"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-03-2005, 01:32 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bupo107

I wish they'd put Alton Brown in the mix and see if he could go up against those guys. He's the Mr. Science of food knowledge...
Dr Hattori had a chance to battle once... if Alton does battle one day that would RULE! On his show he seems to only do "man food" but Im sure that he can put together some crazy stuff if required to.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:17 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Consul Send a message via AIM to Consul
Hi! New guy here, but you all just touched on one of my favorite shows, Iron Chef.

I still much prefer the Japanese production over the American one. Here's where I think the American one goes wrong:

No banter - All you hear through most of the show is Alton's commentating. I am a big fan of Alton Brown, but he needs some people to talk to besides Kevin. If you watch the original, you have an announcer (Fukui), an expert (Hattori), and one or two of the judges, and they all talk about the battle with each other. If Alton had a few people with him to look on the battle and talk, it would be much better I think. I can only imagine how good the Tsai/Flay battle could've been if Ted Allen and Alton could have bantered through the entire battle.

The choices in Iron Chefs - I'm with most of you on this one. Flay shouldn't be there. I would've much rather seen three master chefs that I had never heard of, as we would then be seeing things we aren't already used to.

Choice of who to battle - In IC America, the chairman (a character the show could do without, really) makes the choice of who the challenger is to battle. In the Japanese show, the challenger almost always makes this choice themselves, except in rare "special occasion" battles.

How about a little more on the challenger? - One of the things I like most about the Japanese series is that they spend an easy 5-6 minutes talking all about the challengers and giving their histories. It gives context to the entire battle.

There are, however, a few things I think they do well:

Alton and Kevin - These two work well together, and I think Kevin Brauch was a great choice for floor reporter. I like him on The Thirsty Traveller quite a bit.

The communication between people - I actually like how you can clearly hear the two chefs, the judges, and Alton all together, and how well they can communicate with each other across the floor. Now if only they would expand on this a little...

Okay, that's it for now. Sorry for the long newbie post.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:53 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Welcome aboard Darren!

I really agree with your post... especially the Alton/Kevin part. My roomate kept saying "this guy is dumb, he asks too many questions" and I told him "that's his job... to get every one to talk so the viewers can learn new things".

Edit: doh!
Old 02-03-2005, 01:02 PM   #24
Senior Cook

My name's Darren, but thanks all the same. ;)

Actually, I went a little overboard with that post, but I've been dying to get that all off of my chest. Nobody else I know cares about Iron Chef, if they've heard of it at all.

About Tsai vs. Flay...

I have a friend in culinary school who has met Flay twice. His observations of the man are the same as all of yours: he's a jerk.

Tsai had a lot of guts to try Peking duck in one hour. The part that blows me away is that he actually managed to pull it off. I loved the part where he pulled out the air compressor and stuffed it into the duck. That should go down in the annals of cooking history. :)

Two things I would like to see on Iron Chef America (besides everything I outlined above):

1) "Please welcome Challenger Martin Yan!"
2) "We unveil the secret ingredient... SPAM!"

Those need not be the same episode, though that would be funny...

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Old 02-03-2005, 02:55 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Welcome to the site Consul - and roflmao on the Spam!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:03 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Thanks, kitchenelf!

Maybe if they had a challenger from Hawaii? ;) (I don't know anything about Hawaii firsthand, but I've heard stories about how popular Spam meat is there.)

You know, I'd be willing to bet that you could make some good dishes with Spam if you took the time to know it as an ingredient. Maybe I should play around with that some.

This coming from someone that actually likes Spam, although it does have to be cooked.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:16 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Consul, I am from Hawaii and we love Spam,(sorry norge). Here is a link to the Spam web page. Interesting stuff there.
http://www.spam.com/es.htm

Old 02-03-2005, 05:18 PM   #28
Certified Executive Chef

I hate to instill some controversy here, but I am an activist, so here goes. Saying of the day......spam is bad food and bad e-mail sorry guys
Old 02-03-2005, 05:26 PM   #29
Executive Chef

A difference of opinions is what makes the world interesting, norge.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:31 PM   #30
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
A difference of opinions is what makes the world interesting, norge.

Yes wasabi, you are correct. I figured if I was going to slam spam, I had better take a look at the link you provided, wanted to see what someone did with it, but no recipes. How do you cook (isn't it already cooked) it? I remember I liked it, my mother used to fix it, but have not had it since I was a kid. She would fry until crunchy on outside and put on a piece of toast with an egg on top.