How long can I keep these for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Archeologists recently found honey in the tombs of ancient Egyptians, and it was still good! If it has crystallized, just gently heat it. Hopefully there are no mummies in it.

Honey is also useful as an antiseptic. Good stuff from bee poop!

Last edited:
Jovin! Long time no see my friend! Neither spoils quickly. I shouldn't admit this but we have had cocoa in the cupboard for years! ;)

I admit to having 10 year old cocoa powder. My honey is almost gone.

Thanks, everyone.

I tried to post a message last night, but this computer decided NOT TO DO IT! It's on its last legs and I'm trying to get it "overhauled."

I appreciate the answers, and I, too, have cocoa that is about three years old. I'm glad I posted, and thank you all for your insight.

Alix, you remember me? I'm very flattered. Oh, but how many dorky people write 50 questions about making coffee? Probably just me. :LOL::LOL:

Thanks again,
Jovin

I have a box of cocoa that's seven years old and last year I threw out honey (hadn't crystalized or anything, just didn't feel good about using it) that I had since I brought my house that was 20 years ago.....

I don't know about you guys but it makes me a little bit suspicious of honey that it will last forever.

I don't trust things that don't die.

Cocoa lasts a long time if kept in a cool, dry place, but the flavors will start to fade after a few years.

:LOL:

Cocoa was never alive, so it cant die... That's my idea! :LOL:

So I kept a dutch cocoa for more then 12 years, but in the end I didn't trust to eat it, despite it looked and smelled perfect.

I had to go look at mine!

I must use more cocoa than you guys. My old, almost empty container of it is August 2010 and the new unopened one is Jan 2011.

I use a large pantry, so once in awhile I find antique foods in there that have been behind something. Found some boxed Scalloped Potatoes in there that were 11 years old once. Tossed em. They were dehydrated, but I still didn't trust em at that age.

Honey and cocoa are two things that never get old in my house!
Yeah those are a couple of things that I would still use even after a couple of years if I needed to.

I don't think either are a big worry, they just might be past their best after a few months

Back
Top Bottom