"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cooked Vegetables Hazard

What is the scientific explanation of why the cooking process makes vegetables potentially hazardous ?

Old 09-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC.

Please elaborate a little. I don't understand your question. Who said the cooking process makes veggies hazardous? Tell me more.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

The only thing I can think of is that cooking uses heat and there can be hazards from heat coming in contact with your person. For instance, if you were boiling corn the boiling water could spill on you if you are not careful or if you are grilling tomatoes then the fire from the grill or the piping hot tomatoes could burn you if you are careless. I have never heard of any hazards from eating cooked veggies though if that is what you are getting at.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Executive Chef

a quick search shows various articles on the hazards of microwaving veg...breaks cell structure and nutrients. Really didn't do a ddep search and some of this may be urban legend. Obviously some loss or change is inevitable with doing anything other than stuffing food in your mouth right out in the field in which it is grown. Peeling, cooking etc does remove some vitamins etc. Once again the goal should be balance. A diet high in fruits and veg, some raw some cooked, various cooking methods used, etc.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Would those really be considered hazards though or just not the best ways to cook them (not that I agree or disagree with them)?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
you know, I think sometimes reading can be hazardous to our health, too. There are a million and a half "experts" out there in one thing or another. If we discontinued eating all the food that has been suggested to be bad for us (who else remembers the nitrites in spinach?) there wouldn't be much to eat.

Pretty much, we each need to decide what our particular bodies need and want. Imho, mine does a pretty good jjob of letting me know when I've eaten something it doesn't like) and just do the best we can. It's a veritable minefield out there!

I'm guessing that the OP has read something from a raw vegan site that is saying that cooking vegetables renders them nutritionless. I've read that, but I continue to cook my vegetables. there are not too many veggies I find palatable raw, other than carrots, celery and salad greens, so I may cook even more veggies than other folks, but that's me.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Hazardous and nutritionless are different things altogether though. Not to say that is not what the OP was getting at of course, but I think we need some clarification.

If the OP is in fact talking about nutrition then it is important to keep in mind that some veggies you will only gain max nutrition from if they are cooked. Spinach is a prime example. Raw spinach is no where near as nutritious as cooked.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
If cook down mustard greens enough I think you could get mustard gas that is lethal in high concentrations
danpeikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

cooked vegetables

After vegetables are cooked or heat treated they are considered a TCS food. By using the 4 hour rule they should be refrigerated and treated like any other potentially hazardous food. Does this apply to all vegetables ?
Old 09-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeikes View Post
If cook down mustard greens enough I think you could get mustard gas that is lethal in high concentrations
I believe you only get toxic mustard gas if you're mixing mustard concentrate with ethylene and hydrochloric acid. Otherwise what you get is a stinky kitchen!