"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 08-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Head Chef
What's for Dinner, Saturday, August 23?

It is late afternoon and no dinner thread started yet. I came here for ideas, no luck.
I have to work tomorrow evening shift, so I am making Beef Stroganoff, fresh Garden Salad and Fresh Peach Pie with Candied Pecan Topping. I am looking forward to eating that.

PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Paul's taking me out to dinner! Not sure where but fancy, good, relaxed and quiet are the requirements.!!

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Givin' my little 4-cup crock-pot another workout. Threw some onions, carrots, celery and chicken in. Did the salt and pepper thing and added some fresh basil leaves. Should begin to smell good pretty soon. Not sure what else I'll have. It's warmed up here again and that depresses my appetite. As it is, I'll probably eat half of what I cook today. Want something sweet, but it's too hot to bake.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
Sous Chef
Leftover hickory smoked chicken quarters and breasts here.

Wife says it's the best rub I've made. Glad I wrote it down.
Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
Executive Chef
going to a BBQ so not sure yet........but I am taking a variety of hummuses and corn crisps for a app.
I had planned to make a fresh loave of bread today but HA! That didn't happen!!
"Many people have eaten my cooking & gone on to lead Normal lives."

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I dunno what I'll be eating, but I'll definitely be cooking! There were some absolutely incredible deals at the store last night, and I ended up coming home with around 40 pounds of whole chickens and pork products- all of which I'll be breaking down soon. I'll start with the chicken, so I can get some stock made, and then I'll probably start trimming pork loins, and then start my boston butt curing to be used in pulled pork later this week.

I also grabbed some dried anchos, and since I'm nearly out of my homemade mole sauce, I'm bedating on whether I should make more, or simply use the anchos as a base for some homemade BBQ, which I am out of.

I got a huge watermelon, which I need to break down to use for watermelon salsa.

I'm guessing that all of this will be taking up the rest of my afternoon and most of the evening- and I'll probably just end up nibbling throughout the day.
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
Head Chef
Just got back from vacation. No food in the house so we will go out. I am in the mood for a nice piece of RED meat!
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Head Chef
We are going to a couples baby shower. My neighbor is having 60 people over for this AND he is grilling steaks for everyone - is that nuts or what?! He told me there will be a bourbon slush station - now, this is my kind of baby shower!
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
Executive Chef
My in laws took us out for dinner.
"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
Senior Cook
Meatloaf, potato patties, tiny Brussels sprouts, green beans, tomato/cucumber salad and dessert will be ice cream. All vegetables are from today's farmers market.

marigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote