"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 01-29-2006, 12:38 AM   #1
Master Chef

When is it a party?

My husband tells everyone I've thrown a party when I've just had a couple of friends over .... This Friday I made Indian food for six of us, and it was a huge hit. My question for all of you is when do you call it a party? Hubby definitely called "tiffin" a party, I'd have just said is was freinds getting togehter. What is your definition??

Old 01-29-2006, 12:57 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

i think 2 to 3 other couples would be a small get together, as couples. but any more does start to represent a party, imo.

'bugs answer is "when she gets there..."

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

heh, heh, heh - bucky, you are such a mind reader.

I'd say it depends....

-when our friends B & K come over, it's always a party with just the four of us. (In fact, that's how our annual New Year's Day bash got launched.)

-definitely not a party when you invite the neighbors to listen to a stranger tell about Tupperware, Pampered Chef, Southern Living, etc. - even tho these gatherings are called parties

-when 2 or 3 couples go to buckytom and dw's for dinner, they are likely to have a lovely 3- to 4-course meal and discourse on the events of the day. When bt puts the lampshade on his head and starts singing auld Irish ballads, then it turns into a party.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Well, according to Mindy McCready (sp?) t'aint a party 'til the girls arrive . . . . .
Old 01-29-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
Well, according to Mindy McCready (sp?) t'aint a party 'til the girls arrive . . . . .

If I have a party, it consist of about 10 or more people, a cookout, beer, liquor and music
Don't know much about "Formal" stuff though.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:29 AM   #6
Master Chef

Mudbug, thank you for agreeing that it isn't a party when someone (I hate to say it, but usually a woman) invites you over to sell you stuff. It is my pet peeve. I wouldn't mind going to a so-called party to sell me ##** if they'd have at least once in the time they've known me invited me over for a cup of tea, at least. But I have them over for meals, cocktails, brunch, etc, and some of them think it is the same thing when they invite me over to sell me cr-p. I'd rather be invited over for a glass of kool-aid than for "wine, cheese, and jewelry" (the latest). Or plastic wear, or gourmet cookwear. Being sold something is not entertainment.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I think 10 or more turns it into more of a party.

A group of girlfriends come round to my home for a gossip and afternoon tea (they hate to bake or cook, I love it, so it's my home every time nowadays!) - the number is fluid, depending on availability - anything from 4 - 10... It starts with tea, cakes, crumpets etc - and then miraculously seems to morph into a couple of 'drinks' after the sun goes over the yard-arm (a guess in Scotland for nearly 5 months of the year!) We call ourselves the Coven - and death and sickness are two of the only legitimate excuses for not turning up - because the threat is that if you don't.... YOU'LL be one of the items of gossip!

I have only ONCE attended any of those franchise parties - it was as a favour to my nextdoor neighbour when she moved into the road and wanted to make 'friends'... NEVER AGAIN. If I want plastic ware, I'll go to a store, I don't like to feel pressured to buy things like that...
Old 02-20-2006, 07:45 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Parties...I think.. it's not the number of people but the activities.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:26 AM   #9
Master Chef

Well - "a" party, as defined in the dictionary in this context, is just a social gathering - no specific (minimum or maximum) number of persons required.

I must admit that back in the '70's when I lived on a river and had a canoe, I could have a nice party of one.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:46 AM   #10
Contest Winner

If there is music and "beverages" involved (of the sparkling variety... hehe) then it's a party, IMO.