"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-16-2006, 06:28 PM   #41
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
It's a sort of cake (dumpling) boiled in a muslin cloth (cloot in Auld Scots) hence, clootie dumpling!
Aaah! Gotcha!

Old 05-16-2006, 06:52 PM   #42
Executive Chef

In New Mexico its our red and green chilis,blue corn meal In sure there is more.Corazon what else do we have?

Old 05-17-2006, 06:10 AM   #43
Master Chef

I love it! Yes, I've lived in California, actually started (SF Bay Area) and finished (Lompoc) my school years there. California is too large an area (to me, OK?) to consider it one place as far as food goes. For example, I can buy the Santa Barbara Olive Company olives here in Galena, IL. It's another thing entirely to buy them in their Solvang store, where hubby was complimented on his manners (he actually takes off his baseball cap when he enters a store). I have also been to the home of garlic, the Napa Valley wine train, numerous cheese places, etc. I want to hear about the food near you.

I love it here because there are so many foods that originate here, and yet no one knows about it. I visited my family in FL recently and brought tons of local foods. They were a huge hit.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:15 AM   #44
Master Chef

Breezy, your relatives aren't too far away. I haven't seen "cheese here" signs, but have for morel mushrooms and asparagus, and yes, we pull off and go to the farm to buy them!! Several times a year we hit the cheese "factories" and buy the stronger, better cheeses that the grocery stores may not sell.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:21 PM   #45
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
......and finished (Lompoc) my school years there........... It's another thing entirely to buy them in their Solvang store.....
Holy Cow! Claire, I grew up in Santa Barbara, and went to Solvang one Sunday each month as a kid to go to Pea Soup Andersons. And later on, as a young adult, my job took me to Lompoc every Friday for a year.
You ought to see Solvang nowadays. Still pretty, but my Dad built up a lot of buildings and made them even more ornate
Old 05-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #46
Master Chef

jkath, it is a favorite spot. Hubby and I spent 3 years on the road in an RV, and stayed for a month at Vandenberg AFB (where I lived when I graduated from high school -- Cabrillo). This was about 7 years ago. We loved it. I spent lots of time in Solvang. Re-discovered old friends, relatives visited, etc. The area was, if anything, prettier than it had been when I lived there (in the early 70s it was in draught; when we were there it was wetter, so greener).
Old 05-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #47
Master Chef

When I lived in Virginia, it was anything peanut or ham. In Hawaii I loved macadamia nuts ... but in fact, I lived there off and on for almost 10 years, and don't think I ever paid for any of the following:

pineapples
coconuts
mangoes
papayas
limes
oranges

It seemed we always had freinds who would provide us with them. It was very popular to just use a majic marker, write an address on a coconut, and mail it! I had a rarity for a grandfather: a man who LOVED fruit cake. There was a fruitcake featuring pineapple and macs out of Kemoo Farms that was a huge hit with him. It was a huge hit locally, too, after I was though with it (meaning I bought them, then poured spiced dark rum over it, re-wrapped, then served after it had aged a bit).

Believe me, I didn't mean to denigrate the bounty that is California, just wanted responses that were more local. For example, in the area I lived in, it was "Santa Maria Barbecue". I was stunned to hear about this. I lived there and had never heard of it when I grew up. Then I learned it was our normal good-weather fare: grilled, marinated tri-tip steaks, pinquito beans cooked in a chili type manner. The thing you'd actually buy as a gift or take away as a souvenier might be a bag of pinquito beans. You won't see them too many other places. Hmmmm ... I think I might need to get some Lompocian (?) (Lompocals? Lompocanians?) freinds to send me a sack of them!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 05:00 PM   #48
Master Chef

Oh, yes, as was already said, you couldn't forget pea soup!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Ah but in Hawaii, if you lived on Oahu, you wouldn't be able to call macadamia nuts "local" since they are grown and processed almost exclusively on the Big Island.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:55 PM   #50
Master Chef

Well - locally produced unique foods here in Fort Worth ... Ranch Style Beans and Wolf Brand Chili. Out on the Northside around the old stockyards (a predominantly Mexican area of town) you'll find tamales and Mexican pastries like no place else - except for maybe San Antonio. Something else that we have, but you probably wouldn't want to buy a package of it to give as gifts, is a major Bungee Foods plant that processes tons of cooking oils ... everything from tanker cars of oil for cooking your breakfast cerals (corn flakes, etc) - to the oil used to cook fries for several large chains - and specialty blends used for pastry.