Pumpkin/Winter Squash Challenge - 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally my Pumpkin Queso Fundido! That pumpkin had been staring at me for days. :)

The recipe is here.

This is a fun dip, great for a party. The dip itself is very salty, I suggest my notes if you plan on making it. But definitely a do-again, I can't wait till DH sees it. And it makes for great photos!

pumpkin-queso-fundido-20161028173959649588dl9b8p.jpg

Well, you could always extend the date, since it is your challenge. Craig's got an idea of something he wants to do, just not sure when he was planning on doing it. Partly his own idea, partly a riff off of something a local pie business makes.

True, I'm just trying to be fair and not change the date. How do others feel about extending to Thanksgiving?

Baked empanadas with filling of roasted butternut squash, roasted and peeled poblano peppers, smoked gouda, carmelized onion as main ingredients. Craig also made the dipping sauce with cilantro, lime juice, garlic, and some other things I can't remember. I made the dough and put them together. He still has to type up the recipe as he made some changes to the original savory pie recipe he used as a base.
37240-albums1041-picture6714.jpg

True, I'm just trying to be fair and not change the date. How do others feel about extending to Thanksgiving?

I was about to say I couldn't participate either as I am in a major pain flair from going out on the weekend.

I take it I can extend it to the US Thanksgiving seeing as ours has already past ;):LOL:

There are some really great ideas happening!

Everything looks so good. I'm about ready to try out my inventions. I will have two to offer.

Let it go to the end of the year. That way folks can include any specials they make for the holidays!;)

We can do that, too! Okay, we will carry the Challenge on through the end of December. All pumpkin and winter squash ideas are welcome to participate!

Thanks Craig!

Now if I could quit cutting off chunks of my blanket and sewing back on the other end...

We used Alton Brown's recipe for B-nut squash gnocchi this time. It uses about equal mixtures of potato and squash puree. You could definitely taste the B-nut squash this time compared to the other recipe we used previously and the color is a lot darker too. Used frozen pureed squash that was drained in a colander and then heated in a pan until it was pretty dry. Cooled a bit before mixing with the warm potato and proceeding with recipe.

37240-albums1041-picture6785.jpg

Last edited:
This was the recipe we used previously that didn't have as much B-nut squash in it. You can definitely see the color difference.

37240-albums1042-picture6578.jpg

Dredging up this thread to show newer members some of the fun we've had here in the past. Here are some e other Golden Chef Challenges as well.

https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/golden-chef-fathers-day-challenge-98090.html

https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/who-wants-to-be-discuss-cookings-virtual-golden-chef-31790-2.html

https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f123/gccc-betterthanabox-69934.html

Sadly, we quit doing the Golden Chef Challenges due to a year of other life challenges that just got in the way.

If anyone wants to have new challenges, Then, have fun with them. Choose any ingredient you want to focus the challenge on. Male the dishes, and take pictures. If no one wants to do it, that's ok too. I am not in a kitchen where I could participate now. Just wanted to remember the fun from years past.:)

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom