Substitutions for ricotta cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just learning about this web site. please bear with me. I need a substitute for ricotta cheese. I thought I saw it, but, I lost it. Is it cottage cheese?

If I am making lasagna, I sometimes use cottage cheese instead of ricotta if I can't find any - it is not readily available here. But if I were making a dessert that called for ricotta, I would substitute any plain soft goat cheese, or even cream cheese. Depends on what you are making, like Jennyema said.

Like everyone else has mentioned - it really depends on what you are making. The Cook's Thesaurus Fresh Cheese page has more substitution suggestions than just cottage cheese (scroll down to ricotta cheese). In some cases cream cheese or yogurt might work - but the end results will be different.

Marscapone cheese is a very good substitute for Ricotta. . .Cream cheese is also pretty good. Marscapone can replace ricotta in many italian food items, such as lasagna, ravioli, etc. . . it has a very thick and creamy consistency, almost like cream cheese.

But as everyone else has mentioned, you have to tell us what in the recipe it is replacing!

I need a substitute ingredient for ricotta.

Hi Azgoode,

Why? Sorry, but it is not sufficient to just ask for a substitute - there needs to be a reason. So, why do you need a substitute (?) so that posters might give you good advice!

All the best,
Archiduc

Back
Top Bottom