"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 12-05-2005, 08:36 PM   #11
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Robin
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will pass all this along to hubby. Thanks for the book suggestion. We really do not know a whole lot about his condition so we've been doing searches online to find out exactly what is up.

I find it interesting that you had a heart attack several times and didn't know it? I wonder if that has happened with me and hubby. Every now and again we get a pinching pain in our chest but it goes away quickly.
We learned that when my father passed away. He had a massive heart attack. When he was in the hospital thae dr told Mom that he had at least one heart attack before that one, which none of us knew about. The dr called them "silent" heart attacks because the person doesn't usually go gor treatment because the pain goes away, but damage is done.

Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back.--unknown, at least to me
purrfectlydevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:53 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
Thumbs up high cholestrol

high cholestrol runs in my family. my doctor suggested Niacin, which caused flushing but I decided to take it at night before I go to bed with a small snack this way I won't feel the unpleasant flushing. It Worked.

As far as diet, for breakfast my biggest meal of the day, I eat oatmeal with 1 TBS ground flax seeds, a handful of raw almonds, couple plums & 2 apricots,a cup of fresh frozen blueberries, a banana & soy milk. The last blood test showed my HDL skyrocketing to 142, the lab rechecked it, my doctor didn't believe & I didn't think there is such levels any one can reach. I've been eating this for 10 years. I also never eat any fried food, hardly any meat, I do eat chicken breasts & also fish. I excercise 3x week at the Gym, cardio & resistance weights. I feel energetic throughout the day. FLAX & ALMONDS do raise HDL levels.
I hope this information is helpful. Good Luck

Nesrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:58 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
Do try beans and some meatless meals.....

you can find so many meatless main dish recipes now everywhere...fish is great, chicken too, without the skin, but you might want to try a meatless dinner once a week and then work up to 2 or 3. There's a recipe using black beans and polenta at Epicurious that is absolutely delicious..(calls for cream...just sub whole milk or low-fat sour cream)...
valnaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 06:15 AM   #14
I know this sounds wrong to a lot of people but eating eggs is a great way to lower your cholesterol. Not only are they fairly low in calories but they have shown to help lower blood cholesterol in many patients. Yes, eggs are high in cholesterol but they are also very high in nutrients.

One of the reasons I'm picking out eggs specifically is because I have seen them benefit many people with high cholesterol, including my father and a good friend who suffered a major heart attack losing 32% functionality of his heart. My father was told by his doctor that his cholesterol was way too high and he really needed to change his diet. In short, by advice of a couple of nutritionists, he greatly increased his egg consumption to 2-4 eggs per day. After a couple months he went back in to get his cholesterol levels checked and his doctor couldn't believe how far it had dropped and asked what he was doing differently, he didn't believe my Dad when he told him about the eggs...

Anyway, there are a lot of doctors who have discussed this point at length who can illustrate how beneficial eggs actually are to reducing and controlling cholesterol a lot better than I can!

"As many members pointed out, together with liver, kidney and prawns, eggs do contain more dietary cholesterol than many other foods. It was for this reason that past advice focussed on limiting intakes of these foods if you had high blood cholesterol. And as eggs tend to be eaten more frequently than liver, kidney or prawns, they were particularly thrown into the spotlight when it came to advising people to cut down on cholesterol-containing foods.

However, thanks to more recent research, we now know the cholesterol in food has little effect on our blood cholesterol levels. What really affects blood cholesterol is the amount of saturated fat we eat. This means if you need to lower your cholesterol, the most important thing you can do is cut down on the amount of foods you eat that contain saturates, such as fatty meats, full-fat milk, butter, lard, cream, pastry, cakes and biscuits. Eating more fruit, vegetables and foods such as oats and pulses, which contain a type of fibre called soluble fibre can also help to lower cholesterol.

Thanks to this newfound knowledge, the Food Standards Agency doesn’t recommend limiting the number of eggs you eat, unless your GP or a dietitian has specifically advised you to do this. This is great news for slimmers as eggs contain just 85 calories each but are packed with nutrients including protein, zinc, iron, iodine and vitamins A, D, E and some B vitamins..."
-Link to full article

More Links:
http://www.enc-online.org/views.htm <--very interesting read
amcardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:57 AM   #15
Executive Chef
one can eat well and loose weight and lower colesterol. whole grains and oatmeal, brown rice, skimmed milk, go easy on the cheese, substitute olive oil for butter whenever possible, add lots of greens to your diet etc.

develop an interest in cultures and foods and it won't be a diet at all but an adventure! Enjoy.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:24 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
well said robo, thanks.

and thanks to all of the posters for all of the good info supplied here on this thread. some i knew, but i've also learned a lot.
this is obviously a very important subject considering the size of all the replies.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:32 AM   #17
Senior Cook
I read on the American Heart association website that one egg a day is recommended. SO that is what hubby is allowed to get. HOwever he has ate three before because he was good all week....

He's sort of got this be good and the weekend be a "little" bad routine going.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:13 AM   #18
Assistant Cook
Just what good is cholestrol; what role does it play? Is cholestrol absolutely unwanted by the body?
anticuchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:20 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by anticuchos
Just what good is cholestrol; what role does it play? Is cholestrol absolutely unwanted by the body?

You have to believe it's there for a reason. Here's one:

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:42 AM   #20
Master Chef
cholesterol is a human hormon produced in the liver... and it IS needed by the body!!
I could explain a lot, but I must admit, it's too difficult to translate into english.
But I'm sure you find enough infos within one of all the links posted here...

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote