Apple Squares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I got this recipe from my sister. It's really easy to make and delicious. I like it better than crisps as the dried oatmeal topping on crisps has always turned me off. Try it, you'll like it. I recommend you try it with McIntosh apples and walnuts before you think about substitutions.

Apple Squares

130 g Flour (1 C)
240 g Sugar (1¼ C)
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Cinnamon
Pinch Nutmeg
2 tsp Baking Powder
¾ C Chopped Walnuts (no subs.)
3 Macintosh Apples, diced
2 Eggs

Preheat the oven to 375º F.

Grease a 8”x8” pan.

Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.

Peel and dice the apples and add them to the dry ingredients.

When ready to bake, add the eggs and mix thoroughly.

Place the mixture in the pan and even off the top.

Bake for 40-45 minutes.

Cool and cut into squares.

Serve with vanilla ice cream.

This sounds good, bet it would be great with the apples from my extremely prolific tree. They're sweet/tart, of an unknown variety.

I made this today. Very good, and so easy.

We're having a big family and friend get together this weekend, and one of my sons-in-law loves anything apple. I always try to include an apple dish for him. This will be on the menu for this weekend, I'm sure it will be a hit with everyone.

Thank you for sharing your sister's recipe, Andy. It's delicious.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:
I got this recipe from my sister. It's really easy to make and delicious. I like it better than crisps as the dried oatmeal topping on crisps has always turned me off. Try it, you'll like it. I recommend you try it with McIntosh apples and walnuts before you think about substitutions.

Apple Squares

130 g Flour (1 C)
240 g Sugar (1¼ C)
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Cinnamon
Pinch Nutmeg
2 tsp Baking Powder
¾ C Chopped Walnuts (no subs.)
3 Macintosh Apples, diced
2 Eggs

Preheat the oven to 375º F.

Grease a 8”x8” pan.

Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.

Peel and dice the apples and add them to the dry ingredients.

When ready to bake, add the eggs and mix thoroughly.

Place the mixture in the pan and even off the top.

Bake for 40-45 minutes.

Cool and cut into squares.

Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Hi ya Andy!
I'm planning on making this recipe on Friday to take to Gal Pals Cards Afternoon.
2 Macintosh Apples, diced equals how many cups do you think?

I did a Copy Me That for your recipe Andy, which it did - and it also picked up Cheryl's picture for it. :LOL:

Thanks for reviving this Kgirl - I'll try one for tomorrow although I'm not sure what type of apples are in the bin.

IMHO I rather think, especially if Andy chose big apples, that each would be almost a cup. Do you have some other fruit you could throw in?

I know it would change the whole flavour profile but I would think some pear or plums would go great.

Well, it's 3 apples and I don't know. I try to select the bigger apples in the bin.

Oops, I guess I really should put my glasses on :LOL: sorry

I got two large Apples, about 3 1/2 inches across.
They didn't have Macintosh, what I found was a new-to-me variety, Cosmic.
They're quite heavy for their size, 3/4 pound each :ohmy:

I've made your sister's recipe before, but it's been awhile.
I think I may take pre-portioned scoops of Vanilla Ice Cream to serve with the cake, that's the best!

Andy ~ I just made your Apple Squares and they are delicious! I didn’t change a thing and they’re perfect — so good with a little dusting of powdered sugar. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I’ll be making these squares often.
FYI: My neighbor tasted these and insisted on having the recipe. She never makes a recipe as written. So, as usual, she made a few changes — 3/4 cup light brown sugar for white sugar, pecans instead of walnuts, cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top before baking. She brought me a piece and it was good, but not as good as your recipe!!

Back
Top Bottom