"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cobblers & Crisps

Old 06-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Peach Cobbler Recipe

I have made this for the last couple of years and it is wonderful southern comfort food. It is like a big peach dumpling, not like a pie crust topped peach filling that you often see, this is how they do it in my section of the south. This yankee has warmed up to southern cobbler!

Peach Cobbler
From baking better.com

4 cups sliced peaches (fresh or frozen, about 5 med. Fresh)
cup sugar (more if peaches aren’t sweet, up to 1 cup)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

If using fresh peaches, peel and slice. Place peaches and sugar in a skillet and cook over medium heat until tender (fresh very ripe peaches will take less time to cook) about 5-10 minutes, they are done when easily pierced with a fork. Set aside.

Melt butter and place in a 2 qt. casserole dish.

Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together. Whisk in milk and vanilla to make a batter. Pour over the butter in the casserole.
Carefully spoon peaches and their syrup over the batter, you want the peaches setting on top of the batter, not sinking below.

Place in preheated oven and cook for 35-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbly. Let cool for 15-20 minutes before eating. Serve warm by itself or with some vanilla ice cream.

* if you have self rising flour you can substitute that, just omit the added baking powder and salt, they are already in the self rising flour.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Head Chef

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing the recipe & photo.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks BC this look so good. Will make one soon.
kades
Old 06-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yummy! Thanks Bakechef! I've only ever seen the really thick crust cobblers and this looks better for those of us who would like to indulge but can't handle all the carbs!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I learned about peach cobbler in Kingwood, WV, where it was made quite differently than I had ever had it anywhere else. They'd place a shortcake biscuit in the bottom of a bowl, cover it with sliced peaches, then fill the bowl with fresh cream.

Kingwood is also where I was introduced to buckwheat pancakes. They have a pancake festival every year that revolves around them.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Peach Cobbler Recipe & Photos

Buonasera Bake Chef,

Looks delightful and I can just imagine the aromas of the fresh August Aragonese Peaches ... Thanks so much for posting ... On my future to dos.

My Mom used to prepare a Blackberry one ...

Have lovely wkend.
Ciao, Margi.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Oh, YEAH!!!
Peach cobbler is hard to beat and the looks great!!
Old 06-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Thanks all!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Ohhh...yummm....
Old 06-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

that just looks wonderful. saved and will be made.

Tags
recipe

Peach Cobbler Recipe I have made this for the last couple of years and it is wonderful southern comfort food. It is like a big peach dumpling, not like a pie crust topped peach filling that you often see, this is how they do it in my section of the south. This yankee has warmed up to southern cobbler! [IMG]http://bakingbetter.com/g1/var/resizes/Baking-Better/Peach-Cobbler/SG1L0312.JPG?m=1340320576[/IMG] [IMG]http://bakingbetter.com/g1/var/resizes/Baking-Better/Peach-Cobbler/SG1L0314.JPG?m=1340320574[/IMG] Peach Cobbler From baking better.com 4 cups sliced peaches (fresh or frozen, about 5 med. Fresh) cup sugar (more if peaches aren’t sweet, up to 1 cup) 1 teaspoon lemon juice _______________________________________________ 1 cup all purpose flour * 1 teaspoons baking powder teaspoon salt 1 cup sugar 1 cup milk 1 teaspoon vanilla 1/2 cup melted butter Preheat oven to 350 degrees If using fresh peaches, peel and slice. Place peaches and sugar in a skillet and cook over medium heat until tender (fresh very ripe peaches will take less time to cook) about 5-10 minutes, they are done when easily pierced with a fork. Set aside. Melt butter and place in a 2 qt. casserole dish. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together. Whisk in milk and vanilla to make a batter. Pour over the butter in the casserole. Carefully spoon peaches and their syrup over the batter, you want the peaches setting on top of the batter, not sinking below. Place in preheated oven and cook for 35-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbly. Let cool for 15-20 minutes before eating. Serve warm by itself or with some vanilla ice cream. * if you have self rising flour you can substitute that, just omit the added baking powder and salt, they are already in the self rising flour. 3 stars 1 reviews