Gosling's Black Seal Rum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aruzinsky

Washing Up
goslings.jpg

I just tried this for the first time. As you know, rum is made from molasses. Well this rum tastes more like molasses than any other rum that I have tried. It is sort of like essence of molasses. The flavor is as strong as that of Myers's Rum which makes it suitable for cooking.

It is used in the national mixed drink of Bermuda, Dark n Stormy, http://www.goslings.com/darkandstormy.htm.

You can find a distributor here http://www.goslings.com/distributorlocator.html

The only listed distributor in the Chicago area is defunct, so I got it by special order at my local liquor store. He has a case, so if anyone in the Chicago area wants some, I can give you the store's name and address.

Also, you can buy it online here http://www.johnwalker.com/a_spirit_rum.aspx.

Unfortunately, the price is around $24 and it is not likely to be on sale. In contrast, the common, popular Myers's Rum is often on sale for around $13.

i have a bottle of that at home aruz. watch out for those dark and stormy's. had a few in bermuda, whoa, they've got a kick. i think you put the rum in it to kill the flavor of the ginger beer.

i'm working on getting a recipe that uses it, along with sweet sherry, bay leaves and garlic to marinate pork chops. (have to go see an old flame to get the recipe, but i'm chicken)

buckytom said:
i have a bottle of that at home aruz. watch out for those dark and stormy's. had a few in bermuda, whoa, they've got a kick. i think you put the rum in it to kill the flavor of the ginger beer.

i'm working on getting a recipe that uses it, along with sweet sherry, bay leaves and garlic to marinate pork chops. (have to go see an old flame to get the recipe, but i'm chicken)

Do you agree on my assessment of the flavor?

BTW, I just found a bargain price online liquor store that sells it for $13.99.
http://www.missionliquor.com/Store/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=007&DEPT=000002&BACK=A0042A1

i think you hit the nail on the head. it does taste more like molasses. do you know if that's how it gets it's color? or is it from something else like charred barrels or something?

buckytom said:
i think you hit the nail on the head. it does taste more like molasses. do you know if that's how it gets it's color? or is it from something else like charred barrels or something?

I have no idea.

I don't drink rum, but the bottle is pretty! lol It does sound like it would be interesting to cook with though.

:) Barbara

Rum

Thanks for the picture and description. Sounds like a winner. I like molassas and did you say put it in ginger beer? We all like ginger beer here and if this is added to it must be good combination. Even found better price. I live in St Louis but Chicago is the place to be.

Rum

I have bacardi rum right now, what do you think of that? How do you like it? I put it in Coke.

Bacardi is too sweet for me, ITK. But then I'm not a big fan of sweet alcholic dirnks. I do like this Barbados rum, Mount Gay, that my dad turned me on to. It's not as sweet, and tastes great with a splash of water and a wedge of lime.

I usually only buy a bottle when the folks are visiting, so can't tell you if it's expensive or reasonable, price-wise.

mudbug: I am going to go to the store with this printout and t ry and locate this drinks. Does anyone feel that the more you pay for liqour the less if affects you? I mean make you sick? I found out cheap wine really bothers me. If I drink better wine not bad at all. I really try to limit my drinking but if I do I want something I won't have headache forever. Thanks

Re: Rum

In the Kitchen said:
Thanks for the picture and description. Sounds like a winner. I like molassas and did you say put it in ginger beer? We all like ginger beer here and if this is added to it must be good combination. Even found better price. I live in St Louis but Chicago is the place to be.

heya itk, a dark and stormy is 1/2 ginger beer, 1/2 gosling's black seal rum. it's the national drink of bermuda. they are potent, watch out......

Goslings Black Seal Rum

buckytom: I am going to invest in the rum just to see how good it is. You sold me. And from Bermuda too. Bet that was a great place or didn't you like it. On my honeymoon went to Mexico and I don't want to go back no matter how beautyful it was. My ex came home with you know what because he said we should live the way they do. HO HO HO. 4-6 months later he still have souvenir of that place. Needless to say vanity was out the window. To the day our marriage ended he would not acknowledge he should have listened to me. I was fearful of other people telling me that I should take precaution he didn't want to listen. After 25 years he still never paid attention. Long time to not learn. Right? I wish I had a dark and stormy now when I think of time lost.

sorry to hear that itk, but i'd imagine we'd be talking to you from prison if you had a few dark and stormy's.

bermuda was great. went there with an old girlfriend; stayed on an estate of friends of her family. got to ride horses on the beach all day, and drink good english beer and snifters of gran marnier with a nice cuban stogey at night. i brought my rollerblades and skated about 1/2 of the island with the ol' ball and chain on a moped following me. the bermuda police stopped us because they said it was against the law to skate on the raods there. but instead of giving us a hard time, they gave me a bottle of water, a newspaper, and a ride back to our estate. it was funny.

i would go there again, but dw is against going anywhere i'd been with ex's, so i doubt i'll ever see the pink sand beaches again. same goes with mexico and a few other places, sigh....

Boy, you got some nice memories! I love to read about them. Sounds like you had enjoyed yourself no matter what. I would like to go to Africa to see all the different wildlife there. The animals not the people. Understand they are kind of wild too in their own way. Saw the movie Out of Africa and looked so beautiful. Not lot of people to throw litter and put up theme parks yet. Wonder if it will stay that way? Why do people want to change the environment? I rather have mountains to look at than rides to go on. Guess you call me real killjoy but I like things in natural state. Even my food when I can. When I was younger my mother even let us eat raw eggs. Not bad but mixed with milk and banana. You got ex too? Guess after certain age it happens. Mine lasted 25 years that was enough for one lifetime. At least you got courage to try again. Wish you best and much more.

thanks itk. this is my first marriage. i lived with my last 2 serious relationships for a few years each, so i consider them ex's.

i'm with you on the nature thing. give me a mountain or a beach or lake in it's natural state anyday, over cities and shopping malls and theme parks....

buckytom, I wish you lot of luck and happiness with your marriage. May it be your first and last. That is the best. Both my brothers try second time and said it would have been better if first marriage was last. Of course, my other brother his wife died and this girl married him 6 months later but no good either. Should have stayed single. Hope your wife feels the same way you do about nature. Doesn't cost that much either. As I said I wish you the best. You sound like good person and make me laugh when I read some of your posts.

buckytom said:
i would go there again, but dw is against going anywhere i'd been with ex's, so i doubt i'll ever see the pink sand beaches again. same goes with mexico and a few other places, sigh....
Buckytom,

You need to quit telling your wife where you've been!

:) Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom