"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Anyone ever heard of this app? My cousin sent out an invite for Thanksgiving, sounds like a great idea, everyone signs up for whatever they're going to bring.

Perfect Potluck | a free online tool for coordinating meals for groups

Old 10-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I haven't heard of it before but it sounds great. I'm going to send it to the VP of the master gardener association, since we have monthly potluck meetings. And also to the civic league; this group also has occasional potlucks. Thanks for mentioning it!

Old 10-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Yes I've heard of and taken part in pot luck for large gatherings at meal time especially for large families. It's almost the common sense thing to do since it takes the load off the person hosting the event.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
Yes I've heard of and taken part in pot luck for large gatherings at meal time especially for large families. It's almost the common sense thing to do since it takes the load off the person hosting the event.
Oldvine, I think the question was about the online application to help with organizing potlucks
Old 10-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Master Chef

It sounds like it might be a good idea for a large group, but if a friend or family member sent it to me I think I might be busy that day.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
It sounds like it might be a good idea for a large group, but if a friend or family member sent it to me I think I might be busy that day.
Yes, Pot lucks only work if they are carefully planned and organised. I once went to a pot luck where there were 10 platters of cold sausage rolls and nothing else!
Old 10-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
Sous Chef

To clarify, yes pot lucks are great. I've attended and brought food to pot lucks with 150 people attending and I've attended a couple pot lucks where there were 6 of us.

I am not a fan of assigned dishes. If a committee takes care of the main dish, meat and maybe the dessert, then let people bring their favorite pot luck dish. 50 cooks can make potato salad and no two will be alike. Who needs the extra work of working on pre-planned food. With my rotten luck I always ended up with a time consuming or expensive dish assigned to me...."Bring a cake.... decorated".

If it's pot luck, what's in the pot is what your are lucky to get. But sticking to my favorite rule, it's each person's kitchen, they are the boss and if they want to assign or have sign ups for dishes, go for it.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I signed up to make bread stuffing (the old-fashioned, nonfrou-frou stuffing, simply bread cubes, herbs, onions and celery, broth and lots of butter, the way Grandma made it) and wine. So far nobody has signed up for the turkey. Might make for an interesting menu. Cousin's DH's side of the family apparently contains a lot of vegetarians, and last year's T'giving meal at their house was, um, interesting. Tofurkey, anyone? I think we're traveling the furthest, the rest all live around the same area.