"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Handwashing demonstration in the third floor Mens in 20 minutes.

I watched a couple of nursing school candidates who couldn't wash their hands correctly, I think they went on to other degrees and are working at a fast food restaurant now.

I believe it!

Old 01-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #22
Master Chef

As always let me be the only one who disagrees. Depends on size of the pot, on the time it was left out, on the time it was dicovered. I often leave the soup pot out till the morning to cool.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #23
Master Chef

Use common sense and let time and temperature be the guide.....but of course, the level of common sense differs from person to person...
Old 01-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaZ View Post
... Poultry carries salmonella as a natural bacteria to help digest the grain they eat, it can stick around and/or be transferred to the food if preparation and refrigeration is not done carefully. ...
I couldn't find anything that indicates that salmonella aids in the digestion of grain in poultry. I know that doesn't prove it. If anyone has any references to this I would be curious to see.

I doubt that it is necessary to digestion in poultry. Sweden has the lowest rate of salmonella in the EU. They test for salmonella in poultry and poultry poop and destroy infected flocks.

They still have a poultry industry.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #25
Master Chef

It also depends on your comfort level with consuming poultry. Yakitori houses, for instance, and even some here in the U.S. serve chicken sashimi (sushi grade) where health codes allow.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #26
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaZ View Post
38-40 degrees is the recommended refrigeration temp for storing food - that's probably why you didn't die. If you check your home fridge it is probably the same temp - I have a digital readout on mine that keeps the temp at 38 degrees. Without sounding like a pretentious know it all, and I'm not picking on anyone here - everyone please refrigerate your food. It slows the growth of the bacteria that will make you sick especially with poultry items. Poultry carries salmonella as a natural bacteria to help digest the grain they eat, it can stick around and/or be transferred to the food if preparation and refrigeration is not done carefully. Please don't eat food left out at room temp for longer than 3-4 hours. Restaurant food brought home should be consumed within 24 hours after refrigerating it. If it's not eaten - throw it out. Whose hands have touched it and how long did it sit around before you got it? I'm an old hospital infection control nurse - such horror stories I could tell you about food left out for long periods and then consumed. It's not a pretty picture. I know no one wants to waste food, but there are limits of safety and they really should not be taken lightly. We are not at the top of the food chain - the bacteria are - is? I could do a disseration on handwashing too, but I'll save that for another post. *she steps down off her soap box*
You sound like an infections control nurse....oh, that's right...
Old 01-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Use common sense and let time and temperature be the guide.....but of course, the level of common sense differs from person to person...
You are so right there, Roadfix. Common sense is not so common.

It always amazes me how often this question is asked by someone who drops in to ask "should I throw it out"?
Of course you should throw it out, you are not starving are you?
I think of the millions upon millions of people in the third world who have to eat dangerous food because they simply don't own refrigerators. That thought alone should make us all more respectful of taking care of our food before it becomes poison.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

When in doubt, Throw it out!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
As always let me be the only one who disagrees. Depends on size of the pot, on the time it was left out, on the time it was dicovered. I often leave the soup pot out till the morning to cool.
The size of the pot doesn't matter.

The temperature of the food is what matters. If its temperature is between 40 and 140 for more than 2 hours it's considered unsafe. One might go past thieve hour rule, but overnight is a no brained: toss it.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #30
Master Chef

What she said........^

Again, I think those who feel differently are at least inadvertently promoting dangerous practices on a public forum.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken, soup