"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Old 02-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef
Another Restaurant Thread

Tonight, SO and I had dinner with another couple at a local restaurant. It was a nice restaurant and the food was very good. Here's a link to their site: Moonstones Chelmsford

On the menu was a section on the bottom of one of the pages in the middle of the menu titled "the fine print". Several things listed there including dress code (look nice), turn off your cell phones (be important later), etc.

But, the one thing that really caught my eye was a statement that the restaurant schedules reservations for a table two hours apart and that we should be considerate of those who follow.

I have never seen a statement like this in a restaurant before and was annoyed by it. OK, two hours is a reasonable time for a couple having dinner but not nearly enough for a larger party. The four of us were there for three hours. This is not a casual, chain restaurant like Chili's or similar. It's step (or two) above. Everything about the place suggests you should expect a special dining experience.

So, what's your opinion? A reasonable request or the "bum's rush"?

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
I know that many are split on this topic but, when I go to a very nice place, I do not expect to be rushed over dinner. Honestly, I rarely linger over food, but like to think that my reservation will allow me to do so.

If the restaurant told me that my reservation was for two hours, I would likely go elsewhere. If it was a place that I was taking someone who really wanted to go to that place, I would expect to be seated at the very time of my reservation, etc.

I loved going to Europe where meals were paced leisurely and the dining experience seemed luxurious even at casual places. At one point in life, we ate out a lot, but, lately, we have been eating more at home. Therefore, eating out has become very special to us. I tip well, tend to avoid chains, and expect to be able to linger on those rare occasions when I have the time to linger.

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
"Bum's Rush"...I hate it!
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
Sous Chef
I personally do not have a problem with this.

I am sure every place has gone over how many customers they need to turn over every day to be a successful business. If they can not do that then they will lose money and not be able to keep doors open.

At least, in our area, a bar would seems more like a place to sit down for a few hours and chat with friends.

You would not only cost the restaurant money not being able to sit another customer but possible extra tip money for the wait staff, assuming you pay a % of the bill.

I am sure some restaurants may be set up for this but not all can. I have been to places that you could sit for hours but they also charged $75+ a plate. Again, my location I am sure is not the norm but that is my take.
NAchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:47 AM   #5
Head Chef
LOL, lots of things to consider from a deceptively simple question as there are many potential 'hot buttons' just waiting to be pushed.
I've got no problem with a 'dress code' in an upscale restaurant but some of the other admonitions are patronizing to say the least.
I don't know Chelmsford so maybe a place like this is unique enough to have them 'standing in the aisles' and so they can get away with their 2 hour restriction. I can tell you for sure it wouldn't be tolerated in L.A., probably boston also, and would be a prescription for early closure. They're charging enough so that the customers shouldn't have to feel pressured to eat and leave in a designated time but...
I read the reviews (except the Boston Globe who want you to buy their review unless you're a subscriber) all from 08, so apparently it works for them.
So summary time--if they're enforcing their edict, they wouldn't get my business, if they're the only game in town, I might change my opinion!
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
Master Chef
You and I have similar taste in restaurants and I totally agree with you. I haver never seen it on a menu and consider it pretty rude, indeed. I'd consider not going back.

On a related note, we had a fabulous dinner at this place which is up your way, sorta: http://www.evenfallrestaurant.com/
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
Senior Cook
I don't have a problem with the restaurant letting me know that their dinner reservations are scheduled for two hours. I would rather see that than have the waitperson hover close to my table with the hope that I will get up and leave.

If one is going out with a large group, probably a restaurant like that would not be the place to go. Maybe one could find a place that has a separate room for a large group. Or maybe one could go later, when the rush would be over. Or maybe one could have a pot luck at home where there are no time limits.

Thankfully, seriously, thankfully there are all kinds of people in this world and for that reason there are all kinds of restaurants. It is not possible for one restaurant to please everyone.
DMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
Executive Chef
If the restaurant is packed and people are waiting to be seated, I have no problem with a two hour limit so long as I know about it in advance. If there are empty tables and no one waiting, then I'm going to take as long as I want. I'll even tip a little more just for the extended service.
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
Head Chef
I think it is only a request. It is obviously not an enforced policy since you stayed 3 hours. Did anyone make you feel as though you were not welcome when your 2 hours were up?
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
Executive Chef
We put rules in place to help us increase our sales. If you don't have rules to protect yourself, people will, and they do, abuse the situation. It is a private buisness after all. Most of the time we put them there incase we need to seat other parties. If there aren't any waiting, then it is usually no problem. You only have so much time in a day to make sales, and need to maximise them. If another party arrived and couldn't get a seat, that wouldn't be a good thing for your buisness either. They would probably think twice before returning to or recomending your place.

Like was said before. Its their place, so its there rules. You can choose to take it or leave it. Maybe next time you can plan to move the party to someplace else for dessert and drinks.

Rocklobster is online now   Reply With Quote