"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #61
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I don't believe that. How is a decision to not overeat NOT available to someone based on their income or residence?
Try an experiment. Deprive any kid of breakfast and lunch and then see how many Big Macs and fries they'll eat at supper.
__________________

__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:06 PM   #62
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Its many things lack of education lack of money, lack of excercise,being epxosed to massive advertising the fact that you can go to a grocery store that has entire rows devoted to chips,cookies and other foods made with trans fats the cheapest way to make these things.They force you to go thru these rows just to get some milk or vegetables.Also we have become really lazy and dont want to cook its all about convinience.And a lot of people just dont eat vegatables,they just dont appreciate them because they never really ate them when they were kids, I suppose.Refined foods is another problem no one seems to want to eat food in its natural state.Then heres another issue people eating because of something missing emotionaly to fill a void in their lives.I think America has alot of depressed individuals I also believe if you are raised on bad food then thats all you know so thats what you eat.I also believe rather then having a sweet tooth alot of people developed a fat tooth fat which is also really addictive.
__________________

__________________
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:13 PM   #63
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
I also believe rather then having a sweet tooth alot of people developed a fat tooth fat which is also really addictive.
Did you coin that?
__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:19 PM   #64
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Try an experiment. Deprive any kid of breakfast and lunch and then see how many Big Macs and fries they'll eat at supper.
My comments throughout this thread have addressed the free will of individuals. A 'kid' doesn't always get to exercise free will in a world run by adults or have the intellectual maturity to make inportant decisions for themselves. So I have focused on adults.

That aside. I understand your point. Were it an adult scarfing up big macs, I'd say they were making a concious decision to overeat to compensate for day-long hunger.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:20 PM   #65
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Vera, thanks for stating that. It seems to be accepted as a truism but I don't believe it. Oatmeal and brown rice are inexpensive grains and easy to cook. Legumes are very inexpensive and incredibly easy. Many fruits and vegetables are inexpensive. Milk and eggs are cheap. Soybean oil is very inexpensive. It is just not true that takeout costs less than healthy home cooked.

DC members have the opportunity to alleviate this misunderstanding thereby improving the nutrition of many poor, indolent, or ignorant people.

I hope there is a lot of debate and discussion of this issue.
And this is where education comes in. You know how to cook legumes and grains. You know that they are healthy. Believe it or not, not everyone does. You would think that people know these things, but I have run into uneducated people who think fast food is plenty healthy.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:32 PM   #66
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Its many things lack of education lack of money, lack of excercise,being epxosed to massive advertising the fact that you can go to a grocery store that has entire rows devoted to chips,cookies and other foods made with trans fats the cheapest way to make these things.They force you to go thru these rows just to get some milk or vegetables.Also we have become really lazy and dont want to cook its all about convinience.And a lot of people just dont eat vegatables,they just dont appreciate them because they never really ate them when they were kids, I suppose.Refined foods is another problem no one seems to want to eat food in its natural state.Then heres another issue people eating because of something missing emotionaly to fill a void in their lives.I think America has alot of depressed individuals I also believe if you are raised on bad food then thats all you know so thats what you eat.I also believe rather then having a sweet tooth alot of people developed a fat tooth fat which is also really addictive.

These are all circumstances which may encourage individuals to eat unhealthy foods or to eat in excess.

It takes an effort on the part of the individual to say no to them and practice proper eating habits.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:34 PM   #67
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Did you coin that?
No I did not but read it somewhere and I believe its true that we get an appetite for fat.
__________________
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:46 PM   #68
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
These are all circumstances which may encourage individuals to eat unhealthy foods or to eat in excess.

It takes an effort on the part of the individual to say no to them and practice proper eating habits.
Yes that is true but if they have never tried to eat healthy or dont know how to cook and eat healthy they just wont do it.I have met so many people that have not had certain vegatables etc before they will not even try it.I have met people who dont know what salmon is or artichokes,asparagus or fresh cherries and so on,all they know is cherries from a can.
__________________
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:47 AM   #69
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
And this is where education comes in. You know how to cook legumes and grains. You know that they are healthy. Believe it or not, not everyone does. You would think that people know these things, but I have run into uneducated people who think fast food is plenty healthy.
In this day and age there are a lot of uneducated people like me who are online. Does anybody screen out googled sites above a specified education level? This is where sites like this one come in. We can still cater to the folks who want to discuss caviar and truffles but a forum dedicated to quality dishes cooked with inexpensive ingredients would be helpful to many current members, including myself, and a huge numbers of guests who visit daily. There is a constituency here that would rather exclude us great unwashed, but I think they are a minority.
__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:04 AM   #70
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Vera, thanks for stating that. It seems to be accepted as a truism but I don't believe it. Oatmeal and brown rice are inexpensive grains and easy to cook. Legumes are very inexpensive and incredibly easy. Many fruits and vegetables are inexpensive. Milk and eggs are cheap. Soybean oil is very inexpensive. It is just not true that takeout costs less than healthy home cooked.

DC members have the opportunity to alleviate this misunderstanding thereby improving the nutrition of many poor, indolent, or ignorant people.

I hope there is a lot of debate and discussion of this issue.
And families want to eat oatmeal and brown rice?....especially when they are bombarded with the junk?? Easy to cook??? For a person who may have some cooking knowledge and a pantry full of things to add to it. Beans for dinner??? Most people eschew beans in general. If your only option for fresh fruit and vegetables are the local supermarket, they are most assuredely not cheap, and they are not local produce, either. The price of milk has risen three times in the past year.
__________________

__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.