"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 09-28-2016, 06:00 AM   #21
Sous Chef

No pumpkin so far but it has been a dry year this year and Swedes are not that into pumpkins so I might not find them.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:04 AM   #22
Sous Chef

Also I do have a problem, pumpkin is pumpa in Swedish and some of what you call pumpkin we call squash and what you call squash some are called pumpa here.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:33 AM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Just pick your favorite squash and recipe. It's all good.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
Thanks for opening up the challenge. I'm in. I grew bush butternut squashes this year; got 13 fruits

After all, it generally is a type of butternut squash that lurks inside those cans of "pumpkin".
http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-actua...lligence-69123
No, that's a rumor.

Quote:
WHAT'S TRUE:*As much of 90 percent of pumpkin sold in the U.S. (and 85 percent worldwide) is a proprietary cultivar known as a Dickinson pumpkin, which are less photogenic than the type of pumpkins commonly used for display purposes.

WHAT'S FALSE:*The majority of canned pumpkin is not a blend of butternut and winter squashes.
http://www.snopes.com/canned-pumpkin...ually-pumpkin/
Old 09-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, according to what I have rad so far, Libby's is the biggest seller of canned pumpkin in the US. And they developed and grow their own pumpkins. So for me, other than roasting my own, I will take Libby's word and continue to only use their brand.

I use to make my own. A lot of work. I always had more than needed for a pie, so there were several containers that went into the freezer. The containers held just enough for one recipe. Pumpkin cookies were always a surprise in the middle of June.

Pirate picked up two cans of Libby's today. I may use them for the cheesecake and pie for my SIL, or I just may pick up a couple of sugar pumpkins when I go shopping. Unfortunately, they are a bit on the pricey side right now. Maybe the price will go down a bit by then.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:29 AM   #26
Head Chef

Well, I made pumpkin sformato and Craig made the fonduta to go with. Due to the impending weather event and being tired, didn't make the salad part or take a pic. Pumpkin Sformato with Fonduta and Frisee Recipe : Mario Batali : Food Network . It was kind of a cross between a souffle and a quiche. There weren't no cubing of the pumpkin though. It was baked to a pulp, just fell out of the pumpkin skin/shell. And all I can say is Batali must really like his salt because both of us thought it was too salty. I'd make it again, just use butternut squash instead and definitely cut way down on the salt.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:00 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
...And all I can say is Batali must really like his salt because both of us thought it was too salty...
Apparently, his "salty as sea water" applies to more than just pasta cooking water!

Once again, stay safe you two. Hope Matthew ends up being less than predicted.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #28
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Okay, I'll throw my hat into the ring...
Our "upstairs" neighbor bought a "squash" at the farmer's market (she had no idea what it was, but "it looked cool") this past Saturday, brought it home, gave it to me saying, "I think that you could make something much tastier than I could".

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161004_202350.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	25495

Butternut Pasta Bake

I kinda, sorta, used this recipe:
Baked Pasta with Butternut Squash
My twist:
I baked a whole Butternut Squash the day prior, cooled it, peeled it, diced it
(therefore omitting the Chicken Broth);
leftout the Brussel Sprouts, also I only used half a pound (it calls for "a package") of Pasta and I may have used more than 4 ounces of Pancetta
I didn't taste this dish, because it went upstairs to Mrs&Mrs Landlord, DH does not care for Squash
Old 10-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

I am not a pumpkin fan. However, Dad invited neighbours over for pie and ice cream tomorrow. One of our caregivers brought over 2 little sugar pumpkins. What the heck, I should be able to make a pie??? I am not a pumpkin fan,,,however, I pricked the pumpkin with a fork and popped it in the oven at 400 in a pie tin. Let it cook for about 2-3 hours (I really didn't time it, just kept pricking it with a fork). When it was done, I scooped out the filling (dry roasted the seeds to eat later) and threw the pumpkin pulp in the FP. Then I added a bit of cream, an egg, some spices, etc. I made a crust and blind baked it for 9 minutes, put the filling in. Baked that until a knife came out clean. I have never made a pumpkin pie before using real pumpkin--always have used the canned stuff. It was amazing. We still have 3/4 of the pie left to serve to guests. Was it wrong of me to sample it tonight?
Old 10-22-2016, 11:09 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Wondering if I can use the left over meat (raw) from the Swedish meatballs, the egg noodles and gravy and layer that as a meatloaf with the noodles on the bottom...thinking of doing that in a muffin tin....

Tags
pumpkin