"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #61
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I don't believe that. How is a decision to not overeat NOT available to someone based on their income or residence?
Try an experiment. Deprive any kid of breakfast and lunch and then see how many Big Macs and fries they'll eat at supper.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:06 PM   #62
Executive Chef

Its many things lack of education lack of money, lack of excercise,being epxosed to massive advertising the fact that you can go to a grocery store that has entire rows devoted to chips,cookies and other foods made with trans fats the cheapest way to make these things.They force you to go thru these rows just to get some milk or vegetables.Also we have become really lazy and dont want to cook its all about convinience.And a lot of people just dont eat vegatables,they just dont appreciate them because they never really ate them when they were kids, I suppose.Refined foods is another problem no one seems to want to eat food in its natural state.Then heres another issue people eating because of something missing emotionaly to fill a void in their lives.I think America has alot of depressed individuals I also believe if you are raised on bad food then thats all you know so thats what you eat.I also believe rather then having a sweet tooth alot of people developed a fat tooth fat which is also really addictive.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:13 PM   #63
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
I also believe rather then having a sweet tooth alot of people developed a fat tooth fat which is also really addictive.
Did you coin that?

Old 07-26-2007, 11:19 PM   #64
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Try an experiment. Deprive any kid of breakfast and lunch and then see how many Big Macs and fries they'll eat at supper.
My comments throughout this thread have addressed the free will of individuals. A 'kid' doesn't always get to exercise free will in a world run by adults or have the intellectual maturity to make inportant decisions for themselves. So I have focused on adults.

That aside. I understand your point. Were it an adult scarfing up big macs, I'd say they were making a concious decision to overeat to compensate for day-long hunger.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:20 PM   #65
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Vera, thanks for stating that. It seems to be accepted as a truism but I don't believe it. Oatmeal and brown rice are inexpensive grains and easy to cook. Legumes are very inexpensive and incredibly easy. Many fruits and vegetables are inexpensive. Milk and eggs are cheap. Soybean oil is very inexpensive. It is just not true that takeout costs less than healthy home cooked.

DC members have the opportunity to alleviate this misunderstanding thereby improving the nutrition of many poor, indolent, or ignorant people.

I hope there is a lot of debate and discussion of this issue.
And this is where education comes in. You know how to cook legumes and grains. You know that they are healthy. Believe it or not, not everyone does. You would think that people know these things, but I have run into uneducated people who think fast food is plenty healthy.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:32 PM   #66
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Its many things lack of education lack of money, lack of excercise,being epxosed to massive advertising the fact that you can go to a grocery store that has entire rows devoted to chips,cookies and other foods made with trans fats the cheapest way to make these things.They force you to go thru these rows just to get some milk or vegetables.Also we have become really lazy and dont want to cook its all about convinience.And a lot of people just dont eat vegatables,they just dont appreciate them because they never really ate them when they were kids, I suppose.Refined foods is another problem no one seems to want to eat food in its natural state.Then heres another issue people eating because of something missing emotionaly to fill a void in their lives.I think America has alot of depressed individuals I also believe if you are raised on bad food then thats all you know so thats what you eat.I also believe rather then having a sweet tooth alot of people developed a fat tooth fat which is also really addictive.

These are all circumstances which may encourage individuals to eat unhealthy foods or to eat in excess.

It takes an effort on the part of the individual to say no to them and practice proper eating habits.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:34 PM   #67
Executive Chef

Quote:
Did you coin that?
No I did not but read it somewhere and I believe its true that we get an appetite for fat.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:46 PM   #68
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
These are all circumstances which may encourage individuals to eat unhealthy foods or to eat in excess.

It takes an effort on the part of the individual to say no to them and practice proper eating habits.
Yes that is true but if they have never tried to eat healthy or dont know how to cook and eat healthy they just wont do it.I have met so many people that have not had certain vegatables etc before they will not even try it.I have met people who dont know what salmon is or artichokes,asparagus or fresh cherries and so on,all they know is cherries from a can.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:47 AM   #69
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
And this is where education comes in. You know how to cook legumes and grains. You know that they are healthy. Believe it or not, not everyone does. You would think that people know these things, but I have run into uneducated people who think fast food is plenty healthy.
In this day and age there are a lot of uneducated people like me who are online. Does anybody screen out googled sites above a specified education level? This is where sites like this one come in. We can still cater to the folks who want to discuss caviar and truffles but a forum dedicated to quality dishes cooked with inexpensive ingredients would be helpful to many current members, including myself, and a huge numbers of guests who visit daily. There is a constituency here that would rather exclude us great unwashed, but I think they are a minority.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:04 AM   #70
Executive Chef

Quote:
Vera, thanks for stating that. It seems to be accepted as a truism but I don't believe it. Oatmeal and brown rice are inexpensive grains and easy to cook. Legumes are very inexpensive and incredibly easy. Many fruits and vegetables are inexpensive. Milk and eggs are cheap. Soybean oil is very inexpensive. It is just not true that takeout costs less than healthy home cooked.

DC members have the opportunity to alleviate this misunderstanding thereby improving the nutrition of many poor, indolent, or ignorant people.

I hope there is a lot of debate and discussion of this issue.
And families want to eat oatmeal and brown rice?....especially when they are bombarded with the junk?? Easy to cook??? For a person who may have some cooking knowledge and a pantry full of things to add to it. Beans for dinner??? Most people eschew beans in general. If your only option for fresh fruit and vegetables are the local supermarket, they are most assuredely not cheap, and they are not local produce, either. The price of milk has risen three times in the past year.