticing something with my Genesis already though. It appears the flame is only coming out of one side in all of the burners. The left side. I don't even know how that is possible.

Defrosting some chicken wings for dinner tonight. I was going to do them on the grill but it's still quite windy here. We've had two brief power interruptions today. If the wind continues, using the gas grill may not be the best idea. I may have to use the oven.

You could get one of these for the grill flares and blowing flames:

Attachments

• cpa-fire-entry-suit.jpg
    cpa-fire-entry-suit.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 210
Looks like a perfect solution for me. I have a couple of them in storage. I hope they still fit...

Last edited:
Ogres are like onions.....

LOL!!

Shrek: For your information, there's a lot more to ogres than people think.
Donkey: Example?
Shrek: Example... uh... ogres are like onions!
[holds up an onion, which Donkey sniffs]
Donkey: They stink?
Shrek: Yes... No!
Donkey: Oh, they make you cry?
Shrek: No!
Donkey: Oh, you leave 'em out in the sun, they get all brown, start sproutin' little white hairs...
Shrek: [peels an onion] NO! Layers. Onions have layers. Ogres have layers. Onions have layers. You get it? We both have layers.
[walks off]
Donkey: Oh, you both have LAYERS. Oh. You know, not everybody like onions. What about cake? Everybody loves cake!
Shrek: I don't care what everyone else likes! Ogres are not like cakes.
Donkey: You know what ELSE everybody likes? Parfaits! Have you ever met a person, you say, "Let's get some parfait," they say, "Hell no, I don't like no parfait"? Parfaits are delicious!
Shrek: NO! You dense, irritating, miniature beast of burden! Ogres are like onions! End of story! Bye-bye! See ya later.
Donkey: Parfait's gotta be the most delicious thing on the whole damn planet!

Baked ham, scalloped potatoes or maybe Potatoes Dauphinois, roasted beet and spinach salad, baked acorn squash, rustic artisan bread. Fresh oatmeal cookies fir dessert. ;)

mmmm, oatmeal cookies. I haven't had oatmeal cookies in ages.
What are those storebought cookies that are really good? They've got oatmeal and maybe coconut (maybe not). Kind of thin with a brownish edge? Darn, this could mean a trip to the store tomorrow, but I don't even know if they make them anymore.

We had our yellowstone ham. We took a canned ham on our trip to yellowstone this fall but were entirely too busy to get involved in that much of a meal, what a trip.
The ham's importance is my wife's grandmother used to make a canned ham for Sunday lunch, so it was a trip down memory lane for her. To go with the ham we had baby turnips and baby turnip greens. Baby turnips are good; saute' the greens in a little coconut oil and every other green just pales. Oh my oh my that is some good stuff there.
Now we are nibbling on a loaf of no knead that we tried to make into scissor rolls. Much to wet and much to much to make the baguette form needed. So I just let it spread out, just before going into the oven brushed on some olive oil and sprinkled a little salt. An almost focaccia bread that is aaawesome!

Me neither. I make the Quaker Oats recipe (Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies) and they are the best. I think I'll have to make some this season.

That's the recipe I am making today Andy! (same recipe, I believe I have always used). Love oatmeal cookies!

Pac, I have no idea what "store bought" cookies you are talking about????

Back
Top Bottom