"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings
Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Bucky, if it is green it is Yuk, so much so that not only I do not like vegies, I do not like clothe if they are green, I would not go out with my wife if she wears a green dress and so on and so forth.

In all the truth you are correct I have not tried all of them. I am talking about common types of lettuce sold in the stores. Have to admit though I do eat baby greens salad mixture. Not that I really like it but with plenty of bread crumbs and good vinaigrette it is edible.
Charlie, I understand your extreme dislike for green things. I'm willing to help. Send me all the paper money you have that's green on the back.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
Master Chef
Andy, what's Paper Money, I would like to see some, I have heard of them from older people, but do not see them, at least not in my walet. Now at this point I do not know if to cry or to laugh.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by megan87 View Post
Ok my husband hates salads....I love salads..... (see the issue...)

I need some ideas of how to get him to eat more salad. He hates anything green and when ever I make salad ( I load his up with either chicken or beef, bacon and crutons) he acts like a little kids making faces at the lettuce (yes its funny but dont tell him I said that lol) Do you have any tricks that could help me? I love a good roman, carrots, cucumber, cabbage salad.

Thanks in advance.
I'd follow Andy's advice. My table is set like so...after setting it with the dinner service,knives and forks, I put on the food,there is a veggie salad of some sort I too am a salad lover and have some almost every night, I really love summer when I can make a salad of herbs,fresh garden heirloom tomatoes, baby cucumbers and a nice lemon evoo, dressing, I just set the salad on the table,next the meat or chicken, veggie, bread or rolls dessert sometimes or just ice cream later. But the foods are there eat them or not your choice, if you decide to not eat something don't expect me to make you something else. there it is take it or leave it. If the doctor said to do such and such he would be wise to follow directions. Hope we have helped you a little. Life can be hard so eat well and healthy as you can.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
Head Chef
Take a look through the Salad & Vegetable threads here. There are lots of ideas.

I enjoy a salad on warm pizza dough i.e. Caesar or chicken caesar salad, or shrimp salad. The warm dough makes a nice conrast to the fresh, crisp, cool salad greens.

Or, Caesar Salad on a Stick
Caesar Salad on a Stick - Chef's Resources
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #15
Master Chef
At some point you have to say, "Screw it" and forget it. If he won't eat anything healthy, well, you knew that when you married him, just make sure you have a good life insurance policy on him and carry on. Don't make yourself, and him, miserable over the issue. Continue to eat healthy yourself, and instead of nagging and convincing and .... you get the picture, just pay on that life insurance policy and smirk to yourself.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Leave the man alone. He is an adult. He is capable of making his own decisions. You are only his wife. Not his keeper. And like Claire said, "Pay those premiums on his life insurance."

Our taste buds are constantly changing. Foods that I hated as a child, are now some of my favorites. Who doesn't like chocolate ice cream? I loved it as a child. Today I can't stand the taste of it. I hated broccoli as a child. Today, give me a big bowl of it steamed with plenty of butter or Ranch dressing on it, and I will clean it up in no time. Many years ago I lived n fried egg sandwiches. Today, I have to throw out eggs that are at least a couple of months old. And I can't stand to eat bread. Just continue to make a salad for yourself. In fact, only make enough for one.

Be creative. Find ways to hide veggies in other foods. Diced really small, you can hide celery and onions or chives in potato salad. Casseroles are a great place to start. Don't make a fuss about it. Just do it quietly.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #17
Sous Chef
Ok, here's what I do. I make lots of little salad dishes and you will be surprised how salad Haters suddenly want a 'bit of this, a bit of that'
Fresh beetroot and orange segments together in one bowl then;
Tomato and Mozzarella slices
Diced cucumber in minty yogurt dressing
potato salad
pasta with mixed herb olive oil dressing
Feta cheese with pomegranate ( delicious) you get the idea, good luck
Celtic cook

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Charlie, I understand your extreme dislike for green things. I'm willing to help. Send me all the paper money you have that's green on the back.
Kinda reminds me of a song...

1rst voice - "If I had a million dollars"
2nd voice - "If I had a million dollars"
1rst voice - "I'd buy you a green dress"
2nd voice - "But not a real green dress, that's cruel"
Lyrics written and sung by "Bare Naked Ladies"

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #19
Hospitality Queen
I think the best way to get anyone to eat anything healthy is to do one of two things:

1. Let them see the results that have happened to you, personally (weight loss or better distribution; better energy level; happier all around attitude

2. Give them articles to read about how good produce affects the body, and how a lack of veggies can hurt oneself

It's a tough thing, but I like how you're asking opinions - shows you really care about your man :)
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #20

Originally Posted by megan87 View Post
Sigh.... guys are big babies some times... I tried doing tomato and mozzarella salad but he just ate the cheese.
Perhaps he doesn't like to be treated like a baby. Do him the courtesy of letting him do what you do, choosing what he does or does not want to eat. Vegetables are a healthy part of our diet, but the diets of some peoples, like the Inuit or Zulu, show that they are not irreplaceable. Perhaps, if you took up eating seal blubber or sour milk and maize meal, he would follow suit.

PhilinYuma is offline   Reply With Quote