"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #31
Cook

Drug testing is one thing but i dont understand what the creatinine levels had to do with getting hired.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribs and steak View Post
Drug testing is one thing but i dont understand what the creatinine levels had to do with getting hired.
I think creatinine is the indicator of metabolizing protein. If the level is high, from say a high protein diet, it means there is not a lot of water and urine is very concentrated. If the level is low, then there are few indicators of protein breaking down......so the person may have diluted their urine with water (though I didn't). So basically, the test measures creatinine and indicates whether the urine sample is within the norms for urine.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #33
Sous Chef

That makes no sense to me for a drug test for a job. It's excreted in the urine as a metabolic waste. So why would you not be worthy of hire?
And if they used the excuse of "watered down urine" then they needed to order a "clean" test.
Personally, I'd have been PO'd
Old 04-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #34
Master Chef

i say drinking water is very healthy. pop & juice make me thirstier, & aren't as refreshing, though i love both.
i usually drink a pop for breakfast, then re-load my botttle several times at the water machine.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to jenniferlee
far as one, drink plenty of water will be smooth digestion, the body weight down slowly with a healthy way, makes you full, makes skin look more fresh and much more.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

I've become an expert on water. Unfortunately, that's due to ongoing health problems.

Here are some good guidelines to follow:

1) Test your water's pH. Our tap water is 6.0, which is acidic/BAD. You want your water to be as close to your blood's pH as possible. Your blood has to maintain a 7.4 pH, or it starts leaching from your bones, etc to get to that 7.4 number. If your water is not close to 7.4, you might want to consider drinking bottled water, but test it, or ask the supplier first. No sense in drinking bottled tap water.

2) Reverse osmosis systems are good, but they remove all the minerals, etc out of your water, so will actually make your water MORE acidic. One reverse osmosis system engineer told me that reverse osmosis water can be as acidic as 4.0. So if you have an RO system, make sure you add the proper alkaline minerals back in.

3) You "should" drink half your body weight in water every day. In other words, if you weigh 160lbs, you should try to drink 4 20-ounce glasses of water per day; if you weigh 120lbs, you only need to drink 3 20-ounce glasses of water per day.

4) Avoid drinking large amounts of water with meals. A lot of diets advocate that you drink a large glass of water before a meal. However, water dilutes the stomach's hydrochloric acid, and drinking water right before a meal reduces your body's ability to digest your food. Digesting your food properly is very important. Failure to do so causes all kinds of problems, and leads to chronic illnesses.

Hope that helps someone.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #37
Head Chef

When you recommend drinking half your body weight in water every day, you apparently mean half as many OUNCES of water as your weight in pounds. That is, for example, if you weigh 160 pounds, drink 80 fluid ounces (10 cups) of water per day, not 80 pounds of water, which would be more than 11 gallons (water weighs slightly more than 7 pounds per gallon). Big difference!

I point this out because there is such a thing as "water poisoning," also known as water intoxication or hyper-hydration, which can be deadly. CLICK ME

That said, I agree that drinking sufficient water is one of the best things most people can do for their health. However, I was not aware of the pH issue -- thanks for that.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

Yes, thanks for that clarification. As the examples would indicate, that is in ounces of water; not pounds.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #39
Head Chef

I Googled my local water company, went to their website, and found the most recent (2008) water quality report. The report includes an incredible amount of information about what's in our water, everything from minerals to the level of radioactivity. It shows that the pH of our water is somewhere between 7.3 and 8.4, although the exact figure is not available since the water we receive is a mix of local ground water (pH = 7.3) and purchased surface water (8.0 - 8.4, average 8.2), and the mix apparently varies throughout the year.

If you're interested in what's in your water, check and see if your local water company provides similar information.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

Mayby more safe then bottled water

If you have the time alton brown did a 2 part series on water in the US. He gives a good breakdown as to why its safe, and how our water system can possibly let baddies through.