This is what good nutrition will get you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps my attitude could benefit from some adjustment, and I'll look into that. However, my great shape and conditioning, on which you've commented, are a direct result of refusing to believe everything I'm told by people who supposedly know what they're doing.

Physicians don't want everyone to be COMPLETELY healthy. Physicians would quickly go broke if everyone learned to keep themselves healthy.

That's incredibly insulting to the people who have incurable diseases. They do exist.

Whilst orthodox medicine has its place e.g. surgery and certain drugs to stabilise some advanced conditions, there are a growing number of people seeking out alternative health remedies. Whilst it can be hit and miss to treat yourself via natural supplements, your own diet and exercise (depending on gleaned info and the ability to assess self), there are also officially recognised/qualified practises like naturopaths who treat the whole of the person.

Medications often have long lists of side effects.
Antibiotics are overprescribed and many are experiencing the side effects of these. If there was a reliable alternative to taking a tablet for high blood pressure I would certainly be doing that. (I have researched this and, whilst certain foods, e.g. beetroot is beneficial there is no reliable way of receiving a standardised quantity of it). One of the symptoms of high blood pressure is dizziness.....guess what the listed side effect of the drug that I take for this has...yes, dizziness!
780422031.gif

My mother would not have had a stroke had she been taken off of Viox (an analgesic) in time. It had been linked to strokes in US and was taken off of the shelves. My mother's GP, here in UK, stopped the viox but not in time. Although my mother was a strong, workaholic, she subsequently had a stroke. I am hugely resentful and angry about this. This is just one story....of which there are countless others concerning malpractice and their casualties.

Last edited:
Part of my reason for saying that is to point out that for some illnesses, medication is necessary - even life-saving. Sometimes the body doesn't work right and diet has nothing to do with it.

Such as ancestors and inheritance. Some are born with problems that are not found early on. Such as a defective heart or other organ. Some are caused by childhood diseases such as measles, shingles. There are a lot of health problems we have no control over and must turn to medicine. :angel:

All I can say is you people are seeing the wrong doctors. There's always a risk-benefit analysis to be done when considering any medication. Good doctors do try to treat a disease rather than symptoms. Not everything can be cured, though. That's just how life is.

I worked at Wyeth Pharmaceutical for three years. My job was to keep track of the results of field studies on new drugs being tested. Every so often I would be notified that a drug was being discontinued immediately and to prepare all the paper work and patients' records for FDA. The new drug had killed too many patients in the study. Yet looking at the results of other drugs being studied, they were highly successful and patients in the study were doing well. Very few adverse effects.

When my daughter was diagnosed with brain cancer, the prognosis for the type she had was Negative. One year to 18 months to live. Certain death. Today because of the new drugs that have come on the market, she is in remission and the tumor is now no bigger than her little fingernail. If she had tried to perform self treatment or some other path than today's medicine she would be dead today. Each time she goes for her MRI, the tumor is shrinking now on its own, although still cancerous. Within the coming year, the tumor is expected to be totally gone and she can be declared cancer free.

Where would she be today without the doctors and the medicine that destroys vile diseases? Where should she have gone to rid herself of this hideous disease? If not doctors and medicine, then where? :angel:

A friend spoke with a gentleman who was both a doctor of traditional Chinese medicine and an M.D. in western medicine. His opinion was that western medicine was great for trauma and acute problems while Chinese medicine was usually better for systemic problems.

Maybe if we adopted a compensation plan for doctors that was used in parts of China in the past, it would be better. The doctor gets paid as long as the patient is healthy and follows the doctor's recommendations. The doctor has to treat the patient for free when they get sick.

taxy, decades ago the "MD" medical community looked down on the "DO" community. Even though Doctors of Osteopathy go through the same years of training and field work, DOs were viewed as less-qualified. My Mom had an Osteopathic GP when I was born. That's right, "GP". Few Osteopaths went into specialties. They really were early to the holistic approach to medicine if MDs refer to DOs.

Fast forward to a few years ago. When I went to my Internist (an MD) for my annual, he had to refer me to an OB-GYN since he didn't check lady parts. ;) The OB turned out to be a DO. There just might be hope for all doctors to approach medicine with an open mind to a little of East-Meets-West.

...Antibiotics are overprescribed and many are experiencing the side effects of these....
Thanks in part to so many running to their doctors and demanding to be given antibiotics whether it treats the patient's illness or not. There is one thing to be said for getting them to treat a cold, for which they do no good, and another to treat a tick bite that develops into Lyme disease. When our kids were little our doctor always weighed the pluses and minuses of antibiotics and didn't order them routinely. I was fine with that. However, I was also very glad when they were given to Himself when he contracted Lyme disease and they cured him. In over ten years he has shown absolutely no damage from the disease because it was caught and treated in time.

I have spent the last decade working in hospitals and this has been the biggest problem. Infections. Things are becoming more and more resilient to antibiotics for several reasons.

Reason one: Incomplete use of medication. Many people feel better before the virus is completely destroyed by the antibiotic, so they do not finish it. This leaves some of the stronger cells there and they have information about that antibiotic. They are able to evolve to be resistant to it.

Reason two, as Cooking Goddess mentions, they are overused. Why on Earth are people in their mid-20's coming to the hospital with c. diff.? The good bacteria in their intestines are wiped out by antibiotics. Pro tip: sauerkraut and other fermented foods will help this.

Know what I do? I don't wash my hands (with the exception of being visibly soiled, leaving work to go home or before/during food prep and cooking). I have an immune system. I give it what it needs to work: Food and something to practice on.

I've said, modern medicine has it's place, but other things need to be looked at as well. Modern medicine can cure cancer (I believe numbers here can be skewed because to be "cured" you simply have to make it five years without it coming back), but we should be asking what is the cause, not what is the cure. Stop it BEFORE it happens. And before people lose their minds on me, I know some cancer is more hereditary, but I still believe that it is all preventable, especially with a good diet.

I have spent the last decade working in hospitals and this has been the biggest problem. Infections. Things are becoming more and more resilient to antibiotics for several reasons.

I believe you mean "resistant" not "resilient".

Reason one: Incomplete use of medication. Many people feel better before the virus is completely destroyed by the antibiotic, so they do not finish it. This leaves some of the stronger cells there and they have information about that antibiotic. They are able to evolve to be resistant to it.

Viruses are NOT treatable with antibiotics, you must be treated with anti-virals. Bacterial infections are treated with antibiotics.

Reason two, as Cooking Goddess mentions, they are overused. Why on Earth are people in their mid-20's coming to the hospital with c. diff.? The good bacteria in their intestines are wiped out by antibiotics. Pro tip: sauerkraut and other fermented foods will help this.

Know what I do? I don't wash my hands (with the exception of being visibly soiled, leaving work to go home or before/during food prep and cooking). I have an immune system. I give it what it needs to work: Food and something to practice on.

I truly hope you are washing your hands in between patients, if not...you are the cause for nosocomial infections in the hospital setting.

I've said, modern medicine has it's place, but other things need to be looked at as well. Modern medicine can cure cancer (I believe numbers here can be skewed because to be "cured" you simply have to make it five years without it coming back), but we should be asking what is the cause, not what is the cure. Stop it BEFORE it happens. And before people lose their minds on me, I know some cancer is more hereditary, but I still believe that it is all preventable, especially with a good diet.

You can look for the cause of cancer all you want, but once you have cancer...you will want a cure, how do I know this? I have had ovarian and breast cancer and it has been cured and that's all I cared about.

:ermm: Please do not offer to shake my hand for any reason when you exit a restroom. :angel:

The numbers have changed.

Do you not consider ones inherited genes playing a part at all in cancer? Her father had the gene for her brain cancer. I do not. Could her cancer have been prevented? You tell me. It is your theory. Yes, we were both tested. Just saying. :angel:

Know what I do? I don't wash my hands (with the exception of being visibly soiled, leaving work to go home or before/during food prep and cooking). .

So you work in a hospital and only wash your hands when you are leaving to go home?

And you're proud of that?

I have spent the last decade working in hospitals.....

Know what I do? I don't wash my hands (with the exception of being visibly soiled, leaving work to go home or before/during food prep and cooking).

It'd be interesting to know what your supervisor thinks about your practices (or lack thereof) since most hospitals have hand washing protocols in place.

It'd be interesting to know what your supervisor thinks about your practices (or lack thereof) since most hospitals have hand washing protocols in place.

No kidding. The hospitals I've been in have signs in the rooms saying that if patients or family members don't see medical staff wash their hands - there are sinks in every room - we should ask them when was the last time they did so.

Infection control is a huge priority in hospitals these days.

No kidding. The hospitals I've been in have signs in the rooms saying that if patients or family members don't see medical staff wash their hands - there are sinks in every room - we should ask them when was the last time they did so.

Infection control is a huge priority in hospitals these days.

Yay, if this person thinks that they have built their immune system up, but there are likely people there who have very weak/compromised immune systems and poor sanitation puts their lives at risk. That's a horrific thought.

Yay, if this person thinks that they have built their immune system up, but there are likely people there who have very weak/compromised immune systems and poor sanitation puts their lives at risk. That's a horrific thought.

+1000

I understood this, "Know what I do? I don't wash my hands (with the exception of being visibly soiled, leaving work to go home or before/during food prep and cooking)." As meaning that he didn't wash his hands unless they looked soiled, after he leaves work. I don't see that it means he doesn't wash his hands while he is working.

The problem is that you can spread invisible germs throughout the hospital by not washing your hands regularly. He doesn't say what he does for a living, but if he's going from patient to nurse's station to patient to supply closet, etc., he's spreading germs all over the place. People who are sick are more susceptible to infection. It's irresponsible, and probably violates policy.

Back
Top Bottom