"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 10-13-2007, 01:00 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Now I have a craving for the saviatta/shavolettes!!! There is a deli in Waldwick, NJ (Bergen County) that carries those delicious,elusive creations.They don't bake them there but, I have yet to find out where they do get them from. Love and energy, Vicki

Old 10-16-2007, 10:59 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Boldly called the bakery and asked....

I can't believe I did it, but all they could say was no...and they did. A friend of mine made aquaintance with someone who recently visited my nearby hometown (babylon NY). She had been to Massapequa NY and went with friends to San Remo Bakery. When I showed her the picture she remembered seeing them there. Got their number and called to pursued them into giving up the recipe, or at least possibly shipping the goods! But they don't ship either. Anyway the cookie is not Saviordi or Lady fingers (that we know) and it is pronounced : "Sa" "Vee" "Ah" "Dee"...but they don't know how to spell it either. Every search comes up dead end...saviatte, saviadi, etc. Anyway it's the best kept secret ever! And why many bakeries stopped making it, no one knows. It is not the most spectacular cookie ever, but it is one that holds many memories for many that grew up in the area. Probably because when really young and teething, that was the first cookie that was safe to eat. I don't know but I want some....well I really want to be able to make them before my new grandson starts teething....please help he's already 3 months old !!!!!

Old 03-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

the best cookie

Hey there cookie hounds, after all this you still have no recipe?????? There is a bakery in East Northport, that does them really, really well. I think I was charged $2 a cookie!!! I too am in search of a recipe. Please keep me posted. TU
Old 03-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #24
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Sicily View Post
I can't believe I did it, but all they could say was no...and they did. A friend of mine made aquaintance with someone who recently visited my nearby hometown (babylon NY). She had been to Massapequa NY and went with friends to San Remo Bakery. When I showed her the picture she remembered seeing them there. Got their number and called to pursued them into giving up the recipe, or at least possibly shipping the goods! But they don't ship either. Anyway the cookie is not Saviordi or Lady fingers (that we know) and it is pronounced : "Sa" "Vee" "Ah" "Dee"...but they don't know how to spell it either. Every search comes up dead end...saviatte, saviadi, etc. Anyway it's the best kept secret ever! And why many bakeries stopped making it, no one knows. It is not the most spectacular cookie ever, but it is one that holds many memories for many that grew up in the area. Probably because when really young and teething, that was the first cookie that was safe to eat. I don't know but I want some....well I really want to be able to make them before my new grandson starts teething....please help he's already 3 months old !!!!!
Try spelling it "SAVOIARDI." See what that brings up.

Okay, I just googled it for you and got this recipe. Click on "this recipe."

BTW, in Italian, you pronounce every single vowel, and so the pronunciation is "Sav-Oy-Are-Dee."
Old 03-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #25
Sous Chef

(((June)) Saviodori an Saviatta/Shavolette are not the same cookie. Saviodori is much softer- like a lady finger and blander in taste.Saviatta/shavolettes ( I don't knw how to spell either correctly!!!)are a much crisper cookie and wider in shape than a saviodori. That was so sweet of you to search it!!!Love and energy, Vicki
Old 03-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

vicki, have you ever looked at a type of cookie called "the bones of the dead", or ossa di morto?

it's a fairly crisp, butter and almond cookie that is pretty standard in italy, and therefore may have many localized names.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #27
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiQ View Post
(((June)) Saviodori an Saviatta/Shavolette are not the same cookie. Saviodori is much softer- like a lady finger and blander in taste.Saviatta/shavolettes ( I don't knw how to spell either correctly!!!)are a much crisper cookie and wider in shape than a saviodori. That was so sweet of you to search it!!!Love and energy, Vicki
Vicki, the only Savoiardi I have ever seen/eaten/used for Tiramisu are crisp when you open the package. I just spelled it correctly. They absorb the liquid you use in your recipe, then they're soft. I have no idea what Saviatta or shavolettes are. I lived in the North End of Boston, and baked with one of the masters there, so maybe those go by a different name in his region of Italy?

Here's the link to my favorite shop for Italian Specialty items, and their Savoiardi. Note the description!
Old 03-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #28
Sous Chef

(June) Maybe it's a New York thing or even a sicilian thing but, growing up we always had both the savadori and the (what my family called) shavalette or (other families called) saviata and they were two distinctly different cookies.The savadori were definitely used in other desserts such as tiramisu but, the other cookies were always served with the Reginas and s cookies and other butter cookies.When I come across them again I will get your address and FedEx you some!!!You will see what the big fuss is over!!!!Love and energy, Vicki
Old 03-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Thank you Bucky- it's worth a shot.BTW it's been a long time since we've chatted- I hope all is well with you and yours and thanks again for the info.Love and energy, Vicki
Old 03-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

all's well here vicki, thanks. hope the same goes for you and the rest of the succotashes.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, new york city, nyc