"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-04-2015, 12:18 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
No offense, but I've heard this argument before and it's always from people who think their physician is helping them survive some major illness. Your attitude will change once you go to medical school.
I worked at a medical school for 14 years. I knew many of the faculty very well, both physicians and researchers, and since I was the website manager, I edited the curriculum (and everything else) before posting it on the website.

My physicians *are* doing their best to help me. It's sad that you're so cynical.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I worked at a medical school for 14 years. I knew many of the faculty very well, both physicians and researchers, and since I was the website manager, I edited the curriculum (and everything else) before posting it on the website.

My physicians *are* doing their best to help me. It's sad that you're so cynical.

Good luck with that.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

GG, I am with you. My youngest son practices medicine. And according to our poster, he is saying that my son is only interested in killing patients? Not helping them and finding an answer to their illnesses?

That must have been some humdinger of a medical school if they were teaching their students to "not" cure their patients.

Our friend sounds like he was unable to cut it in medical school. It is not an easy profession to be a part of. Perhaps he was one of those that fainted at the sight of blood. Yes, they do have them in medical school. And you know what the others do when that happens? The other folks in the room just step over the fainter. Perhaps he didn't like being ignored when he felt he had a medical emergency.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
GG, I am with you. My youngest son practices medicine. And according to our poster, he is saying that my son is only interested in killing patients? Not helping them and finding an answer to their illnesses?

That must have been some humdinger of a medical school if they were teaching their students to "not" cure their patients.

Our friend sounds like he was unable to cut it in medical school. It is not an easy profession to be a part of. Perhaps he was one of those that fainted at the sight of blood. Yes, they do have them in medical school. And you know what the others do when that happens? The other folks in the room just step over the fainter. Perhaps he didn't like being ignored when he felt he had a medical emergency.

Perhaps if you were actually familiar with my history (military and graduate school) your post would have some factual basis.. and your credibility wouldn't have taken a downturn. Your opinion is not my reality.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
Perhaps if you were actually familiar with my history (military and graduate school) your post would have some factual basis.. and your credibility wouldn't have taken a downturn. Your opinion is not my reality.
Okay.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #26
Senior Cook

This is me, 30 minutes ago, after a three-mile run. I run every other day.
Blood pressure: 97/65
BPM: 66
Medical conditions: none
Medications: none
Allergies: NKA
Weight: 135 U.S. pounds

Notice the tattoo on my left forearm.. I've been involved in medical training for over 30 years. I would still be in a wheelchair and on several medications if I had listened to physicians years ago. I decided to prove them wrong. mission accomplished!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	23198  
Old 08-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

I'm with Ardchoille on this one. I've personally witnessed people getting off of diabetes medications simply by changing the food they eat. The body is an amazing machine and given the right materials, it can fix itself pretty well. "Biohacking" is a relatively new concept, at least in the mainstream, but it makes perfect sense both on paper and in practice.

I don't mean any disrespect to people in the medical community, but there is something wrong with the idea of treating the symptom rather than the cause. Not to mention, have you ever really listened to the possible side effects for these new medications? Don't you think there is something wrong with an anti-depression medication that may lead to suicidal thoughts or actions? Aren't those the actions of a depressed person? Why should you have to double down on your anti-depression medication and top it with ANOTHER anti-depression medication?

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food."

Again, there is definitely something to be said for all the advances in medical science, surgeries and such, but if you actually have to warn people they might get lymphoma from taking a medication for an ailment they already have, it means someone in the trials got lymphoma and potentially from that medication. Time to work on the formula a little harder if you ask me.

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
AnthonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ View Post
I'm with Ardchoille on this one. I've personally witnessed people getting off of diabetes medications simply by changing the food they eat. The body is an amazing machine and given the right materials, it can fix itself pretty well. "Biohacking" is a relatively new concept, at least in the mainstream, but it makes perfect sense both on paper and in practice.

I don't mean any disrespect to people in the medical community, but there is something wrong with the idea of treating the symptom rather than the cause. Not to mention, have you ever really listened to the possible side effects for these new medications? Don't you think there is something wrong with an anti-depression medication that may lead to suicidal thoughts or actions? Aren't those the actions of a depressed person? Why should you have to double down on your anti-depression medication and top it with ANOTHER anti-depression medication?

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food."

Again, there is definitely something to be said for all the advances in medical science, surgeries and such, but if you actually have to warn people they might get lymphoma from taking a medication for an ailment they already have, it means someone in the trials got lymphoma and potentially from that medication. Time to work on the formula a little harder if you ask me.

Thank you so very much! I couldn't have said it better myself. Diet is key. Garbage in, garbage out. After everything I've seen in my 51 years, I am of the opinion that western medicine is in the business of making money, not curing disease.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

All I can say is you people are seeing the wrong doctors. There's always a risk-benefit analysis to be done when considering any medication. Good doctors do try to treat a disease rather than symptoms. Not everything can be cured, though. That's just how life is.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Btw, diet can help with Type 2 diabetes, which is caused in part by poor diet, but it won't help with Type 1.