"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 03-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Question Yuengling Beer

Hubby bought 3 six-packs of Yuengling beer the other day, a Black & Tan, a Lager, & a Light Lager. I'm curious as to what to expect since the only beer I drink is Mich ultra or ultra amber. Has anyone here tried it & what did you think? I'm willing to try anything at least once. The funny thing about hubby buying this is that he dosen't even drink beer!! His brother said I might like it so he thought he'd surprise me. Gotta love him for that!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
Sous Chef

It's funny you posted about this beer because today was the first time I had ever seen the brand before. What a coincidence!!

Old 03-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Yuengling is America's oldest continuous brewery...Pottsville, PA. (pronounced Yingling) It is quality brew. The black and tan is a mild stout mixed with lager, the lager is a full flavor amber beer, and the lite is a lite version of it. These are milder than say Pete's Wicked Ales or Sam Adams, but in the same league for sure. The Lord Chesterfield Ale is a good full bodied Ale, also one of theirs.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Thanks Robo, I'll give one of them & try tonight.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
Master Chef

Don't get me started - lol!!!

Dark beer lover that I am, many years ago I fell in LOVE with Yuengling's Porter. It was rich, not too bitter, & very reasonably priced. You could buy it nearly anywhere & everywhere that sold beer in Virginia.

Then it started only appearing in markets during the fall & winter months, & I'd stock up. Then it started only appearing once in awhile in specialty beverage markets.

Now it appears NOWHERE!! I do believe they still make it, but I haven't enjoyed one in about 5 years, & I MISS IT!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Yeh, their Porter is still available; my guess is local carriers didn't think it sold enough to keep in stock. Ask em to order you a case or two and buy a beer fridge!
Old 03-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Love Yuengling.

Always buy when I am down in the states.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:53 PM   #8
Cook

Yuengling is alive and going strong in Pottsville, Pennsylvania. Since Rolling Rock sold out to (Bleech) Budwe....I can't even spell that name out anymore, Yuengling along with Straub in St. Marys are Pennsylvania's only mid-size brewers. But there are a lot and I do mean a lot of craft brewers like Appalachian and Lancaster and Red Star and Troegs that make excellent craft brews. Some of the best anywhere. As a proud Pennsylvanian I drink
Yuengling and prefer their Premium to their Lager which is their flagship brew these days. I like their B&T, Porter and Ale and depending on my mood I will buy them too. Enjoy. Yuengling is a legacy of Pennsylvania's rich brewing tradition.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #9
Master Chef

I'm glad to hear it MJK. I just wish they were still selling their Porter here in VA like they used to.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

I have had Yuengling and enjoyed it. I remember in college all my friends in the PA area raved about it.

I never see it up here in MA, but recently had it in NJ at my cousins wedding. I had the black and tan which was not bad at all. It would not be something I would pay for as I think there are much better beers out there, but it really is not bad at all. I have not tried the porter though so if I ever see it I will give it a shot.