"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-18-2015, 09:27 PM   #1
Cupcake

Low-Carbing with the Keto-Team

I wish there was a place to put "finds" for those who have been striving for a high-fat, low carb diet. I'm constantly seeking ways to make new items and I am still struggling to get enough fat in the diet.

My two best finds have been to use pork rinds as a breading on pork chops and mashed cauliflower.

For the breading, I crushed the pork rinds using my small food processor. I fried the pork chops in bacon grease. It was satisfying and really good EXCEPT...the pork chops were a bit thick and I had to finish them in the oven so the crust lost a bit of its crunch. However it was tasty even to the person who does not like pork rinds. I think I am going to try fish next.

The mashed cauliflower has been terrific! I nuke mine in a covered bowl for 10 to 12 minutes (until it is very done.) Then I put it in the food processor with whatever else I will blend up with it.

- cream cheese, butter, a bit of heavy cream, salt & pepper = creamy and very mashed potato-like.
- dill, sour cream, cream cheese, and garlic were tasty.
- my friend loves cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, and butter.
- I think I will try bacon bits and cheese soon...maybe even sprinkle some diced green onion.

I find the mashed cauliflower heats well, but it has a bit of a cauliflower smell when reheated.

I'm curious what others have found.

~Kathleen

Old 02-19-2015, 12:39 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Homemade Mayonnaise and salad dressings. I've been making all my salads out of cabbage.

Bragg's salad dressings have EVOO in them. Watch the labels on dressings from the natural grocers...they have soy bean oil which causes inflammation.

Costco's Kirkland brand Pesto is excellent and a quick way to change up meals.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:20 AM   #3
Master Chef

Breading is still something I'm working on. Seasoned breadcrumbs are the last high carb item in my pantry, they are on the way out!
Try using a combination of ground almonds or other nuts and Romano cheese as a replacement for all or part of the breadcrumbs. The other strategy I use is to simply use less or "seek the minimum". It has taken me a long, long time to gradually reduce or eliminate breading from various recipes.

I have gradually moved away from topping casseroles with breadcrumbs, crushed potato chips, onion rings etc... I scatter a few slivered almonds on top for a little crunch, visual interest and a touch of luxury.

A splash of heavy cream in various dishes has helped me move away from the cream sauce or mushroom soup found in many recipes.

I'm also a big fan of mashed cauliflower. I mash it with a slice or two of American processed cheese, butter and a little heavy cream. The texture reminds me of a twice baked potato. I chop steamed cauliflower and use it as a rice substitute. I fry the leftover "rice" as a substitute for hash browns.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I guess I should buy a ricer.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
Wine Guy

My most recent keto "find" doesn't involve food at all, but rather the lack of it.

For the last few weeks, I've been experimenting with a technique known as intermittent fasting (or IF) which is described in several keto resources, where you rely entirely on fat stores to provide fuel, rather than dietary fat.

Today I'm on the second day of a fast that began Tuesday evening. Weirdly, I don't feel much hunger at all. In fact I feel great, and was even able to go for a workout yesterday afternoon. I guess this is one of the advantages of being fully adapted to burning ketones instead of glucose derived from carbohydrates. Six months ago I wouldn't have been able to go without food for more than 12 hours at most.

The only "food" I've consumed has been coffee with cream in the morning, and just water for the remainder of the day. Tonight I plan on having a real dinner.

This has also (not surprisingly) brought my blood sugar down considerably. Yesterday it was in the low to mid 70s most of the day. When I got up this morning it was 79. Normally my BG is always around 90 in the morning. I'll continue to check it throughout the day to make sure it doesn't drop too low.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Stumbled across this recipe and thought of the Keto Team:

Cauliflower Steak with Pine Nuts and Preserved Lemon | The Daily Meal
Old 02-19-2015, 12:08 PM   #7
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Stumbled across this recipe and thought of the Keto Team:

Cauliflower Steak with Pine Nuts and Preserved Lemon | The Daily Meal
CWS, that recipe looks tasty and I do appreciate you thinking of us but, according to the nutritional data shown, the carbs are a whopping 123 grams (although I wonder if that total is for the entire recipe or per serving).

Keep in mind that a ketogenic diet typically allows for no more than 40 grams of carbohydrates per day. My own total daily carb intake is normally anywhere from 10 to 20 grams.

The fat levels look good, though.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
CWS, that recipe looks tasty and I do appreciate you thinking of us but, according to the nutritional data shown, the carbs are a whopping 123 grams (although I wonder if that total is for the entire recipe or per serving).

Keep in mind that a ketogenic diet typically allows for no more than 40 grams of carbohydrates per day. My own total daily carb intake is normally anywhere from 10 to 20 grams.

The fat levels look good, though.
I was wondering if you left out the nuts what the carbs would be...
Old 02-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I was wondering if you left out the nuts what the carbs would be...
The pine nuts don't look that bad, but the honey would definitely have to go.

I'm trying to figure out where they are coming up with their totals in that recipe, because it doesn't seem to add up. I'm thinking that it has to be the totals for the entire recipe.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
The pine nuts don't look that bad, but the honey would definitely have to go.

I'm trying to figure out where they are coming up with their totals in that recipe, because it doesn't seem to add up. I'm thinking that it has to be the totals for the entire recipe.
That was my thought. I was thinking that you guys could take the method of making the cauliflower "steak" and make it a Keto-friendly recipe. Looking forward to how you guys make it Keto-friendly. .