"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-05-2006, 07:46 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
wasn't there a thing years ago about not eating oysters during months that don't have an "r" in them? i know it had to do with refrigeration, but i wonder if they knew something else?
lots of old folks, old enough to remember ice boxes, weren't the best at 'splaining things. it was more of a "shuddup and watch me boy, do as i do" type of learning.

i wonder if they knew about bacterium, from a trial and error kinda way.
Break out your old copies of the "Farmer's Almanac" ... it's partially due to the reproductive cycle of the oysters ... partly to do with "algie blooms".

Doesn't have squat to do with refrigeration .... it has to do with the cycles of nature.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:47 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I'm using your 1/2 shell Pacific's Lyn, Jumbo-Jumbo size for crumbing. Did you know that Australia has banned importing oyster meat, some restaurants were re-using the shells and people were getting sick. Just takes a few to spoil it for the rest.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:06 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
No Attie, they are always fresh oysters that I eat/use for biz or personal consumption.

There was recently a HUGE scandal in lil ole' NZ during the visiting Irish Rugby teams match with the Allblacks. Apparently, the stadium caterers staff had forgotten to order the 100's of dozen local fresh oysters required for the corporate boxes so had to have a hasty rethink!! Bad move. They chose imported Korean ( Im sure they said that) oysters but neglected to read the disclaimer on the packaging ( its bad enough they were frozen when the punters expected/wanted fresh!!) which stated that the oysters MUST only be eaten cooked.
So....long story short, punters ate raw oysters from Korea, meant to be cooked because, as we have found out, they can contain some wee nasty bug as they are harvested near an open sewer area.
AN OPEN SEWER AREA???? And we are importing them?? Dear Lord.
Needless to say, it made national news when many high fliers got VERY ill and that Caterer's biz, obviously, is in trouble. Bad judgment/bad oysters/sick punters.
For me, if I cant get local fresh, I dont have them on my menu.
Simple!!
BTW anyone reading this...our Government is now looking more closely at banning these products. So much for Clean Green New Zealand at times like this. Its embarrassing.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:12 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Sheesh Attie..yeah, the Pacifics on 1/2 shell are wonderful...all our oysters are but I only hope that one day I can live on Bluff Oysters (see, I capitalise them!!) and a good drop of the grape. I will be waiting a long time methinks.
We have been paying nearly NZ$2 an oyster this season. ( Bluff, but worth every cent!!)
Old 08-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Buckytom, the old adage to stay away from shellfish in the months with no 'R's is the red tide thing. This danger is different. I live in the northwest on the straits of Juan de Fuca and this is really hitting my little town of Port Angeles badly.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
wasn't there a thing years ago about not eating oysters during months that don't have an "r" in them? i know it had to do with refrigeration, but i wonder if they knew something else?
Bucky, that "thing" about not eating oysters in months that don't have "r's" in them has to do with the time of year when oysters spawn. It had nothing to do with refrigeration. In fact, it is still true today, only because folks are so accustomed to having what they want WHEN they want, we're now eating oysters in the off months. It's better for them and we get better oysters if we wait for the cooler months... when the waters the oysters thrive in are colder...

You don't see many oysters on menus in Europe in the summertime.... I guess they can wait!

Im also guessing that it's the reverse in the Southern Hemisphere. Lynan? Attie???
Old 08-07-2006, 12:04 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

thank you mikey, cjs, and chefjune for the info.

i mistated: i meant i know we can have them now in all seasons because of refrigeration, but yes, i've looked around and found that oysters in the northern hemisphere generally spawn around early summer, so they're much less plump, and harvesting them during the spawn decreases future yields.

the algae blooms, red tides, and bacterial infestations such as vibrio are seperate, usually localized issues, but coincide with the warmer months.

now, i still have a question: where did that expression come from. one article from brussels that i've read says it's an old french term. another says it comes from late 19th century louisiana. the oyster beds were being overharvested, so they banned harvest during and after the spawn, or months with an "r".

some of the info i looked up: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/shelfish/beachreg/3clam.htm

http://safeoysters.org/consumers/eating.htm

http://www.marylandseafood.org/facts...oysters/qa.php

http://clarionherald.org/20050420/stall.htm

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:43 AM   #18
Sous Chef

"Im also guessing that it's the reverse in the Southern Hemisphere. Lynan? Attie???"
You are right June. Apart from around Sydney and northern New South Wales we realy don't have much of an oyster industry. Pretty well all we use here in North Queensland come from New Zealand now.

I pay AU $8 doz for bistro size and $10 doz for jumbo-jumbo, the average shell size of the J-J is about as big as a mans hand, maybe a little less.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #19
Master Chef

I just had some nice raw oysters from Washington about 2 weeks ago. I prefer pacific coast oysters.